Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 03:31 PM

50 posts, read 209,423 times

Advertisements

Hi there-
Can anyone tell me about Marcel Lakes Estates in Dingmans Ferry, Pa? We are looking for homes in that area and my realtor said you get more home for the money there. It seems the lots are smaller, thats ok. My sister lives in Wild Acres and has a terrible flooding problem and doesnt even want me to look there. She also didnt recommend Birchwood. We are looking in Conasaugh and Pocono Woodlands but now I wonder if we should add Marcel to our list. I like the selection of homes and they are very large. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!
mom2KK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 08:42 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,467 times
I have been told that Marcel Lakes has possible issues down the road because they have their own central sewage plant, and it is specualted that it will have to expand at some point, that the people living there are going to have to pay. I have been told that it is not a nice place to live.

Conasaugh lakes is nice. Pocono Woodlands too.

My advice is to stick with them, or maybe look up at Sagamore Estates, Hinkel Estates, Walker Lake communities. I live in Walker Lake, there are some older houses here, but nice new one too with lower taxes and lower electric than milford. You will save $$ up here across the town line in Shohola. We are 15 minutes from Milford, maybe a little less. It is really quiet and there is a good elementary school here too.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:17 PM

50 posts, read 209,423 times
Hummm...I never heard of the ones you mentioned. Sagamore, Walker Hinkel. Ill ask my realtor. Is it still Pike Cty and Delaware School district? I only heard good things about Conasaugh and Woodlands but the prices of the homes are higher naturally. Thanks for your advice, Im trying to do some research on the sewer issue since I do not trust a realtor to tell me the truth. Been burned too many times I suppose.
Thanks!

Old 11-22-2006, 05:10 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,467 times
Pike county and delaware valley!

Ask Mark Heiblem, Century 21 (roy B hull) to show you around. He shoots straight from the hip...

ask him about the places when you get out househunting with him don't just call him up and ask it will make him uncomfortable.

He is a great realtor and knows the area well.

570-296-9921

I can recommend a good mortgage company if you wish.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:18 PM

18 posts, read 69,869 times
Winnie is absolutely correct. The sewage treatment plant is supposedly on it's last leg. The rates charged have increased twice in the six years I've been here. We may be mandated to install grinder pumps for each home, at our own expense.
The roads are no bargain either.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:47 AM

19 posts, read 96,950 times
Default Very good question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2KK View Post
Hi there-
Can anyone tell me about Marcel Lakes Estates in Dingmans Ferry, Pa? We are looking for homes in that area and my realtor said you get more home for the money there. It seems the lots are smaller, thats ok. My sister lives in Wild Acres and has a terrible flooding problem and doesnt even want me to look there. She also didnt recommend Birchwood. We are looking in Conasaugh and Pocono Woodlands but now I wonder if we should add Marcel to our list. I like the selection of homes and they are very large. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!
mom2KK
Hi , I would llike to Address your question, if I may. I don't know if anyone who already replied to you actually lives in Marcel lake Estates, but I do. My husband and I moved here about a year and a half ago and we are very happy. I will tell you that we came here because everything is cheaper i n PA.
We chose Marcel because our hose was really inexpensive and the location was perfect. We also loved the pool.
Now after living here, and yes the realtors do not tell you the truth about everything. We did learn about the sewer. MY husband got involved with the boared and we are fighting the sewwar company and things are being worked on. We plan to win in the end. Granted we do have some community members who have nothing nic to say but let me tell you. I have checked aroind and other comminity member come to aour poool in the summer{when they can find a friend to let them in} and they tell far worse stories of their communities. No matter where you go you are going to have pros and cons. It's all what you want to make of it . My family chose to become board members and Run activies for everyone at the rec hall. We won't listen to all the grippers. If they don't llike it move. Things have been getting better around here and We really enjoy ourselves. As for the roads, well Ll the communities seem to compare, were no worse off. As for the run off, I personally have not water problems but some do. It just depends on where your situarted. THat goes for most of PA. I vote for Marcel, but of course that up to you. Good luck in your search!!! hope the info. helped.
Write anytime if you have anymore questions, I'll be happy to be honest!!!!!

Old 01-10-2007, 05:28 AM

3 posts, read 22,346 times
Default veryinvolved

thanks for this post! I pm'ed you!

Old 03-04-2007, 06:55 AM

2 posts, read 35,803 times
Default Marcel Lakes

Hi,
I hope that I may be of some help. My husband and I have been living in Marcel Lakes for almost 3 years. We chose this community because we liked the recreation...especially the pool!!! It is amazing!!! As for the water problems, they are here and there, depending on the lot, we don't have a problem. The roads are ok, the two main roads are paved, and the secondary roads are gravel, over the past two years however, they have improved immensly, they are now putting down tar and rock, a great improvement!! I have spoke to many people who live in the area, and all of the communities have there share of issues...from what I have gathered our community definatly has the least amount of crime...we don't have any beach site drug deals, or pipe bombs going off like some of the other communities around here, so I think we are doing ok. As for the sewer system, that company is very shady, and the case is being worked on, from what I gather about that it is beginning to work in the residents favor. There is a building moratorium so eventually the plant will need updating, but I don't think it is going to be at our cost. I hope that I have shed some light on Marcel Lakes, really, it is a beutiful community, yeah it could use some work, but who knows what the future holds.
If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!!

Old 03-05-2007, 06:40 PM

15 posts, read 65,341 times
How much are the houses going for in Marcel Lakes Estates in Dingmans Ferry? Thank you.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 35,803 times
Right now a decent house in marcel lakes 3/4 bedrooms and 2 baths is going for anywhere from the upper $100,000.00 to the upper $200,000.00, the decent more new houses are in the higher price range...you should also if you are planning on moving definately check into the newer ones just in case something goes down with the sewage company (i dont think they will get anywhere) but the newer houses already have the grinder pumps that they are arguing about....Check realtor.com and input 18328 for the zip the homes lister there tell you what community they are in!!!
let me know if you have any more questions!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania