Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 10:13 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

After watching a well done stage play of the Rocky Horror Picture Show i told my 23 year old daughter how much fun the show was,she gave me a blank stare a said thats a weird name for a movie/show,it was obvious she had no idea what the show was about so i sent her a CD of the original movie. She watched it last night and said it was amusing but she just didnt get it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 03:09 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
My kids like it.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:27 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Well, it's one of those campy movies - you have to be in the right mood to play along and she had no context going in...or coming out, I guess!

Old 10-29-2018, 06:17 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
I don't know that it is a generational thing so much as a personality thing. I'm a GenXer. I had friends who loved the movie. I hate it. I love horror movies. I love good campy movies. I even love Tim Curry. But I have never understood the adoration for TRHPC. Ick. It's not Beaches tear-my-eyes-out-bad, but it's pretty close.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:32 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
After watching a well done stage play of the Rocky Horror Picture Show i told my 23 year old daughter how much fun the show was,she gave me a blank stare a said thats a weird name for a movie/show,it was obvious she had no idea what the show was about so i sent her a CD of the original movie. She watched it last night and said it was amusing but she just didnt get it
Well it sounds like she watched it alone, so that might be part of the problem. RHPS is better as a group activity.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:40 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
After watching a well done stage play of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. i told my 23 year old daughter how much fun the show was,she gave me a blank stare a said thats a weird name for a movie/show,it was obvious she had no idea what the show was about so i sent her a CD of the original movie. She watched it last night and said it was amusing but she just didnt get it
It's not a generational thing, people have different tastes in movies. I'm sure you could find people of any age who love the movie, and people the same age who hate it.

My brother is the same age as your daughter. He goes with friends to see the movie at a local movie theater that plays it at midnight the weekend before Halloween each year.

My mom, sister, brother, and I are seeing The Rocky Horror Show in a few months. It's being produced by one of the local colleges. I'm sure their will be a lot of teens and young 20-somethings attending the show as well.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:42 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't know that it is a generational thing so much as a personality thing. I'm a GenXer. I had friends who loved the movie. I hate it. I love horror movies. I love good campy movies. I even love Tim Curry. But I have never understood the adoration for TRHPC. Ick. It's not Beaches tear-my-eyes-out-bad, but it's pretty close.
It’s definitely one of those movies you either love or hate. I fall in the I LOVE IT camp. I was in the shadow cast when I was younger (magenta) and it was some of my best high school memories.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:10 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Alot of popularity of that movie are due to the old days and how it was like to watch it in the theaters, people dressing up as the characters, audience interaction and participation were HUGE back then. It wasnt like just going to watch a movie at a theater, it was much more than that.

I remember going to see it in the downtown area at midnight a handful of times with groups of friends, it was always a blast, very fun. The more people in the audience, the better it was.

Its not really that enjoyable to just sit around at home and watch this movie, it was never intended to be THAT kind of movie anyway.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Alot of popularity of that movie are due to the old days and how it was like to watch it in the theaters, people dressing up as the characters, audience interaction and participation were HUGE back then. It wasnt like just going to watch a movie at a theater, it was much more than that.
Many places still do these types of showings, especially around Halloween.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:58 AM

10,359 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Many places still do these types of showings, especially around Halloween.
I just went to one last night, at my local Alamo Drafthouse. Tons of fun!

Watching TRHPS at home and watching it at a theater movie party with props, audience participation, costumes, etc. are two entirely different experiences.

Last edited by Aredhel; 10-30-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies