Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 05:54 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,640,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Batman rises from a cave into the light...
That was not an allusion to Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 06:12 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,193,882 times
I do watch the shows(except Legends, it's too schlocky for me). I've never missed an episode of Arrow. I just recognize that most of the actors kind of suck. Amell is definitely CW-caliber and Gustin is not "darned good." Caity Lotz is good(what was that android/AI movie she was in? She was very good in that) and I like Routh quite a bit(how did you know he's my second favorite Superman?) but Wentworth Miller is objectively terrible. He makes me cringe every time he's on screen in these shows.
At best these casts are a mixed bag.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That was not an allusion to Christ.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:16 PM

It was an allusion to Bruce's fall from grace and subsequent rise from adversity. There was no connection between a bat vortex lifting him and the Resurrection.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Caity Lotz is good(what was that android/AI movie she was in? She was very good in that) and I like Routh quite a bit(how did you know he's my second favorite Superman?)
I know that much, and that the people you know who are "in the industry" work the concessions.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
It was an allusion to Bruce's fall from grace and subsequent rise from adversity. There was no connection between a bat vortex lifting him and the Resurrection.
His fall from grace? His parents died. That's not a fall from grace, it's a tragedy. And his rise from adversity was to become a murderer.

It was Christ imagery because Snyder is an idiot.

Quote:
I know that much, and that the people you know who are "in the industry" work the concessions.
...what?

Old 04-07-2016, 06:39 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
Quote:
It's an op-ed piece. He makes some really good points. You have to take in that whole paragraph, not just the opening line:
I read the whole article and agreed with large chunks of it. But his opening sentence is absurd.

Quote:
His point is that isn't built on a foundation of buffoonery and unnecessary humor. You won't get Superman peering down into a pool of water going "Lois! I see you through this rock! You forgot your bathing suit?"
Yep. I am the first to groan and roll my eyes at Whedon's incessant snarkery. But that doesn't mean even dark or thrilling movies don't need some moments of levity.

Look at DIE HARD. The single greatest action movie ever made, and I will fight anyone who says different. Really grim in parts. Thrilling. Violent. But it also has moments of great humor, from both the good guys and the bad guys.

Or JAWS or RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. The two greatest adventure stories ever put to film. Both had wild action, genuine scares, and very emotionally moving scenes. But both also had some great moments of humor.

Even SILENCE OF THE LAMBS offered up an occasional chuckle, albeit very dark humor.

I still haven't seen BvS and won't till the DVD, but I gather many of the complaints about it are not that it is just humorless, but it's downright morose. You can't sit through something like that for over two hours and not want to drip lemon juice in your eyes. Believe me, I know. I sat through BEACHES.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:07 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,975,967 times
Here's the thing, I'd argue that if you look at anything a certain way, you'd end up seeing whatever you want in anything. Zack Snyder's Superman beats you over the head with the Jesus theme
Spoiler
especially in the end of the film.
but yet Batman only has that one scene of him falling down the well (the same one we've seen in every move that introduces Batman) that you can see it if you look that way. To me, this scene isn't a Jesus theme. That don't mean it isn't to you but to me this cigar is just a cigar (and not a big brown ****.)

Old 04-07-2016, 08:36 PM

BvS is the only movie to show Bruce falling into darkness and then miraculously lifted up to the light. It's Jesus ascending to heaven after the resurrection. He literally ascends from a cave.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
BvS is the only movie to show Bruce falling into darkness and then miraculously lifted up to the light. It's Jesus ascending to heaven after the resurrection. He literally ascends from a cave.
The dream-vision of his ascent actually implies an eventual descent, i.e. the spirit of vengeance that embodies the Batman. This isn't Batman Begins Bruce Wayne. The ascent comes when he realizes Superman is not the evil, fearful entity he wanted to put down. Bruce realizes he can save his Martha in the present. He's no longer powerless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies