Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 11:14 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times

Advertisements

But what do slave owners care of the IQ of the slaves? They still have their slaves, which is what they wanted, so why be so picky as to what race or IQ the slaves are? They are still slaves. That's the part I don't get. That's like saying I could use a car, but I only will buy Japanese, because Europeans are too sophisticated to be making cars, or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 11:24 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But what do slave owners care of the IQ of the slaves? They still have their slaves, which is what they wanted, so why be so picky as to what race or IQ the slaves are? They are still slaves. That's the part I don't get. That's like saying I could use a car, but I only will buy Japanese, because Europeans are too sophisticated to be making cars, or something like that.
This is not a conversation to be having here, in the movies forum. There is a lot of research out there about institutional racism in North America.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:31 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
To them again black people were more akin to animals then people. That allowed people who otherwise believed they are good Christians, to subordinate them. It wasn’t about their IQ, it was about their humanness. You can say the same thing in action in the Middle East and other countries where they treat women as little more than chattel. They believe their God is OK with this, because they believe that women truly are lesser then men. White people were able to convince themselves that God was OK with them and slaving an entire race of people, because they believe that that race was lesser humans in Gods eyes.

The first step to subordinating any race of people Is to demonize them and make them seem separate from the rest of the group. It doesn’t matter whether it’s blacks, Jews, women or Mexicans.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:19 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
It just seems that way lately, like we've been getting a lot of movies that deal with that type of subject matter, such as 12 Years A Slave, Django Unchained, Get Out, Moonlight, The Help, Blackkklansman, Hidden Figures, and now Green Book.

But it seems like quite a bit more than usual lately, and I was wondering if there is any particular reason for that, or is it all a coincidence? Doesn't seem like a coincidence, with the number of movies lately, but what do you think, or what is the reason for it out of curiosity?
I've noticed this too. Whether it's "too many" or not is a subjective opinion, but it does seem to me that movies with the theme of white people being racist against black people have been popping up pretty consistently in the past several years.

The issue I have with this is not that these stories should be swept under the rug, but that the totality of them is giving a one-sided impression. And the impression is, white people are racist. Period. But the truth is more complex than that. The fact is, every group includes its bad-apple racists. Yet, where are the movies that tell the stories of racist "people of color"? Why hasn't anyone (to my knowledge) made a movie about the Los Angeles riots, when black people specifically targeted white motorists and Asian shopkeepers to rob from them and assault them? Or the Puerto Rican Day parade in New York when some Hispanic people attacked and raped others in the park? Or when Colin Ferguson (a black man) shot a bunch of white and Asian people on a Long Island commuter train, while deliberately sparing other black people? Or about the Fountain Valley massacre on St. Croix? And so on, and so on.

If the Hollywood filmmakers were interested in creating movies that reflect an honest appraisal of America's social problems, movies about these subjects would be playing alongside 12 Years a Slave and others like it. But my sense is that the filmmakers, as a group, tend to hold the viewpoint that racism is a one-way street, with white people as its source. And that's why we see a good number of movies about racist white people but almost none about racist non-white people.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:32 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is not a conversation to be having here, in the movies forum. There is a lot of research out there about institutional racism in North America.
That's true, sorry I got sidetracked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've noticed this too. Whether it's "too many" or not is a subjective opinion, but it does seem to me that movies with the theme of white people being racist against black people have been popping up pretty consistently in the past several years.

The issue I have with this is not that these stories should be swept under the rug, but that the totality of them is giving a one-sided impression. And the impression is, white people are racist. Period. But the truth is more complex than that. The fact is, every group includes its bad-apple racists. Yet, where are the movies that tell the stories of racist "people of color"? Why hasn't anyone (to my knowledge) made a movie about the Los Angeles riots, when black people specifically targeted white motorists and Asian shopkeepers to rob from them and assault them? Or the Puerto Rican Day parade in New York when some Hispanic people attacked and raped others in the park? Or when Colin Ferguson (a black man) shot a bunch of white and Asian people on a Long Island commuter train, while deliberately sparing other black people? Or about the Fountain Valley massacre on St. Croix? And so on, and so on.

If the Hollywood filmmakers were interested in creating movies that reflect an honest appraisal of America's social problems, movies about these subjects would be playing alongside 12 Years a Slave and others like it. But my sense is that the filmmakers, as a group, tend to hold the viewpoint that racism is a one-way street, with white people as its source. And that's why we see a good number of movies about racist white people but almost none about racist non-white people.
Well as far as movies go, one movie I could think of with a black character who is racist against whites, set in L.A., is Lakeview Terrace, but the movie never really took off and most people do not know about it.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:03 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
To them again black people were more akin to animals then people. That allowed people who otherwise believed they are good Christians, to subordinate them. It wasn’t about their IQ, it was about their humanness. You can say the same thing in action in the Middle East and other countries where they treat women as little more than chattel. They believe their God is OK with this, because they believe that women truly are lesser then men. White people were able to convince themselves that God was OK with them and slaving an entire race of people, because they believe that that race was lesser humans in Gods eyes.

The first step to subordinating any race of people Is to demonize them and make them seem separate from the rest of the group. It doesn’t matter whether it’s blacks, Jews, women or Mexicans.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ocnjgirl again."

Old 02-15-2019, 06:51 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

I have to agree that there's a uniform "white people, we are talking to you" theme in these recent movies (and not just movies). Compare it to a movie like Do The Right Thing as an example, which had a multifaceted and multi-generational portrayal about racism. One isn't better than the other, and I'm not opposed to artistic license. But at the same time, that kind of variety in writing with some exception is lacking in these annual releases of late.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Okay for sure, I know of the slavery thing, but if American white people wanted slaves, why didn't they just buy and sell white slaves, instead of bringing a whole new race into it, which would cost more money to import them and all?
Where would you buy white slaves? Have there ever been white slaves, besides women used in the sex industry?

There were laws against crimes against people, which at the time, didn't involve Black people. You couldn't just grab up your white neighbor and enslave him.

Although interestingly, that's exactly what was done with share croppers after slavery was abolished in the US. Poor white people were employed, allowed to have a small garden plot of their own to feed their families, and required to buy all their goods from the "company store", where the prices were kept high enough to always keep them in dept so they couldn't leave.

So there was that.

And as much as the slave owning culture believed their slaves were sub-human, the male slave owners didn't believe they were committing beastiality having sex with the pretty women slaves.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:53 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Where would you buy white slaves? Have there ever been white slaves, besides women used in the sex industry?

There were laws against crimes against people, which at the time, didn't involve Black people. You couldn't just grab up your white neighbor and enslave him.

Although interestingly, that's exactly what was done with share croppers after slavery was abolished in the US. Poor white people were employed, allowed to have a small garden plot of their own to feed their families, and required to buy all their goods from the "company store", where the prices were kept high enough to always keep them in dept so they couldn't leave.

So there was that.

And as much as the slave owning culture believed their slaves were sub-human, the male slave owners didn't believe they were committing beastiality having sex with the pretty women slaves.
Have you ever researched white slavery? It’s an interesting part of history that you don’t hear too much about.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:07 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We can’t move on because the problems that allowed slavery still exist, people who want to erase black peoples existence from the earth still exist, and equality still eludes us.

Tell me one country that doesn’t celebrate its war victories.
Yeah well viruses and bacteria’s still exist, car accidents exist and yet we find a way to eat, battle the flu and drive everyday. The fact that something that threatens our way of life exists is no reason to be paralyzed by fear of it or give it far more importance than it deserves.

The only countries that ‘celebrate’ war ‘victories’ are the ones that haven’t had a real one on their shores.

There’s no such thing as a ‘war victory’ and there’s usually little to celebrate after-no matter who ‘wins’. But of course Americans would not know that. One only has to watch our war and apocalypse movies. We fantasize about it like it’s some ultimate video game. It’s not that exciting when it’s real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies