Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 09:40 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,926,464 times

Advertisements

Watched this tonight. WOW very good really enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 04:12 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,767,432 times
Just watched it again and once again experienced the best final 20 or so movie minutes I've seen in decades. If there was ever a better example, it was too long ago to remember what it would be right now.

What a terrific movie. Still not everything it could have been, IMHO, but still stands at the top with the very best of modern cinema.

I've got to say that one aspect that fell a bit short for me was Jennifer Connelly's role. Her role or was it her performance? Perhaps she was just miscast? Perhaps a fair share should be laid on the writers? I don't know....I just found her somewhat disappointing in the film. I didn't like her persona at all at the beginning, but the dumb lines she was tasked with are not her fault. I didn't expect her to be a weak spot, but that's the feeling I came away with.

Aside from the star, I'd say the top performances in the film came from.......

Bashir Salahuddin...Hondo
John Hamm............Cyclone
Charles Parnell........Warlock
Glen Powell.............Hangman

Kudos to Val Kilmer for appearing, given his personal struggle.

Old 09-24-2022, 04:26 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,331,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Just watched it again and once again experienced the best final 20 or so movie minutes I've seen in decades. If there was ever a better example, it was too long ago to remember what it would be right now.

What a terrific movie. Still not everything it could have been, IMHO, but still stands at the top with the very best of modern cinema.

I've got to say that one aspect that fell a bit short for me was Jennifer Connelly's role. Her role or was it her performance? Perhaps she was just miscast? Perhaps a fair share should be laid on the writers? I don't know....I just found her somewhat disappointing in the film. I didn't like her persona at all at the beginning, but the dumb lines she was tasked with are not her fault. I didn't expect her to be a weak spot, but that's the feeling I came away with.

Aside from the star, I'd say the top performances in the film came from.......

Bashir Salahuddin...Hondo
John Hamm............Cyclone
Charles Parnell........Warlock
Glen Powell.............Hangman

Kudos to Val Kilmer for appearing, given his personal struggle.
I've held off saying this more than once, but their relationship was one of the weakest parts of the movie, to me. I didn't really like her character either, and the whole sassy, jokingly-combative schtick seemed overdone and hack, irritating, too over-the-top to be realistic. Unfortunately, I found it very boring when it could have been much more, as you've been stating in general.

It was nice to see Val Kilmer.

Old 09-24-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I've held off saying this more than once, but their relationship was one of the weakest parts of the movie, to me. I didn't really like her character either, and the whole sassy, jokingly-combative schtick seemed overdone and hack, irritating, too over-the-top to be realistic. Unfortunately, I found it very boring when it could have been much more, as you've been stating in general.

It was nice to see Val Kilmer.
Yep - her daughter was more likeable than Penny, as little as we saw of her. That was a really cute scene when Mav was surprised by her after he jumped out the window....when she said "just don't break her heart again".

Old 10-15-2022, 12:51 PM

643 posts, read 360,958 times
On youtube now. Haven't finished yet, but so far so good.

Old 12-11-2022, 06:51 AM

I've been casually watching the Fandango listings and, as of a few weeks ago, Top Gun: Maverick's were gone. So I assumed the theater run was over....after a run that went already months longer than most movies do.

But now the listings are back! Fewer showtimes, of course, but amazing that its theater run continues now in its seventh month. I'm thinking about going to a ScreenX showing this week to get a feel for that new technology and because my viewings thus far have been of my digital purchase at home.

Old 12-17-2022, 08:40 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,330,576 times
I think this was a second run that was advertised pretty heavily on social media (or at least on my Facebook feed). It's down to one theater in my area with a couple of mid-day showtimes.

Old 12-17-2022, 08:24 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,042,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
WOW, I didn't realize the actress was 51. She looks daym good!
Paul Bettany is one lucky guy.

Old 12-17-2022, 10:52 PM

33,341 posts, read 12,661,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Paul Bettany is one lucky guy.

Yep.

And I've been thinking that ^^^^^ for almost 20 years.

I remember watching an interview with him on a late night talk show and he said that he felt his accent would only have an effect on her for a limited period of time so he felt he had to close the deal (long term) fairly quickly .

Old 12-31-2022, 03:42 PM

567 posts, read 363,085 times
I saw Top Gun in 1986 at the drive-in’s and love the movie. Have watched many times over the years and still enjoy.

I wasn’t sure what to think when TG Maverick came out, and thought it was really good. I was pleasantly surprised thought the writing, cast and directing were great. The director paid particular attention to how much of the 86 film to bring in to this movie. The casting for goose son was spot on.

As another post mentioned about Connelly’s character it just didn’t really work. I’m not sure what was off here if it was the writing or not really any chemistry between she and Cruise. Maybe if we knew more about their past history may have made their connection a little more interesting.

It would have been nice to have seen a brief appearance from McGillis and/or Ryan even a phone scene.

Overall it’s one of the best movies I’ve seen in a long time. Tom Cruise looked just as foxy in this movie as Top Gun 1986 !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies