Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 01:54 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
All the YouTube reaction trailers are pretty cringe. There was one black dude that started crying. I'm like, dude it's a comic book character created by 2 white dudes. #relax
It's not as though there was never Shaft....

Old 06-27-2017, 01:57 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Blade too.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:06 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Comics, Spawn. Well the same thing just happened with Wonder Woman. Is there a Chinese or other Asian character besides Shang-Chi to look forward to as a major motion picture after the grief the Iron Fist Netflix choice got?

Old 06-27-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Comics, Spawn. Well the same thing just happened with Wonder Woman. Is there a Chinese or other Asian character besides Shang-Chi to look forward to as a major motion picture after the grief the Iron Fist Netflix choice got?
Do you mean the Iron Perm with his Ipod? What about the Mandarin from Iron Man or the Ancient One in Dr. Strange?

Old 06-27-2017, 02:40 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Blade too.
Quote:

Also, Luke Cage.

Speaking as an old black guy....

I remember when we only had Gabriel Jones in Marvel and DC only had the Asian stereotype "Pieface" as Hal Jordan's sidekick.

I was pleased as punch when Black Panther debuted as an anti-hero who kicked Fantastic Four butt.

This is kind of like folks proclaiming the WW movie as a world-changing event. While I'm pleased to see folk getting work (and any working black actor who didn't make it into Black Panther needs to fire his or her agent), folks seem to have short memories.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Also, Luke Cage.

Speaking as an old black guy....

I remember when we only had Gabriel Jones in Marvel and DC only had the Asian stereotype "Pieface" as Hal Jordan's sidekick.

I was pleased as punch when Black Panther debuted as an anti-hero who kicked Fantastic Four butt.

This is kind of like folks proclaiming the WW movie as a world-changing event. While I'm pleased to see folk getting work (and any working black actor who didn't make it into Black Panther needs to fire his or her agent), folks seem to have short memories.
Bruce Leroy too...

Old 06-27-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Bruce Leroy too...
Jim Kelly playing Black Belt Jones and Mister Keyes in Three The Hard Way before he was forgotten by Leroy who could only see Bruce Lee.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Maybe, but if someone independent is inspired to go his own way perhaps another Ant-Man, which I loved, might come out of it. I understand you might not get a trilogy out of the character but with a shared universe giving you an audience with a acceptable base level so what.
I think Ant-Man was the last movie on Marvel flop watch due to the Edgar Wright issues. It didn't get drowned by it. I think Black Panther will be fine if Black Twitter shows up. Black Twitter is a powerful force in TV and a few movies but not quite in blockbuster area. Add that to the typical CBM audience and you get gold. The one I fear for honestly and this is not a knock on Brie Larson is
Captain Marvel
due to Wonder Woman. I think WW may hurt the Captain rather than help it, especially if the movie isn't that good. Luckily, Carol Danvers could easily go into say Guardians of the Galaxy like she did in the comics before Secret Wars.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think Ant-Man was the last movie on Marvel flop watch due to the Edgar Wright issues. It didn't get drowned by it. I think Black Panther will be fine if Black Twitter shows up. Black Twitter is a powerful force in TV and a few movies but not quite in blockbuster area. Add that to the typical CBM audience and you get gold. The one I fear for honestly and this is not a knock on Brie Larson is
Captain Marvel
due to Wonder Woman. I think WW may hurt the Captain rather than help it, especially if the movie isn't that good. Luckily, Carol Danvers could easily go into say Guardians of the Galaxy like she did in the comics before Secret Wars.
So like The Hulk with The Avengers, even without the rights issues, or Iron Fist we hope being a good character on the NetFlix Defenders, assuming no more Iron Fist stand alone seasons are made. however there is the political component and a price to pay in the west if the only Black or female lead gets no follow up. Especially if Downey Jr, Evans and Hemsworth's bodies give up like Hugh Jackman's has with Wolverine and they are retired from the MCU frontline movies in favor of the next generation

Old 06-27-2017, 06:41 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
So like The Hulk with The Avengers, even without the rights issues, or Iron Fist we hope being a good character on the NetFlix Defenders, assuming no more Iron Fist stand alone seasons are made. however there is the political component and a price to pay in the west if the only Black or female lead gets no follow up. Especially if Downey Jr, Evans and Hemsworth's bodies give up like Hugh Jackman's has with Wolverine and they are retired from the MCU frontline movies in favor of the next generation
I know what you mean but I can see Marvel failing not Panther if either do.

Marvel will be an interesting case with Evans, Disney and even Hemsworth gone, but I think Spider-Man will be huge for them. This can easily live on with that Jane Foster one. However, you'd need to recast her since Portman looks done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies