Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:11 PM

7,402 posts, read 12,737,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That score is far better than the movie.
Another movie where the score is epic and the movie not so much: "How the West was Won." One of the best scores ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 11:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,289,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Another movie where the score is epic and the movie not so much: "How the West was Won." One of the best scores ever.
You are so right about that.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
That score is far better than the movie.
Try as I may, I can never stay awake for that whole movie.

I always fall asleep when there are a bunch of sweaty men talking in a cabin late at night, and then I wake up just as the girl is falling over the cliff. I have a feeling that a whole lot of important stuff happens in between those two points but the movie is an automatic sleep inducer for me.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:53 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,251,828 times
Music by Randy Newman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5rHgpi3Nw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B520MsG8sys

Old 06-01-2016, 07:35 AM

Wow, has anyone mentioned the Godfather yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPskYVBqdNw

And this classic, beautiful love song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMGE8pks9UE

Heck, I'm not Italian and yet that music makes me yearn for the old country!

Old 06-01-2016, 09:25 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,404,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Try as I may, I can never stay awake for that whole movie.

I always fall asleep when there are a bunch of sweaty men talking in a cabin late at night, and then I wake up just as the girl is falling over the cliff. I have a feeling that a whole lot of important stuff happens in between those two points but the movie is an automatic sleep inducer for me.
Not really, no. Michael Mann is great at cinematic visuals, but he has no story sense. LAST OF THE MOHICANS is a mess of a story, mostly because Michael Mann has the story sense of a music video artist.

How do we know our two leads are falling in love? Because they stare wistfully at each other while beautiful music plays.

How do we know the two secondary characters are falling in love? Because they stare wistfully at each other while beautiful music plays.

Why is Magua such a bad guy? Because he glares at the heroes while ominous music plays.

How do we know that the jackass of the movie is making a noble sacrifice? Because he stares at the hero while noble music plays.

So yeah, the music is the best part of an otherwise forgettable movie.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:52 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,653,045 times
Quote:
Not really, no. Michael Mann is great at cinematic visuals, but he has no story sense.
Now which other director seems to get that a lot?

Mann has great story sense. Two of his best movies are Thief (viewing is mandatory) and Heat.

The Keep was brutally cut up by the theater because they refused to release his longer cut. So for half the movie, you get this cool atmospheric horror film. For the other half, you get to play "What's going on here? Oh, I get it now."

Old 06-01-2016, 12:46 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,135,096 times
When the piano takes over at the 50 second mark. Wow. I wish folks could see the scene during this song. This Is England was a masterpiece.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:57 PM

22,961 posts, read 28,404,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Mann has great story sense. Two of his best movies are Thief (viewing is mandatory) and Heat.
I haven't seen THIEF since I was a kid, and I think I was probably far too young to get it.

HEAT is all style no substance. The best scene in the movie (DeNiro and Pacino taunting each other over table) makes no sense at all.

I did like THE INSIDER.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:41 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,653,045 times
Quote:
HEAT is all style no substance.
Go to the corner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies