Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 09:27 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,577,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Before or after Top Gun was originally released did you see those other movies? Many movies are considered to be good because they are original when they are released.

Worldwide it made: $356,830,601 in 1986.

It was nominated for 4 Oscars. The song, "Take My Breath Away" won.

It made the most domestically of any movie released in 1986 beating Platoon, Crocodile Dundee, The Karate Kid Part II, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Back to School, Aliens, The Golden Child, Ruthless People and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

That was a good year for movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 01:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,614,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
We saw Top Gun recently for the first time because we though we should, and were somewhat disappointed. We had an Is that all? moment. This was followed by watching Officer and a Gentleman, a similar type of movie from the same time period, and we both thought it was better.
Those movies are not comparable. Fighter Pilots are the only thing they have in common.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:44 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,082,320 times
Well I'm surprised women like this movie that much, if it was because of guys on the beach, shirtless, or the guy being with the girl. I mean it's not like there was any sex with the guys on the beach, and the one sex scene the movie does have, was rudimentary at best I would say. Unless a lot of women are just that easily turned on, which is okay.

As for the music, the movie has two really good songs, I agree, but they play them over and over again.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:51 PM

45,556 posts, read 60,809,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Those movies are not comparable. Fighter Pilots are the only thing they have in common.
And not really even that.

I still have flashbacks if I watch An Officer and a Gentleman. They did a good job capturing AOCS, except the haircuts weren't short enough.

Top Gun was a turn and burn movie. If a Naval Aviator did half the stuff Maverick did said Aviator would spend the rest of his tour flying a desk aboard Diego Garcia.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:52 PM

The volleyball scene was a bonus. I said way more about why women liked it earlier in the thread.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And not really even that.

I still have flashbacks if I watch An Officer and a Gentleman. They did a good job capturing AOCS, except the haircuts weren't short enough.

Top Gun was a turn and burn movie. If a Naval Aviator did half the stuff Maverick did said Aviator would spend the rest of his tour flying a desk aboard Diego Garcia.
That's another thing I didn't get about the movie is the Maverick's commander near the beginning, chews him out, telling him that he's going to punish him for how he fliest, etc. But then he says he was compelled to enter him into a higher flying school to elevate his career? Why would he do that if Maverick is such a risk. That was a sudden turn around for him.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The volleyball scene was a bonus. I said way more about why women liked it earlier in the thread.
Oh yes, I re-read and one reason you pointed out was that women like the men getting over the ego thing. So when it comes to movies for guys, to guys have a turn on for when a female character goes through some kind of evolutionary change, out of curiosity?

Old 07-24-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
That's another thing I didn't get about the movie is the Maverick's commander near the beginning, chews him out, telling him that he's going to punish him for how he fliest, etc. But then he says he was compelled to enter him into a higher flying school to elevate his career? Why would he do that if Maverick is such a risk. That was a sudden turn around for him.
The other guy freaked out in the air. Maverick was the next in line.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh yes, I re-read and one reason you pointed out was that women like the men getting over the ego thing. So when it comes to movies for guys, to guys have a turn on for when a female character goes through some kind of evolutionary change, out of curiosity?
That also was not a main thing. I just threw that in.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:32 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,194,493 times
"Danja Zone!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies