Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 01:56 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times

Advertisements

We've seen the hint in Predator 2, and then there were the Alien vs Predator movies that tied the two species into the same universe.

These movies seem to take place in and around more recent times(1980s to present day).
But by the time we get to the eras that the strictly Alien movies take place in(22nd century and on), there seems to be no mention or glimpse of the Predator species.

This leads me to believe that the Predators were ultimately wiped out by the Xenomorphs, or pretty much went isolation and gave up on dealing with them altogether.

It's just fiction and whatnot, but what's everyone elses take on the absence of Predators in the later timelines of the franchise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 06:13 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
I never saw Predator 2 nor AvP, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the latter. AvP was an attempt to sell toys and video games. I'd be shocked if there was an ounce of coherent continuity in it.

The ALIEN and Predator storylines never should have mixed. They're too different.

The ALIEN universe is genuine science fiction. With a heavy dose of horror and action, to be sure, but they still try to be at least a little smart, considering the aliens' life cycle, biology, psychology, etc, as well as what the future of human society, economy, etc. might be like.

The PREDATOR universe was just an excuse for a bunch of soldiers of fortune to fight a monster in the jungle. Don't get me wrong. It's a great movie. But it never once even tries to be a little smart. It's an action flick. Just love it for what it is.

Mixing ALIEN with PREDATOR would be like mixing a ROCKY movie with ROCK 'EM SOCK 'EM: The Movie. Yeah, they're both boxing movies, but that is where the comparison ends.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:32 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Doesn't the whole "Alien Vs Predator" thing come from an old video game? Both franchises were essentially dead at the time but the video game series it spawned was fairly popular so we got a series of crappy movies too.

Anyway, I can't see Predator mixing with the rebooted alien franchise of Prometheus but for argument's sake you could say that humanity was by then just as advanced technologically as the Predators and far more numerous. Plus, a common thread in the Predator movies (after the first one) is about the Predators starting to respect humans more and more... didn't they even work together with humans against the xenomorphs in the last movie? I never saw it.

Maybe the Predators simply saw humans as equals by that time instead of prey to hunt?

Old 06-05-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Doesn't the whole "Alien Vs Predator" thing come from an old video game?
I think it was a comic book originally, but I may be wrong.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:17 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
In Predator 2 there's an alien skull(which makes no sense, xenomorphs have exoskeletons) in the predators' trophy case and I think that's what really sparked the crossover. That said, AvP is really stupid(Requiem is meh) and Prometheus really screws everything up so it's all just fan fiction.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:43 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
I think both movies were best when they were separate, each in their own series. Aliens 1 and 2 were fantastic, as were Predator 1 and 2. The rest of them have been crap, IMO.

Predator and Alien series are known for horrific violence, with all movies being rated R. So here they made Alien vs Predator, with our two monsters meeting each other, and it's PG-13?! Shame on Hollywood

As far as not seeing any signs of predators in the Alien movies, I think they just didn't have any place in the story. Alien and Aliens had nothing to do with predators.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:01 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Doesn't the whole "Alien Vs Predator" thing come from an old video game? Both franchises were essentially dead at the time but the video game series it spawned was fairly popular so we got a series of crappy movies too.

Anyway, I can't see Predator mixing with the rebooted alien franchise of Prometheus but for argument's sake you could say that humanity was by then just as advanced technologically as the Predators and far more numerous. Plus, a common thread in the Predator movies (after the first one) is about the Predators starting to respect humans more and more... didn't they even work together with humans against the xenomorphs in the last movie? I never saw it.

Maybe the Predators simply saw humans as equals by that time instead of prey to hunt?
Never thought about it like that, but it could be a possibility.
They noticed they were gaining grounds in Faster-Than-Light travel and were commencing exploration on planets outside of the Solar System.
At that point, the Predators were convinced that these were a true, space-faring species and didn't require their interference.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:24 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:

I recall this was in the first movie. The Predator put war paint of some sort on a Human that killed a Xenomorph. According to the lore, The Predators have a strong code of honor and would indeed respect Humans who were warriors. They gave Danny Glover an old gun in Predator 2 after he even took out one of their own.

I think too the series should have been kept separate. The Predators seem to have a much more elaborate and interesting history then Xenomorphs.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
The Predators seem to have a much more elaborate and interesting history then Xenomorphs.
Predator was pretty obviously sentient, intelligent, and possessed of advanced technology.

The xenomorphs were just animals. Intelligent animals? Maybe. But they have no tech. Society isn't any more advanced than bees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies