Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 08:41 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
What did you hate about the original?
The entire movie could be summed up in:

Seriously. The entire movie is Tom Cruise saying, "See how AWESOME I am! If only everyone else realized how AWESOME I am!" And the movie ends when everyone finally realizes how AWESOME he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 08:43 AM

37,752 posts, read 46,228,888 times
Movie was excellent. First one I have seen in a theater for over 2 years. We loved it and we are not really fans of TC.

Old 06-14-2022, 04:59 PM

19,951 posts, read 9,516,267 times
I just saw it, and both my husband and I (seniors, btw) thought it was better than the original.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,270,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I just saw it, and both my husband and I (seniors, btw) thought it was better than the original.
I agree - I think it was MUCH better than the original one. In fact, after I saw it, I came home and tried to watch the original and I really, really disliked it. I remember not being crazy about it long ago for that matter but I thought what the heck, maybe my taste has changed. Nope.

Old 06-19-2022, 09:06 PM

455 posts, read 674,567 times
Watched the original just to refresh our memories. Glad we did! Helped us to appreciate Maverick even more. Liked it so much we saw it twice in the same week.
So glad it wasn't WOKE. Happy to see the flag and our military portrayed in a positive light. We thought the casting and story were great. Big thumbs up for this one!

Old 06-20-2022, 09:27 PM

269 posts, read 183,501 times
Very good movie. The action scenes are thrilling, unlike other (looking at you Jurassic) that are messy, ridiculous, and lazy. The human bond plot is touching. Only criticism I can think of is they should show more training of the pilots before the mission, and rooster memories of his dad.

Favorite quotes:
When asked by Penny why he didn’t tell Rooster the truth about his application being pulled, Maverick says He (rooster) is never going to forgive me, so why bring her (rooster mom) into this.

Rooster: talk to me dad

Maverick: what were you thinking!
Rooster: you told me not to think, but to do!

Old 06-27-2022, 01:19 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,767,432 times
I just now read something that I had never seen or heard before....something that may remove the last little bit of doubt about why Kelly McGillis' does not appear in Top Gun: Maverick.

Personally, I didn't care much for her "Charlie" character in the original film and could see pretty plainly reasons for her not being offered a reprise. When this factor (heretofore unknown to me, and likely lots of others) is added, any remaining doubt disappears.

https://www.insider.com/top-gun-cast...ater-credits-4
Quote:
In 2009, she publicly came out as a lesbian

Old 06-27-2022, 06:56 PM

16,440 posts, read 12,604,843 times
So what?

Old 06-28-2022, 12:03 AM

29,536 posts, read 22,818,588 times
Still doing amazing, hard to believe this is Tom Cruise's highest grossing movie ever.

I have heard nothing but good things about this movie from people I talk to, and it's all been enthusiastic. It goes to show you that Americans like movies that deal with positive, uplifting, patriotic themes.

‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Catapults Past $1B At Worldwide Box Office – Update

Old 06-30-2022, 06:23 PM

33,341 posts, read 12,661,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I just now read something that I had never seen or heard before....something that may remove the last little bit of doubt about why Kelly McGillis' does not appear in Top Gun: Maverick.

Personally, I didn't care much for her "Charlie" character in the original film and could see pretty plainly reasons for her not being offered a reprise. When this factor (heretofore unknown to me, and likely lots of others) is added, any remaining doubt disappears.

https://www.insider.com/top-gun-cast...ater-credits-4
Having a 5 years older female romantic interest works well in this type of movie when the stars are 24 and 29, but would probably be less likely to work well well over 30 years later.

If a co-star of Jennifer Connelly’s age and looks and ability (I’m suspending reality to make a point), who also kippered to be a lesbian in real life, had been hired instead, would that have made a difference ?……I don’t know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies