Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 05:55 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Thrift and antique malls and bookstores around here often have decent pickings. I picked up a complete boxed "Godfather" saga set for $7 at an antiques mall, could have had all of the Young Indiana Jones series for about $35 at a bookstore. People are dumping their collections and older generation viewers are dying off and their families are donating those.
That's what I imagine that when I go, there is going to be a heck of an estate sale.

Why, they may even get hundreds for my copy of Glenn Corbett (bought it at a lot less)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 06:09 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
The last DVD I purchased was a 4-movie set of Dirty Harry flicks: Dirty Harry, The Enforcer, Magnum Force, and Sudden Impact, for $5.50. At Tops lol, a grocery store.

Of course I'd seen clips and knew about these movies, but had never seen one. Some were better than others, but I think it was a great buy.

DH and I have gotten many at one particular Walmart, which sells them for $1.97 for a couple of weeks throughout the year. What we like is that, instead of in those bargain bins, they're displayed on a rack, for easy perusal.

And, yes, Dollar Tree, too.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
The movie Ted.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:43 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I get most of them from Amazon; the buy the other day was from a dollar store.

We had a thread here on city-data within the last year where one was poster was a seller and they say they charged what they thought the market would bear. The movie "The Stranger" is an excellent example for I often see that flick in the hundreds........someone must really believe that Glenn Corbett was quite the heartthrob.

MUCH of my library was bought starting in the first of this second decade of this century when there was a great glut from the video stores closing out. When I was buying, the prices were low because the inventory was huge but as the inventory goes down, so do the prices go up. IMHO.

As far Amazon restricting only to big companies, I doubt that. They are my major source. Sometimes, one can get it still at the low prices of yesterday, though a lot of it is at the prices of today. A lot of it is the technology of today as well for I look for a movie and it is out there for streaming.....and I can't touch for streaming doesn't exist in this area. To say nothing about how streaming operates for if I buy something, I want it in my hot little hand. What may bring the cost down for me, though, if it is in other than Region 1 format. That usually drops the price by a half or more and I have the machines to watch that.

If Amazon is restricting, then it must have been in the last month but let's run an experiment right now. Say I got on a buying spree for (looks over to the book case, sees Quiller) for George Segal, what movies could Amazon offer me. Okay, the search starts off with a lot of video streams which are useless to me but it eventually starts showing DVDs are reasonable prices, $7-16ish, in today's market.

Hmmmmm, this experiment may get me into another buy spree, but not for George, never held him that high, but another name or two that is showing up. Fortunately, for me and my purse, I am not that motivated but Amazon does appear ready to sell to me. Another "fortunate" thing is that as I review my purchases since 2011, I see that I really have a lot of stuff in the library that I need to watch!

"The Beast That Killed Women"..........THE Juliet Anderson?
Oops my typo! I mean they restrict sellers, not buyers. There are now less sellers on Amazon which creates a lack of competition where sellers can jack up the price. Whenever I shop for a personal DVD I always check Amazon and eBay to see which has the better price then throw it in Google in case any other place might pop up. Of course I usually only buy obscure stuff that Netflix would never stream or Walmart would never carry in-store. If you’re just after mainstream stuff or new releases then there are a lot more avenues to go down.

Also, you’re right about The Beast That Killed Women. It also has a 2.6 on IMDB so should make for some good campy fun. Last night I also popped in a DVD I bought last year, but hadn’t gotten around to watching, The Thing With Two Heads. It’s about a racist white doctor who is dying and needs to have his head put on someone else’s body to keep him alive. The only one available is an African-American guy on death row. There is also a chase scene where The Thing With Two Heads rides a motorcycle and about 14 car crashes happen.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:08 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Oops my typo! I mean they restrict sellers, not buyers. There are now less sellers on Amazon which creates a lack of competition where sellers can jack up the price. Whenever I shop for a personal DVD I always check Amazon and eBay to see which has the better price then throw it in Google in case any other place might pop up. Of course I usually only buy obscure stuff that Netflix would never stream or Walmart would never carry in-store. If you’re just after mainstream stuff or new releases then there are a lot more avenues to go down.

Also, you’re right about The Beast That Killed Women. It also has a 2.6 on IMDB so should make for some good campy fun. Last night I also popped in a DVD I bought last year, but hadn’t gotten around to watching, The Thing With Two Heads. It’s about a racist white doctor who is dying and needs to have his head put on someone else’s body to keep him alive. The only one available is an African-American guy on death row. There is also a chase scene where The Thing With Two Heads rides a motorcycle and about 14 car crashes happen.

The Thing with Two Heads, Ray Milland and Rosie Grier, I believe. Never seen it but there are enough pictures of it. That's one creature feature I don't think I would watch....but there are other horror works of Ray's worth a look such as Premature Burial.

As far as "The Beast that....", I just looked it up and saw her name. Never seen any of Aunt Peg's work but the name is familiar enough.

My buying of flicks off Amazon has been down this year, mostly because the issue of money but also because the library has so much stuff in it now and I have so little time to watch any given day. I still do keep to my theme nights though some movies are stretched out over days, so the themes might need adjustment.

Sunday-Men&Women of Steel (or Steal)
Monday-Swords&Clubs
Tuesday-DIE, SPY!
Wednesday - SUPERCHICK
Thursday-Cops&Robbers
Friday-Horror
Saturday-Sci Fi

Got to run!

Old 06-10-2019, 12:07 PM

740 posts, read 457,023 times
Quote:
I was curious where do you get your DVDs. It seems like you get them at a good price. You can find some great deals on eBay too. .

You can not buy DVDs and Blu-Rays for cheap on Amazon or Ebay. Now if you are looking for a rare, hard to find....you may find it there for a decent price. I usually buy foreign films on eBay because you just can't find it locally.

I buy my DVDs and BluRays used and in great condition from discount and second-hand stores in my local area. DVDs are $2. BluRays are $3. Sometimes, I can find great deals at flea markets as well, especially the big flea markets. If you are willing to buy in bulk, check Craigslist. People are always getting rid of their movies...You can buy all of them at an X amount of dollars.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:36 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
You can not buy DVDs and Blu-Rays for cheap on Amazon or Ebay. Now if you are looking for a rare, hard to find....you may find it there for a decent price. I usually buy foreign films on eBay because you just can't find it locally. snip
Most of the DVDs I want are around $5. There are sets (3-4) that can cost $20, so they are well worth the price; the ones I want are older though since I prefer them to newer releases.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:14 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,337 times
Just won an auction for the Criterion release of Eyes Without a Face. Only about $11 though I usually see it selling for much more.

I’ve never seen it, but have wanted to for years. With movies like that I want to see the best version possible so I don’t get a bad impression of it due to edited version or just bad quality prints out there.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:28 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Just won an auction for the Criterion release of Eyes Without a Face. Only about $11 though I usually see it selling for much more.

I’ve never seen it, but have wanted to for years. With movies like that I want to see the best version possible so I don’t get a bad impression of it due to edited version or just bad quality prints out there.
Oh yeah! Excellent thinking. I remember the difference between a cheap VHS of "Wings" and the restored version. I was stunned. The only time that idea has worked in reverse for me was when I was smart to get an early DVD release of "Star Wars" that had the original theatre version on it as a bonus.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:25 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
What's a DVD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies