Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 07:57 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,556,293 times

Advertisements

Going next Saturday wife doesn't like huge crowds but we're both looking forward to see WW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 09:12 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,377,338 times
I took my girls to a Thursday night showing. It was awesome. So, so awesome. Not really spoilers, but wanted to keep some of the details hidden.

Spoiler
The story, the cast, the characters, action sequences, and fight choreography. Gorgeously shot, especially themyscira. Wonder Woman has some incredible action sequences. There are Snyder-esque moments in the last act with the grand spectacle, but it was very well done, better than the last act in BvS. Great villain, too. One of the best superhero villains.

Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman, and she's phenomenal in the role. Charismatic, charming, endearingly naive, and yet powerful and determined in her quest to do what's right. Her journey to the outside world reminds me of Thor coming to Earth. But there's a sense of seriousness midway through when she finally sees the effects of war and its toll on man. It knows when to be light and fun, and when to be serious. And her chemistry with Chris Pine's Scott Trevor is one of the highlights. Their comedic timing, wit and believable interactions and dialog really adds necessary weight for the end of the last act. So many good things I could say about it. Loved it.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:38 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Default Why ‘Wonder Woman’ is less American than ever

Why ‘Wonder Woman’ is less American than ever | New York Post

Quote:
This new Wonder Woman, however, has almost nothing to do with America. The film is set during World War I, in London. Steve Trevor, the pilot Wonder Woman rescues and falls for, is American in name only — here, he’s working for British intelligence.

Most tellingly, Wonder Woman’s iconic costume has been leached of all color. The bald eagle on her chest, the white stars on her blue bottom, the red-and-white striped boots — all have disappeared. She’s no longer vibrant and strong; she’s sad, a pacifist whose armor resembles mourning attire.

When I began reading Wonder Woman in the 60s, I never actually considered her "American" despite the costume. By the 60s, the comics pretty consistently portrayed Wonder Woman as an "other worldly" citizen of her own nation, not as an American.

I doubt that author, Maureen Callahan, is older than I am. She's reaching all the way back to 1942 when things didn't look so good for the Allies, not everyone in the US was really yet on board, and the push for unified nationalism was at its peak. By the 60s, that had already been scaled back significantly.

And, frankly, the star-spangled costume was always rather silly (I thought it was silly as a kid in the 60s) and like so many comics costumes, they're even sillier in live action (I'm sure glad they didn't put Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye in his comics costume).

Interestingly, Maureen Callahan seems oblivious to the heavy sado-bondage implications of the early Wonder Woman...something practically everyone else notes with even a casual perusal of Golden Age issues. Makes me wonder if Maureen actually read any of them.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 AM

22,932 posts, read 28,314,157 times
Granted, I've never been the world's biggest Wonder Woman fan, but yeah, I have never considered Wonder Woman "American." She's an Amazon. And probably an illegal immigrant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And, frankly, the star-spangled costume was always rather silly (I thought it was silly as a kid in the 60s) and like so many comics costumes, they're even sillier in live action (I'm sure glad they didn't put Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye in his comics costume).
Yup.

Quote:
Interestingly, Maureen Callahan seems oblivious to the heavy sado-bondage implications of the early Wonder Woman...something practically everyone else notes with even a casual perusal of Golden Age issues. Makes me wonder if Maureen actually read any of them.
Yup yup. Reading the origins of Wonder Woman and her creator, it's more than a little creepy. The guy seemed like a perv.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:47 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,628,177 times
Quote:
Why ‘Wonder Woman’ is less American than ever | New York Post

When I began reading Wonder Woman in the 60s, I never actually considered her "American" despite the costume. By the 60s, the comics pretty consistently portrayed Wonder Woman as an "other worldly" citizen of her own nation, not as an American.

I doubt that author, Maureen Callahan, is older than I am. She's reaching all the way back to 1942 when things didn't look so good for the Allies, not everyone in the US was really yet on board, and the push for unified nationalism was at its peak. By the 60s, that had already been scaled back significantly.

It's safe to conclude that Callahan is Out. Of. Touch.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Reading the origins of Wonder Woman and her creator, it's more than a little creepy. The guy seemed like a perv.
Marston was a psychologist. I don't think he was a pervert. I think he felt women should not have to be afraid of asserting themselves as powerful, alluring, and even sexual beings.

Quote:
"Not even girls want to be girls so long as our feminine archetype lacks force, strength, and power. Not wanting to be girls, they don't want to be tender, submissive, peace-loving as good women are. Women's strong qualities have become despised because of their weakness. The obvious remedy is to create a feminine character with all the strength of Superman plus all the allure of a good (my emphasis) and beautiful woman."

Old 06-02-2017, 09:56 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Marston was a psychologist. I don't think he was a pervert. I think he felt women should not have to be afraid of asserting themselves as powerful, alluring, and even sexual beings.
I think he was a sado-masochist to the bone, cloaked in psycho-babble.

Quote:
"Not even girls want to be girls so long as our feminine archetype lacks force, strength, and power. Not wanting to be girls, they don't want to be tender, submissive, peace-loving as good women are. Women's strong qualities have become despised because of their weakness. The obvious remedy is to create a feminine character with all the strength of Superman plus all the allure of a good and beautiful woman."

And so he consistently portrayed this woman as easily forced into bound submission in nearly every issue. Sometimes bound and having her bottom spanked at the same time. Sometimes bound and gagged.

She was also frequently astride tumescent bombs that everyone knew in context were not "just a cigar."

Old 06-02-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
It's safe to conclude that Callahan is Out. Of. Touch.
Well, it was the New York Post, which is kind of like the National Enquirer with slightly better photos.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Marston was a psychologist. I don't think he was a pervert.
It is possible to be both. Marston was.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:48 AM

Well...I went and watched Wonder Woman last night. 7PM showing.

Short review: MARK? You're gonna LOVE it.

A fine, fine, fine origin film. Gal has been vindicated beyond a shadow of a doubt. And remember that guy Zack? Well, he's responsible for casting Gal. Both have forded the waters of resistance and emerged the victors here. Everyone, everywhere, is praising Gal's performance. It's a much better "fish out of water" movie than Thor, too. And so much more.

The principals are all fantastic. Not a weak link in the bunch! That means Gadot, Pine, Nielsen, Wright, and even Lucy Davis as Etta Candy.

Jenkins has crafted a wonderfully well-rounded film that blends naiveté, transition, jadedness, disillusionment, regret, redemption and sacrifice. In other words: the works.

And the rumors are true: the film DOES have HUMOR. And quite a bit of it. And it's not forced at all.

Spoiler territory:

Spoiler
With regard to some of that humor, this film even tackles the theme of sexual fulfillment. There's an early scene with Gadot and Pine that made the entire theater erupt in laughter. Kudos for Jenkins and Heinberg for tackling material that has yet to surface in a Marvel movie where it isn't treated like a lurid joke. Gadot and Pine have serious chemistry.

And, as you've seen in the trailers, yes, there's a substantial amount of slo-mo. BUT:

Spoiler
While a lot of people have complained about the extended action sequences in MoS and BvS, a sentiment I do not share, the battle scenes in Wonder Woman are shorter, and equally thrilling. Naturally, the final confrontation is a bit longer.

There are two good twists in the movie, one being the "god-killer" reveal.

I also think some of the CGI could have been tweaked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies