Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:03 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,780 times

Advertisements

Just saw Flatliners (1990) for the very first time, on Blu-ray. Amazing horror/suspense film - I'm surprised I had missed it for this long.

The story about about a group of young medical students who conduct "experiments" on themselves to see if they can "kill" someone & then bring them back to life soon after was very disturbing. And, the film is incredible; extremely creepy & atmospheric, especially the dream sequences that each character has when they are "dead" and also the recurring "nightmares" that they all have after coming back to life.

The Chicago-based Autumn/Halloween setting is very appropriate as well, especially the scenes outside the college with the bonfire/people in costumes/etc.

I also like the scenes of the almost-deserted city streets at night; empty diners; gothic sculptures; neon lights; etc. There was a lot of work put into the visual "look" of the film to create a palatable sense of unease/creepiness - and it worked.

Even though the movie was released in 1990 - it definitely has a late '80's vibe re: the synthesizer music, hair-styles, etc. - which makes sense since it was almost certainly filmed in '89.

I typically don't like JR as an actress (I hated Pretty Woman), but she's great in this.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 08-14-2017 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 07:14 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
I haven't seen this since the '90s, but yeah, it's a great movie.

I'm sure everyone will be ecstatic to know that there is a remake in the works. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatliners_(2017_film)

Old 08-15-2017, 11:05 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,621,225 times
I saw this in the theater. It was the last time Julia Roberts looked hot.

I take it you guys haven't seen the trailer for the remake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUDV0CUzG0k

Old 08-15-2017, 03:38 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
i would kiss the booty of Nina Dovrev. This remake looks awful.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:44 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
I remember seeing it when it came out. They all look so young (Kevin Bacon, Kiefer Sutherland, Julia Roberts and William Baldwin).
Flatliners

Old 08-16-2017, 11:41 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,271 times
Good movie. The remake looks like crap based on the trailer.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:21 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Remake looks like a by the numbers cable TV film. They did a similar themed film with Olivia Wilde a fee years ago. Reminded me of the dreadful remake of the Fog and The Stepfather that were geared toward a TV show audience. Nina is great, but this film will Flatline. I predict a flop.

The original focused on how the death experience was personal and unique, giving it substance. Was a great film.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:55 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,780 times
I have 0 interest in seeing a re-make of Flatliners. The original was classic & iconic, even though I just recently saw this. I can't see a re-make coming close to being as good.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:58 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,621,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I have 0 interest in seeing a re-make of Flatliners. The original was classic & iconic, even though I just recently saw this. I can't see a re-make coming close to being as good.
Take it easy! It wasn't that good.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:04 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Just saw Flatliners (1990) for the very first time, on Blu-ray. Amazing horror/suspense film - I'm surprised I had missed it for this long.

The story about about a group of young medical students who conduct "experiments" on themselves to see if they can "kill" someone & then bring them back to life soon after was very disturbing. And, the film is incredible; extremely creepy & atmospheric, especially the dream sequences that each character has when they are "dead" and also the recurring "nightmares" that they all have after coming back to life.

The Chicago-based Autumn/Halloween setting is very appropriate as well, especially the scenes outside the college with the bonfire/people in costumes/etc.

I also like the scenes of the almost-deserted city streets at night; empty diners; gothic sculptures; neon lights; etc. There was a lot of work put into the visual "look" of the film to create a palatable sense of unease/creepiness - and it worked.

Even though the movie was released in 1990 - it definitely has a late '80's vibe re: the synthesizer music, hair-styles, etc. - which makes sense since it was almost certainly filmed in '89.

I typically don't like JR as an actress (I hated Pretty Woman), but she's great in this.
I agree about JR and the movie's "late 80s vibe". In that era, the country was finally coming to grips with the history of the Vietnam War with films like "Platoon", "Hamburger Hill", etc. Julia Roberts brought a lot of realism to her character - a young girl whose father, a Vietnam Veteran, committed suicide. She blamed herself, which psychologists would refer to as the "ripple effect" for survivors of suicide in the family. The flashbacks and haunting brought extra intensity of drama to her scenes.

Another dimension of good acting was with the hyper-competition of academic perfectionism between the medical students. It was set in Chicago at an elite private medical school. The scenes were very realistic about medical school's "gunner" mentality of students competing for the elite residencies like dermatology, radiology, etc. The one guy who jokes about it was brilliant with his timing.

The religious message of "Divine Retribution" was very strong in this movie. For the older Generation X the drama from that implication was powerful. But I don't know if today's largely secularized youth would react in the same way - religious identification has largely faded in 2017 compared to the late 1980s. A Catholic parent who had been an 80s teen likely has a non-religious son or daughter who doesn't even attend Mass, so the film's "Divine Retribution" and "Atonment" themes may not come across as strongly. But for Generation X the film was awesome - one of the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies