Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 12:25 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

"Chappaquidick" was not a very good movie
We saw it and it follows much of the conventional storyline--not that much of an indept investigations about the reality

"Veep" has much better cast and think it will be a hatchet job in that it tells the truth of Cheney/Bush actions
Both should have been prosecuted for war crimes
Cheney as an instigator and Bush as accomplise since he was such a doofus...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 06:30 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
"Chappaquidick" was not a very good movie
We saw it and it follows much of the conventional storyline--not that much of an indept investigations about the reality

"Veep" has much better cast and think it will be a hatchet job in that it tells the truth of Cheney/Bush actions
Both should have been prosecuted for war crimes
Cheney as an instigator and Bush as accomplise since he was such a doofus...
I expect Vice to be much better. Christian Bale has never taken on a movie for the money. It's always the quality of the script for him. And Sam Rockwell as Bush is another good choice, as Sam is a great and up-and-coming actor with some star power of his own.

Hatchet job or not, the relationship between Cheney and Bush was complicated, dynamic and unique. As a subject, it hold much more promise to be engaging than "Chappaquidick" ever had, even if it isn't a hatchet job.

I never intended to go out and see Chappaquidick, but I anticipate seeing Vice. Christian Bale is one of the best actors in the biz today, and I've never been disappointed in any of his movies. I really don't care if a political slant emerges in the flick or not.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:58 AM

I don't consider this move was a "hatchet" job-because it is based on verifiable facts but some of the characterizations are not as accurate as Cheney's himself probably
Rumsfeld's has come under criticism for making him more goofy and trigger-happy than he really is--
One review Birth.Movies.Death website compares it with Shakespeare's history plays and McKay's other film about historical event "The Big Short"...
And has good analysis a more critical viewer might appreciate...

Saw this yesterday
Some people in audience were obviously GOP voters--upset at some of the actions on screen and the liner comments put up as commentary...

It did something I didn't think possible--I hate Cheney--worst than Bush who was Mortimer Snerd to Cheney's Edgar Bergan...but I admit I felt sympathy for Cheney twice in the movie--
For about 15 seconds each--but I did feel it

The editing (or script or direction) creates a problem w/story line--
Too little reason for making some of the backward/forward jumps
Hurts the continuity and doesn't achieve maximum benefit IMO
But there is a reference on screen to the time period--which helps the viewer transfer

Watch the screen credits--very creative and a veritable "hook"...
One thing that IS well done is acting--
Sam Rockwell isn't on much but he is VERY good as Bush the Dumber
Steve Carrell earns his money as Rumsfeld---and makes us forget the real one is about 5 inches taller...
Amy Adams IS Lady MacBeth --early on threatening to cut Cheney loose if he doesn't "man up" and become her surrogate in the world of Men---and ends by sacrificing the younger of her daughters' love to empower the older, more politically-viable one with a smile---
a bravura performance IMO but likely to be discounted because it appears so effortless...

Christian Bale consumes Cheney, creates a seamless performance that dissolves into the man.
Makeup is so good--liver spots on the hands--the hair--the paunch--the mouth movements--
If you watched the documentary w/Cheney from several years ago The World According to Dick Cheney with the real man and then this movie you could confuse the two at times...

But the fact that the lack of confidence/ego Cheney manifests in early stages through to the final scene when Cheney addresses the audience (a la Shakespeare) and claims his mantle of ruthlessness is done as a natural process of a man who is pushed into this life because basically he is afraid of losing the woman he loves (and who loves him as some weird surrogate) and then grows to feed on the power he gains so that it becomes an end into itself...

FWIW--the bedroom scene where Cheney and Lynn wax Shakespearean seems more ""MacBeth""" than "Richard III"...and I would love to know if McKay wrote it or if it actually stole from Shakespear in more than iambic pentameter format...

There are certainly enough deliberate correlations between the power grabbers and wilfully ignorant in Bush/Cheney's WH to draw scary parallels with the syncophants we have seen in Trump's
Judge Scirica has small part early on and then in Bush-Gore decision to make anyone doubt the idea the Supreme Court was EVER non-political--

Just reinforced the failure IMO of Obama's incoming government to call the leadership behind the Iraq invasion to account--
Yes--there were Dems that voted for that resolution--based on false--deliberately false-information...but there were plenty of Americans who were not as dumb as the 'focus groups" designed for the movie's purpose...

Old 12-30-2018, 12:17 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,788,855 times
Christian Bale is one of my all time favorite actors and he did an excellent job portraying Dick Cheney. First if you didn't know Bale played the part you would never recognize him, its that seamless. I am predicting he will be nominated for best actor.

When I saw Vice, it was sold out. People obviously still care to learn more about Dick Cheney and he is way more ruthless than I had previously known about. The guy is corrupt.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:49 PM

We saw it at 445 show--not sold out--but in area that is probably more GOP than DNC

Old 12-31-2018, 10:51 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
About the same amount of 'verifiable truth' as found on liberal talk shows. Very slimy liberal spin that condenses 8-years of the G.W. Bush Presidency into a few sound bytes ... that portray him as a drunken, incompetent idiot - completely manipulated by Dick Cheney.

Makes a lot of ridiculous claims (such as, GWB won the Presidency of the U.S. by 554 votes; and that DC totally selected GWB's cabinet and made all the decisions ... for 8-years(?)). It shows how the left twists a few "factual" events into a fabricated story that reflects their distorted, imaginary view of 'truth.'

Before seeing it, I wondered why Hollywood would reach back almost 20-years to make a movie about Vice President ... and then call it 'VICE', rather than 'VEEP' or perhaps 'Cheney' -- The answer soon became very clear. Only the liberals are going to gush about how 'enlightening, mature, complex or truthful' this pure, propaganda 'smear piece' is. Many others could be seen walking-out of the movie halfway through. Save your time and money on this stinker.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:57 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
About the same amount of 'verifiable truth' as found on liberal talk shows. Very slimy liberal spin that condenses 8-years of the G.W. Bush Presidency into a few sound bytes ... that portray him as a drunken, incompetent idiot - completely manipulated by Dick Cheney.

Makes a lot of ridiculous claims (such as, GWB won the Presidency of the U.S. by 554 votes; and that DC totally selected GWB's cabinet and made all the decisions ... for 8-years(?)). It shows how the left twists a few "factual" events into a fabricated story that reflects their distorted, imaginary view of 'truth.'

Before seeing it, I wondered why Hollywood would reach back almost 20-years to make a movie about Vice President ... and then call it 'VICE', rather than 'VEEP' or perhaps 'Cheney' -- The answer soon became very clear. Only the liberals are going to gush about how 'enlightening, mature, complex or truthful' this pure, propaganda 'smear piece' is. Many others could be seen walking-out of the movie halfway through. Save your time and money on this stinker.
I take it you have not read this: https://www.amazon.com/Bush-Cheney-R.../dp/1566560616

Old 01-01-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
No need for light that would illuminate a pre-ordered mind...

Old 01-01-2019, 05:26 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
After reading the reviews, I decided to skip Vice. I already know the ending.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:15 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I'm actually surprised people don't want to see this cause they think it is depressing to revisit the past. I mean when All The President's Men came out people wanted to see it, even though it was the depressing past. So why not this one?

But All the President's Men had the happy ending of Nixon resigning. Worked for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies