Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 09:13 PM

10,578 posts, read 4,109,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Every critic is acting like it's the best movie ever made, not sure if you've been following or not but there's tons of hype. Rotten Tomatoes is banning negative reviews, because any criticism of the film is being deemed as "racist."

Agenda pushing was basically "everything is white people's fault"

As far as it being a black movie, I agree. They're certainly not obligated to cater to white audiences to spare anyone's feelings, but I'm just being honest. I didn't feel like it was a movie for everyone, and that's fine.
I feel bad for saying this, but the best parts were the ones when Ross was in them. And the best surprise was second post credit scene......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, everyone isn't supposed to like Black Panther. It's only a movie. Not liking it doesn't make anyone racist.

The problem is there were people who were making an organized intentional attempt at downgrading the movie for racist reasons. These were people who weren't going to see the movie. The problem is that Rotten Tomatoes can be used for nefarious purposes. That's a problem for Rotten Tomatoes to solve.

It's okay to not like it if that is one's honest opinion. Now, if you don't like it because the cast is mainly Black, then that's something else.
Is this really true? I do know that there is a war going on between Marvel and DC fanboys, and both will vote down the "enemies" movie just for this petty stick measuring contest.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:27 PM

51,058 posts, read 24,544,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Is this really true? I do know that there is a war going on between Marvel and DC fanboys, and both will vote down the "enemies" movie just for this petty stick measuring contest.
Yes, it is true. See https://screenrant.com/black-panther...book-response/

Old 02-17-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
WHAT!!!

That's what you got from the movie?? That is a huge stretch IMO. the movie is darn near over before the villain even says why he wants the weapons.

He blamed Black Panthers dad that's why he wanted to kill the king

that was very formulaic, Loki in the avengers wanted pretty much the same thing. I can't explain too much as I don't want to give any spoilers away.

And there are quite a number of disappointing reviews on rotten tomatoes from the audience, so they certainly aren't banning anything.

come on simply go on the site and look at the audience reviews.
While I really liked the Black Panther, a day later after I got to thinking about it, and I too felt like Killmonger's character was very similar to Loki (which, can't blame them, Loki has been the MCU's best villain to date)

I also thought that the part with the other tribe and the way the leader was treating Ross and T'Challa, reminded me alot about the Gungan leader meeting with Padme in Star Wars episode 1.

But I guess that's the nature of the game. Once you have seen the first 500 movies of your life, everything else become a bit of dejavu.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:31 PM

51,058 posts, read 24,544,958 times
Trolls on Twitter make false claims of being assaulted while seeing 'Black Panther'

News about fake reports about attacks on whites going to see the flick.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:16 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,569,646 times
I just saw the movie and while not the GOAT of cinema, I felt that it was a good movie that had some things from a "black" point of view. Is there anything wrong with that? No, and it really shouldn't be. I also didn't feel that it was out to get "white" people. Black Panther is not "african american" but African....if people didn't realize that they were going to mention colonization then you are new to the character. I loved that Black Panther animated series from a few years ago. I mentioned this because I've seen some ugly stuff being said about the movie on YouTube from non POC's and they really shouldn't feel that way. I thought the movie was dope though and I was surprised that I liked the Dora Milaje (especially their theme music).

Old 02-18-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I just saw the movie and while not the GOAT of cinema, I felt that it was a good movie that had some things from a "black" point of view. Is there anything wrong with that? No, and it really shouldn't be. I also didn't feel that it was out to get "white" people. Black Panther is not "african american" but African....if people didn't realize that they were going to mention colonization then you are new to the character. I loved that Black Panther animated series from a few years ago. I mentioned this because I've seen some ugly stuff being said about the movie on YouTube from non POC's and they really shouldn't feel that way. I thought the movie was dope though and I was surprised that I liked the Dora Milaje (especially their theme music).
I don't know. The scene in the museum and Killmonger's comment about the white people stealing stuff when there was no proof, and the comment from Shuri "oh we got another white boy we can fix" was uncalled for. Either way, let's hope they can help Warmachine out now that we know they can help paralyzed people.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:09 PM

29,532 posts, read 22,783,643 times
Wow, I stand corrected, this movie should easily hit the one billion dollar mark.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...--finance.html

Old 02-18-2018, 12:25 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,136,449 times
Quote:
While I really liked the Black Panther, a day later after I got to thinking about it, and I too felt like Killmonger's character was very similar to Loki (which, can't blame them, Loki has been the MCU's best villain to date)

I also thought that the part with the other tribe and the way the leader was treating Ross and T'Challa, reminded me alot about the Gungan leader meeting with Padme in Star Wars episode 1.

But I guess that's the nature of the game. Once you have seen the first 500 movies of your life, everything else become a bit of dejavu.
Check out the Netflicks series. The characters of Wilson Fisk, Madam Gao, Alexandra, Killgrave, Cottonmouth, Diamondback, Mariah, Shades, and Ward Meachum, as well as Punisher and Elecktra who are frenemies of Daredevil, ALL blow Loki out of the water.

As for the Black Panter film, I intend to see it. I am not sure what the controversy is about and don't much care. I am a Marvel kid for life, and somewhere in my attic I actually have the first appearance of the Black Panter, where he fights the Fantastic 4 for some reason I can't remember.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:33 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,569,646 times
Quote:
I don't know. The scene in the museum and Killmonger's comment about the white people stealing stuff when there was no proof, and the comment from Shuri "oh we got another white boy we can fix" was uncalled for. Either way, let's hope they can help Warmachine out now that we know they can help paralyzed people.
Lol, no. I really don't don't understand why that triggered you about what Killmonger and Shuri said.
Spoiler
Shuri's from the fictional country of Wakanda, right? They're Africans and they're working on the Winter Soldier already, no? You're acting like she called someone, pale devil or something. Regarding, the museum scene with Killmonger, well, I doubt you think they received artifacts via peaceful donation. It's a well known fact that the majority of artifacts in real life were looted out of their respective country and sold. So yeah, Killmonger's words are true. (If someone stole your car and wedding ring and I bought it off of the thief, does it negate the fact that it is stolen properties?) Another thing, POC has dealt with Hollywood having far worse things done and said to them in film and you're triggered by those two things? Anyway, not bashing your opinion or views and I see that you enjoyed the scenes with Ross in it more...he was relatable to you and you shouldn't apologize for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies