Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 05:49 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times

Advertisements

Well, I bought the movie today and saw it for the first time this afternoon.

Yes, it was good. But as good as all the raving and hype would lead you to expect? No. I was frankly as disappointed in the first 20-30 minutes as I have been so many times before in recent years with other films.

I haven't seen one reviewer say a word about heading to Naval Fighter Weapons School in San Diego when TOP GUN has been in Fallon, NV since 1996. I can't believe the new movie would miss that, ignore that. But the story got better and definitely moved in a positive direction as it progressed.

It was good, but could have been - should have been - sooooo much better. Lots of missed opportunities and lots of lowest common denominator pandering.

I'm going to watch it again tomorrow when I'm more rested before I comment further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 01:26 PM

Oh, what this movie could have been. But it must be said that, though it falls short of overall cinema greatness, there is greatness within. A heaping helping.

The first 40 minutes is so disappointing, with characters (nearly all but Maverick) so annoying that the feeling instilled is just anger. That a movie touted to be so good is such a waste, so unsatisfying....to that point.

But the greatness is to follow. And it is greatness so ultimately overwhelming that it erases all of the negativity felt early on and has you nearly, if not literally, in tears of appreciative emotion 90 minutes later. Most of the best movies I've ever seen have me in tears at some point....and this one was no exception. For me, the very few exceptions would be movies such as The Day The Earth Stood Still - 1951.

Just think what it could have been had it not had to dig out of the hole it dug at the start. But then I wondered if that hole was possibly purposeful....something that smarter people than I about the movie business know that works to generate even more powerful emotions at the finish than a steady flow of better, nicer experiences would. I don't know.

All I know is that I didn't like the beginning at all, but (for the most part) loved the ending. But even the ending wasn't what it could have been - should have been. It left far too many unanswered questions and even more potential greatness on the table.

In the big picture, it is increasingly rare entertainment money well spent in an industry sadly rotting away rapidly with the rest of our culture.

Old 08-27-2022, 09:34 PM

1,601 posts, read 866,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Oh, what this movie could have been. But it must be said that, though it falls short of overall cinema greatness, there is greatness within. A heaping helping.

The first 40 minutes is so disappointing, with characters (nearly all but Maverick) so annoying that the feeling instilled is just anger. That a movie touted to be so good is such a waste, so unsatisfying....to that point.

But the greatness is to follow. And it is greatness so ultimately overwhelming that it erases all of the negativity felt early on and has you nearly, if not literally, in tears of appreciative emotion 90 minutes later. Most of the best movies I've ever seen have me in tears at some point....and this one was no exception. For me, the very few exceptions would be movies such as The Day The Earth Stood Still - 1951.

Just think what it could have been had it not had to dig out of the hole it dug at the start. But then I wondered if that hole was possibly purposeful....something that smarter people than I about the movie business know that works to generate even more powerful emotions at the finish than a steady flow of better, nicer experiences would. I don't know.

All I know is that I didn't like the beginning at all, but (for the most part) loved the ending. But even the ending wasn't what it could have been - should have been. It left far too many unanswered questions and even more potential greatness on the table.

In the big picture, it is increasingly rare entertainment money well spent in an industry sadly rotting away rapidly with the rest of our culture.

I respect your opinion, and felt myself that the Aurora business at the beginning was cheesy, but it was also brief and set up what Maverick was currently up to. The entire thing shouldn't have worked, yet everything did, time after time, from start to finish. I had a big grin on my face most of the time and it stirred genuine emotion at the end.

Tom Cruise is the last true movie star. This one I'll buy on 4k disc, and I rarely buy movies any longer and mostly older films, never new releases.

I also have a deep affection for the original. First movie I ever saw in Dolby Stereo when my beloved late grandmother took me to see it when I was 9 years old.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:52 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Just saw this movie. Really solid and nostalgic. My only minor complaint is that I felt this movie could have used an additional 30 mins. It seemed like as soon as this got going it was almost over. It was very fast moving, like a lot of scenes were edited out. I would have loved a little more story and plot development. Still a really enjoyable movie, and absolutely loved the air scenes.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:

This is a good review. This started out really slow, and I was wondering what the hype was about. Then it really got going, but it the movie ended so quickly. I think it would have benefited from another 30 mins.

I would have liked more story and scenes to connect to the original. The scenes with Ice were touching but something seemed missing. It feels like there needed to be more story.

Still a really solid film, but like you said, could have been a even greater.

Old 09-03-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I rewatched the first Top Gun last night and I think the second one was MUCH better. Unusual.
I liked the sequel, but I thought the original had a lot more emotion and the relationships seemed a lot stronger. Even the timing of the music was more memorable, and emotional. That’s what I felt was missing with the sequel.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:09 AM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Well, I bought the movie today and saw it for the first time this afternoon.

Yes, it was good. But as good as all the raving and hype would lead you to expect? No. I was frankly as disappointed in the first 20-30 minutes as I have been so many times before in recent years with other films.

I haven't seen one reviewer say a word about heading to Naval Fighter Weapons School in San Diego when TOP GUN has been in Fallon, NV since 1996. I can't believe the new movie would miss that, ignore that. But the story got better and definitely moved in a positive direction as it progressed.

It was good, but could have been - should have been - sooooo much better. Lots of missed opportunities and lots of lowest common denominator pandering.

I'm going to watch it again tomorrow when I'm more rested before I comment further.

No-one cares where the Naval Fighter Weapons School actually is. Like it's completely irrelevant to the movie. Perhaps you didn't notice, but they're fighting against a fantasy country with fantasy geography and within fantastical mission parameters. It's a movie, it's make belief.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:18 AM

733 posts, read 466,442 times
I saw this movie two nights ago on Amazon Prime; I thought it was pretty good but not as good as the first one.

Old 09-12-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
No-one cares where the Naval Fighter Weapons School actually is. Like it's completely irrelevant to the movie. Perhaps you didn't notice, but they're fighting against a fantasy country with fantasy geography and within fantastical mission parameters. It's a movie, it's make belief.
You mean no one still in high school. Take your trolling elsewhere.

Old 09-12-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I liked the sequel, but I thought the original had a lot more emotion and the relationships seemed a lot stronger. Even the timing of the music was more memorable, and emotional. That’s what I felt was missing with the sequel.
I'm glad you mentioned the music - because it was far better in the original.

I mean - the original's opening was iconic. Re-using it was a wonderful idea until someone decided to pare it down....for God only knows what reason. That was one of the big disappointments in the early minutes.

The original was better than many (most?) are saying it was....and Maverick doesn't quite measure up to the level of hype it has generated. I think a fair amount of that hype results from 2 years of deprivation of the movie theater experience, along with many more years than that of deprivation of very much quality generally from Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies