Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 03:13 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,623,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You have this shift from Batman falling into despair because 'he let his parents die' to turning that into a positive condition ("I failed him in life, I will not fail him in death").

The bat-symbol is fantastically reinterpreted to stand for a child being pulled from the darkness, from the perspective of someone still in it. (Of course, in the Nolan film this shot is referring to, it was Bruce's father who pulled him out. Snyder replaces the literal father with an ambivalent light, and has Bruce pushed up from beneath).

“In the dream, they took me into the light, a beautiful lie.”

He specifically says that the dream was a beautiful lie because this dream represents the birth of Batman, the bats lifting him show that he found some hope in this bat image, but later became disenchanted after 20 years of fighting crime, that's the beautiful lie he's talking about. At this point in time, he believes that being Batman didn't amount to anything of value.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinemati...ie_in_america/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 10:49 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,187,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The dream-vision of his ascent actually implies an eventual descent, i.e. the spirit of vengeance that embodies the Batman. This isn't Batman Begins Bruce Wayne. The ascent comes when he realizes Superman is not the evil, fearful entity he wanted to put down. Bruce realizes he can save his Martha in the present. He's no longer powerless.
That is such a stretch.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 AM

Nope. It's overt. You're associating it with the Resurrection because you want to.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Nope. It's overt. You're associating it with the Resurrection because you want to.
Sorry, but you're a fanboy. Your opinion has no merit in this discussion.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:20 PM

^The butthurt is strong with this one.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
I loved the movie (and I was wrong on how it looked stuffed (though others saw that) but now one must fear for the movie's profitability in it of itself (no home release or merchandise additions, nor accounting smoke and mirrors.) I've heard estimates that for it to be as profitable as Man of Steel, Batman V. Superman needs about 1.15b in box office (source: IGN.) On top of that I stated on a Facebook group earlier in the week (not sure if I did here too) but with the weekend two dropoff, you had to wonder if Melissa McCarthy's The Boss could make a play for the top spot on the weekend box office. According to Box Office Mojo, it did on Friday. Between today and tomorrow, BVS has to make 2m more. Three weekends in for a blockbuster that nearly everyone had to see and it gets toppled by a comedy that on paper a month ago, everyone would say it had no chance to beat it? At the least BVS is a disappointment, at worst it is a failure.

And apparently on the back of Interstellar, Mad Max: Fury Road, San Andreas (though on New Line's books), Pan and now Batman V. Superman, they are releasing fewer films. Warner Bros. May Release Fewer Movies After Batman v Superman Underperforms

Old 04-09-2016, 02:42 PM

22,923 posts, read 28,298,223 times
This movie is certainly not a bomb and will turn a profit. But at current trends, it is actually going to make the studio less money than MAN OF STEEL did. So no, it isn't a bomb. But it is certainly a major disappointment for WB.

BOX OFFICE: BATMAN v SUPERMAN Expected To Be Less Profitable Than MAN OF STEEL; $1 Billion Haul Now Unlikely

Old 04-09-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
^The butthurt is strong with this one.
Who is butthurt here? The movie you've been fangasming over for months was a dud and you're desperate to try to defend it.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:50 PM

We agree to disagree.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:53 AM

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_rOVPF2s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies