Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 06:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,550,192 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone is tracking diehard Marvel fans vs the general population. I'm not a Marvel or action fan. The last movie I saw was Geostorm. Ha ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 06:43 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,570,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I enjoyed the movie. The beginning took me a little while to get into-but the movie flowed nicely after a certain point. I think the director was trying to get the back ground.

I enjoyed the humor, the lack of sexual overtones. I know that sounds odd, but lately the movies coming out, are like locker room talk: not one whit clever but being saturated with sexual overtones.

It's a good movie if you like action, and cleverness.
excellent description. I thought the interplay between Nakia and Panther cleaver and sweet.

lol, call me a bit feminist but I like Marvel movies because the Women can kick bootie equally as well as the men

Old 02-17-2018, 07:43 AM

12,424 posts, read 8,214,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I wonder if anyone is tracking diehard Marvel fans vs the general population. I'm not a Marvel or action fan. The last movie I saw was Geostorm. Ha ha.
Well I just came off of my most comics centric site and most still in the early high feeling of just seeing it are placing Black Panther in their Top tier of the MCU Marvel films.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:52 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,065,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
excellent description. I thought the interplay between Nakia and Panther cleaver and sweet.

lol, call me a bit feminist but I like Marvel movies because the Women can kick bootie equally as well as the men
Yes! It brought about a human element to the characters-superheroes are super, but they're human. I liked when one of the characters said, ferociously," We are going to KILL you and EAT your children!"

Old 02-17-2018, 12:44 PM

406 posts, read 289,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
I saw it today and I thought it was entertaining, but really overhyped. The performances, visual effects and action scenes were great, but the plotline struggled to get off the ground and the agenda-pushing was ridiculous. It definitely felt like a "black movie," which is fine, but it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. It dragged in some areas to the point where several teenagers sitting around us pulled out phones and started texting.
  • what was the hype about?
  • what was the agenda pushing?
  • If this "black movie" is not someone's cup of tea, that's that someone's fault.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:22 PM

581 posts, read 457,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
  • what was the hype about?
  • what was the agenda pushing?
  • If this "black movie" is not someone's cup of tea, that's that someone's fault.
Every critic is acting like it's the best movie ever made, not sure if you've been following or not but there's tons of hype. Rotten Tomatoes is banning negative reviews, because any criticism of the film is being deemed as "racist."

Agenda pushing was basically "everything is white people's fault"

As far as it being a black movie, I agree. They're certainly not obligated to cater to white audiences to spare anyone's feelings, but I'm just being honest. I didn't feel like it was a movie for everyone, and that's fine.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:27 PM

406 posts, read 289,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
First time out MCU movies have scored overseas box office of $128.6 - $445.1 million
Sequels had overseas box office as high as $946.4 million

Foreign box office in millions
  1. $128.6 The Incredible Hulk
  2. $193.9 Captain America: The First Avenger
  3. $266.8 Iron Man
  4. $268.3 Thor
  5. $339.1 Ant-Man
  6. $440.2 Guardians of the Galaxy
  7. $445.1 Doctor Strange
  8. $311.5 Iron Man 2
  9. $438.2 Thor: The Dark World
  10. $454.5 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  11. $473.9 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  12. $538.8 Thor: Ragnarok
  13. $546.0 Spider-Man: Homecoming
  14. $745.2 Captain America: Civil War
  15. $805.8 Iron Man 3
  16. $895.5 Marvel's The Avengers
  17. $946.4 Avengers: Age of Ultron

Foreign Box Office for Blade films
$61.1 Blade 1998
$72.7 Blade II 2002
$76.5 Blade: Trinity 2004
Black Panther is eyeing a $200million+ opening weekend domestically. Overseas, it is outperforming Thor: Ragnarok, and eyeing a 150million+ opening weekend in only 48 markets.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:46 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,640,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Rotten Tomatoes is banning negative reviews, because any criticism of the film is being deemed as "racist."
That's nuts. So everyone is automatically expected to like it because it's Black Panther? I haven't heard any negative reviews, anyway, just criticisms of parts of the film (but still not getting less than 8/10).

Old 02-17-2018, 02:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,550,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That's nuts. So everyone is automatically expected to like it because it's Black Panther? I haven't heard any negative reviews, anyway, just criticisms of parts of the film (but still not getting less than 8/10).
No, everyone isn't supposed to like Black Panther. It's only a movie. Not liking it doesn't make anyone racist.

The problem is there were people who were making an organized intentional attempt at downgrading the movie for racist reasons. These were people who weren't going to see the movie. The problem is that Rotten Tomatoes can be used for nefarious purposes. That's a problem for Rotten Tomatoes to solve.

It's okay to not like it if that is one's honest opinion. Now, if you don't like it because the cast is mainly Black, then that's something else.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:50 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,640,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It's okay to not like it if that is one's honest opinion. Now, if you don't like it because the cast is mainly Black, then that's something else.
It's far from the first film to feature a predominantly black cast. We all know that. It's the first CBM to do so, though, hence the excitement (and BP really is one of Marvel's coolest characters).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies