Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 05:17 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,767,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamax2 View Post
I saw Top Gun in 1986 at the drive-in’s and love the movie. Have watched many times over the years and still enjoy.

I wasn’t sure what to think when TG Maverick came out, and thought it was really good. I was pleasantly surprised thought the writing, cast and directing were great. The director paid particular attention to how much of the 86 film to bring in to this movie. The casting for goose son was spot on.

As another post mentioned about Connelly’s character it just didn’t really work. I’m not sure what was off here if it was the writing or not really any chemistry between she and Cruise. Maybe if we knew more about their past history may have made their connection a little more interesting.

It would have been nice to have seen a brief appearance from McGillis and/or Ryan even a phone scene.

Overall it’s one of the best movies I’ve seen in a long time. Tom Cruise looked just as foxy in this movie as Top Gun 1986 !
I'd say the film's poorest writing involved her character, but I'd also have to grudgingly admit that she is just not that great an actress....having been brought along more by her looks than her talent, especially in the early years. She did a little bit of nudity in those early years and I wonder how many would have ever heard of her, but for that. I liked her in The Hot Spot, but not because of her acting performance.

Your mentioning Ryan - had no idea who you were talking about at first read - is some real food for thought about what they could have done with that dynamic (Mav, Rooster, and mom) if she were still living and part of the new story. Could have been quite interesting.

I have had the original on Blu-Ray (and VHS before that) for many years. I've come to enjoy and appreciate it even more now after the sequel. And, considering the moments of raw stupidity that briefly tarnish the new film, I'd say it's a tough call to pick one over the other as clearly best. Such a debate might have to end with ......."this is a nice moment - let's not ruin it".

Top Gun:Maverick, released in the 60s, 70s, or 80s with great cinema in its prime, wouldn't have stood out strikingly as it does today....with next to no serious competition remaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2022, 06:38 PM

567 posts, read 362,666 times
^Haven’t seen Connelly in a movie before only knew her name and who she was.

Guess they didn’t want to focus too much on Maverick’s personal life. Maybe they could have written it that Maverick and Ryan married and raised the little boy together.

Sounds like Maverick was kinda always watching out for the kid.

I thought the scene with Maverick and Ice was so touching. Could see there was great concern and respect for each other. When Ice told him, it’s time to let go and Maverick had tears. Powerful and intense scene. Beautifully done.

Old 01-01-2023, 06:30 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,767,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamax2 View Post
^Haven’t seen Connelly in a movie before only knew her name and who she was.

Guess they didn’t want to focus too much on Maverick’s personal life. Maybe they could have written it that Maverick and Ryan married and raised the little boy together.

Sounds like Maverick was kinda always watching out for the kid.

I thought the scene with Maverick and Ice was so touching. Could see there was great concern and respect for each other. When Ice told him, it’s time to let go and Maverick had tears. Powerful and intense scene. Beautifully done.
Yep, and that's great while the kid was still a kid. But that kid grew up and deserved to be treated as an adult.

IMO, Mav should have told him of his mother's wishes and let him decide for himself as a grown man how/whether to act on them. In my mind, that would have fulfilled in spirit his promise to mom and would have strengthened his bond with Rooster instead of severely injuring it. Yes, that would re-write the story, but for the better, I'd say. The film's version stretches credibility too far for me.

Another big credibility stretcher is Mav's greeting Rooster with a physical attack in the snow after Rooster saved his life late in the film. It simply wouldn't have happened....and shouldn't have been added to the eye-rolling moments in an otherwise great story.

Sorry, I don't mean to divert focus from the overall positive refreshing breath of fresh air TGM is on what has become a nearly barren movie landscape. Perfectionist that I am, I sometimes can't help but see and point out aspects that leave one shaking their head.

After a few weeks, I'm about due for another viewing. Gotta watch the Chiefs and 49ers today, so maybe tomorrow.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:26 AM

29,761 posts, read 14,825,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Well, I bought the movie today and saw it for the first time this afternoon.

Yes, it was good. But as good as all the raving and hype would lead you to expect? No. I was frankly as disappointed in the first 20-30 minutes as I have been so many times before in recent years with other films.

I haven't seen one reviewer say a word about heading to Naval Fighter Weapons School in San Diego when TOP GUN has been in Fallon, NV since 1996. I can't believe the new movie would miss that, ignore that. But the story got better and definitely moved in a positive direction as it progressed.

It was good, but could have been - should have been - sooooo much better. Lots of missed opportunities and lots of lowest common denominator pandering.

I'm going to watch it again tomorrow when I'm more rested before I comment further.
Good point. I didn't know that. It is interesting how they missed a big detail like that, yet added the Lockeed Martin "Skunkworks" decal on the tail fin of the "Darkstar".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies