Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 02:45 PM

18,542 posts, read 18,794,659 times

Advertisements

I loved this film with Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell and while reading some trivia about it I found this. Who d have thought Jane got so much more than Marilyn in that movie..

(10 years after making "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes,") Marilyn Monroe recalls the lack of respect studio execs had for her, but makes a point of mentioning co-star, Jane Russell: "I remember when I got the part in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Jane Russell, she was the brunette in it and I was the blond. She got $200,000 for it, and I got my $500 a week, but that to me was, you know, considerable. She by the way, was quite wonderful to me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 07:32 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,151,966 times
I don't much like it - it's awfully crude, really - but I was recently watching it on TV, and have to admit I enjoy the amusing late comment where she's making her case for marrying for money: "Don't you know that a man being rich is like a girl being pretty? You wouldn't marry a girl just because she's pretty, but my goodness, doesn't it help?"

Old 01-13-2017, 10:00 AM

18,542 posts, read 18,794,659 times
Remember the part when Jane Russell gets knocked into the swimming pool, it wasnt supposed to happen but it got left in.... before it happens you see Jane with her real life brother...Also Marilyns shocking pink dress wasnt the original idea, it was black velvet strips draped around her body with diamonds around it.. but thought to risque and turned down..Its also been said that Marilyn wore the same gold lame dress as Ginger Rogers, but it doesnt look the same to me https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/333759022357700507/

Last edited by dizzybint; 01-13-2017 at 10:20 AM..

Old 01-13-2017, 10:09 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,463,835 times
Back then actors were given a contact by a studio, and were even brokered out to other studios like a commodity. She was also paid her $500 a week when she wasn't working, for what it's worth. She had no choice but to accept her contract rate because GPB was a 20th Century Fox production. I believe Russell was under contract with RKO at the time, and originally discovered by Howard Hughes. These unfair exploitative practices are no longer allowed.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:33 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,958,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Back then actors were given a contact by a studio, and were even brokered out to other studios like a commodity. She was also paid her $500 a week when she wasn't working, for what it's worth. She had no choice but to accept her contract rate because GPB was a 20th Century Fox production. I believe Russell was under contract with RKO at the time, and originally discovered by Howard Hughes. These unfair exploitative practices are no longer allowed.

It's interesting how much things have changed when it comes to how studios and actors deal with each other. I found it quite interesting to read that studios would have bidding wars over specific actors and actresses to be in their films. I also read that when an actress got lent out to another studio, that studio was responsible for feeding, housing, driving that particular actress acround until the "contract" was up. I even heard that studios use to have housing on the lots for their talent.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:13 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,893,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Sure they are: Natalie Portman: Ashton Kutcher was paid three times more for

Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,463,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I was referring to studios 'owning' the talent. Income inequality is never going away, I'm getting more and more chummy with that realization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies