Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Star Wars: The Last Jedi become all-time tops in ticket sales?
Yes 2 6.67%
No 28 93.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 04:06 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,990,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup. Even George Lucas has admitted this. Disney wanted a guaranteed hit and mandated it be a back-to-basics "do over" of ANH.
George Lucas says new Star Wars film is not how he envisioned it | Daily Mail Online

J.J. Abrams Explains The Force Awakens and A New Hope Similarities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 06:07 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,842,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
There are a number you can point to, even in Star Wars itself. Attack of the Clones wasn't super dark (and I say that as a fan of that movie), as was Jurassic Park 3 (and I hate that movie) nor was Iron Man 2. Both of these movies suffer from darker third acts. Iron Man 3's PTSD > Iron Man 2's alcoholism and Revenge of the Sith's death of the Jedi, rise of the Sith and anointing of Emperor Palpatine > Attack of the Clones' ominous Dark Side leaning end. I have a feeling even with how dark Thor: The Dark World went, Thor: Ragnarok will go darker. I also don't recall Rocky 2 being dark, yet Rocky 3 rattled Rocky with a defeat AND the loss of his trainer at the same time. Then you have ones that are more fun than dark like oh say, The Lost World: Jurassic Park to Jurassic Park.

I'm just saying here. I realize MOST times, the mid is the darkest.
That's where my use of the word "usually" comes it.

The Star Wars prequels are each progressively darker, as was intended, inasmuch as they must finally end with the victory of the Sith.

The Jurassic Park, Rocky, Thor, and Iron Man movies can't be said to be trilogies in that they don't begin, continue, and end a basic storyline.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:07 AM

22,934 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Abrams: “[‘The Force Awakens’] was a bridge and a kind of reminder; the audience needed to be reminded what ‘Star Wars’ is, but it needed to be established with something familiar..."

Translation: "Disney said it had to be like A New Hope, and hey, it was a big check, so I said yes."

The audience needed to be reminded what STAR WARS is? Pfah. That isn't even good spin.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:50 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,631,528 times
The audience "needed to be reminded" of what is arguably the most popular SF/sci-fantasy film/book/cartoon franchise of all time.

Yeah. Right.

No, Disney wanted to play it safe, i.e. ensure a humongous payday.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:40 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,516,713 times
So I watched the trailer. And I'm feel a little better about the new trilogy's prospects.

For me the force awakens was....ok. Good action sci-fi movie but nothing amazing. Actually though the book for force awakens helps out the movie experience because it explain some of the wtf moments in the movie. Not all but at least some.

But this trailer gives me a little more hope that the movie won't be just darker but more philosophical. And that it will delve into more legends material. Epecailly concerning the ancient dai bendu and the je'daii orders and their views philosophies about the force.

We will see.

Oh and I love AT-ATs. Are they most probably the most impractical weapon of war ever? Yes. Yes they are. But are they still AWESOME to my inner 8 year old (the age when I first saw empire). The answer again is yes. And remember at the end of the day those any and all impractical weapons of war in the film are there to sell toys. And boy....I think we can say that venture was successful.

https://youtu.be/07zLbgXElsA

Old 04-17-2017, 07:44 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,243,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
So I watched the trailer. And I'm feel a little better about the new trilogy's prospects.

For me the force awakens was....ok. Good action sci-fi movie but nothing amazing. Actually though the book for force awakens helps out the movie experience because it explain some of the wtf moments in the movie. Not all but at least some.

But this trailer gives me a little more hope that the movie won't be just darker but more philosophical. And that it will delve into more legends material. Epecailly concerning the ancient dai bendu and the je'daii orders and their views philosophies about the force.

We will see.

Oh and I love AT-ATs. Are they most probably the most impractical weapon of war ever? Yes. Yes they are. But are they still AWESOME to my inner 8 year old (the age when I first saw empire). The answer again is yes. And remember at the end of the day those impractical weapons of war in the film are there to sell toys. And boy....I think we can say that venture was successful.

https://youtu.be/07zLbgXElsA
Kind of where I'm at too, a realized balance between both the light and dark side of things, and perhaps Ray will be the apprentice in a new way of the force.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 939 times
I'm thinking the film will be very strong on flashbacks and looking forward to seeing what happens !

Hopefully some Jedi ghosts may appear!

Old 07-26-2017, 02:08 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel059 View Post
I'm thinking the film will be very strong on flashbacks and looking forward to seeing what happens !

Hopefully some Jedi ghosts may appear!
I think Force ghosts if anything.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:42 PM

Here's the latest that I've seen about this movie.

STAR WARS 8: New Clip + Trailer (2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcuuwn_wTjg

Therefore, according to this video, this story is definitely going to be an original story unlike Episode VII.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The audience "needed to be reminded" of what is arguably the most popular SF/sci-fantasy film/book/cartoon franchise of all time.

Yeah. Right.

No, Disney wanted to play it safe, i.e. ensure a humongous payday.
But the thing is... it worked.

Also, keep in mind that no one forced(no pun intended) anyone to go see this movie and to make it nearly a billion dollar movie domestically, and a 2 billion dollor movie internationally. Therefore, I would say: Good play, Disney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies