Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:17 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,628,177 times

Advertisements

His early movies — Above the Law, Hard to Kill, Marked for Death, Out for Justice — all range from very good to not-so-good, but are his most watchable.

Under Siege is a fun flick, but it has an added boost from a couple other major actors, too. So it's not "just" a Seagal movie.

Executive Decision is a good movie, but that's not really a Seagal movie either because [spoiler] he gets killed off pretty quickly!

I think one of his better/best post-prime movies is Exit Wounds.

The other night, El Rey Theater ran Belly of the Beast, from 2004. It's laughably bad, but worth watching for the OTT "fight" between Seagal and the ladyboy assassin. I won't give away the line he says when the ladyboy gets pissed off and removes "her" bra. The only thing s/he did that didn't involve wires!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 12:53 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,474,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
How about his first movie bud? (Above the law - 1988) Didnt you think that one was good? (I love that also)
Okay, he made 2 good movies.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:30 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,369,175 times
Fire Down Below is one of my fav.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:24 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,216,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
As much of a D-bag he ended up being and as cheesy as the majority of his movies were, there are two things that are the real deal with him. His Akido skills and how well he is with firearms. He is also an avid custom 1911 (handgun) collector.

To take what scarabchuck indicated just a little bit further, yes he is big into 1911's more specifically Ed Brown's from what I understand.

I read an article years ago about Steven Seagal, when teaching others to shoot, he does not shoot for bullseyes; instead he teaches to shoot for bullet holes. Steven Seagal believes you should be able to put all of your shot's through the same bullet hole, with no real difference in the size of the bullet hole. When you can do that you have mastered that weapon.

The rest of the article had the writer and Steven Seagal shooting rifle size targets. The author of the article was coming down with some rifles, and the distance from what I understand was about 50 yards or so; and the author could see Steven Seagal shooting at some diamond shaped rifle targets; Steven had shot out the center of the target, the top of the diamond, the left point of the diamond, the right point of the diamond, and the bottom of the diamond with his pistol. The author then indicated "if you can shoot like that, why did I bring down these rifles, Steven Seagal indicated the rifles are for you, the pistols are for me"

Old 03-12-2016, 10:08 AM

13,309 posts, read 7,353,468 times
I have seen his reality shows where he is a sheriff deputy in Louisiana, but I think his first above the law, hard to kill, and marked for death were all very entertaining. His Aikido skills made his movies unique and different.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:58 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,149,676 times
His fight against William Forsythe in Out for Justice was memorable, Though it really just a one sided beatdown. Williams clumsy crash into the table was funny actually.

His best was Marked for death against the thugs in the jewlery store.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:39 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,648,535 times
The bar fight in Out for Justice, the cue ball in the bar towel was just cool. Marked for Death had its moments, so did Hard to Kill. I liked all his earlier stuff, as he utilized his Aikido skills to good effect. The later stuff where he started using wire fighting and the use of the Kung Fu , floating in the air stuff was quite....disappointing, with a complete lack of any realism. Starting with The Glimmer Man. Out for Justice was my favorite with above the law coming in a close second.

I much preferred the movies where he stuck with Aikido. The more recent Kung fu, wire fighting stuff, well, it just sucks.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:45 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,556,293 times
The one where was sucked out of an airplane within the first 15-20 mins of the movie starting. I never liked him. You never saw him get hit or go down, Hell, even Bruce Lee took a hit. To much ego for me.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:58 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,868,715 times
BOO HISS!!!!!!!

I think he is 1 of the best!!

Old 03-14-2016, 12:35 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,556,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
BOO HISS!!!!!!!

I think he is 1 of the best!!

He never gets hit or gets hurt it gets a bit old. Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, Jet Lei, all takes a hit & gets hurt.
I guess I like a bit more reality in my fight scenes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies