Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2019, 11:08 AM

22,924 posts, read 28,298,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Do you have the sense that the people who find "Endgame" to be "sad" would also find "The Brave Little Toaster" to be "sad"? Death is often an emotionally powerful theme. But it's also a theme that leaves the strongest impression among juvenile audiences. The concept of finality can be quite a jarring one for an 8-year old.
Actually, I'll cast no shade on The Brave Little Toaster. That's actually a great little movie --- and has a lot more pathos than any of the AVENGERS movies --- and I say that as someone who quite liked two of the three AVENGERS flicks.

TBLT is unabashedly and unashamedly a kids movie, but that doesn't keep it from being smart with a surprising amount of depth.

"For kids" doesn't necessarily have to mean "empty entertainment only." Too many kids movies talk down to kids. More should try to lift them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
Oh look, more references to TBLT again! What, no love for The Rescuers, or The Great Mouse Detective?
All three of those are great movies.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:17 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,625,332 times
Anyone who says this "isn't cinema" had better sleep with one eye open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlQ_DgOPrBg

Old 10-15-2019, 11:23 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,761,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Actually, I'll cast no shade on The Brave Little Toaster. That's actually a great little movie --- and has a lot more pathos than any of the AVENGERS movies --- and I say that as someone who quite liked two of the three AVENGERS flicks.

TBLT is unabashedly and unashamedly a kids movie, but that doesn't keep it from being smart with a surprising amount of depth.

"For kids" doesn't necessarily have to mean "empty entertainment only." Too many kids movies talk down to kids. More should try to lift them up.
Oh, I agree they are great movies. I just think they are close to the same intellectual level as MCU films. "Sadness" is about the extent of the emotional complexity an 8-year old can process intellectually and experience in a visceral way. So when people say these MCU films have depth because they get teary-eyed when Iron Man dies at the end, I don't really see how that's any different from TBLT or The Lion King. Those films can't explore any themes much deeper than that because most kids simply wouldn't get it (some adults wouldn't get it either).

Tony Stark valiantly dying at the end is not really the same as Michael Corleone dying at the end of the Godfather saga. Stark dies fighting bad guys. Easy to understand. Michael dies under the weight of a guilty conscience. It's not just "sad" because his daughter dies; it's sad that he's made a lifetime of decisions that led to that point.

So are both "cinema"? Who's to say? But one is a lot less complex due to the broad demographics the studio is targeting.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:44 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,323,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
All three of those are great movies.

I agree.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Oh, I agree they are great movies. I just think they are close to the same intellectual level as MCU films. "Sadness" is about the extent of the emotional complexity an 8-year old can process intellectually and experience in a visceral way. So when people say these MCU films have depth because they get teary-eyed when Iron Man dies at the end, I don't really see how that's any different from TBLT or The Lion King. Those films can't explore any themes much deeper than that because most kids simply wouldn't get it (some adults wouldn't get it either).

Tony Stark valiantly dying at the end is not really the same as Michael Corleone dying at the end of the Godfather saga. Stark dies fighting bad guys. Easy to understand. Michael dies under the weight of a guilty conscience. It's not just "sad" because his daughter dies; it's sad that he's made a lifetime of decisions that led to that point.

So are both "cinema"? Who's to say? But one is a lot less complex due to the broad demographics the studio is targeting.

I can see you've still chosen to ignore my response to End Game/Marvel movies having more than just sadness as an emotion. And Stark died because he chose to sacrifice himself, knowing it was the only way they'd win once and for all. Yeah, they were in a war with the bad guys, but his choice led to his death. (Hence Dr. Strange and how he saw into the future that there was only one outcome where they'd emerge victorious)

And all of Stark's choices in life led up to his death. Again, he went through with it because he was promised it would bring everyone back, especially Spider-Man, who he saw as a son.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
His movies are different from Marvel movies, sure, but his MAIN beef appears to be with theater owners and distributors and the difficulty of getting other movies shown, not with the movies themselves.

That's exactly what it is. Boor crybaby couldn't get enough funding for The Irishman, and no one really wanted to pick it up. That's why it's available on Netflix the same day it's out in theaters. Other reason is because it's 4 hour movie. It's also a movie he should've made years ago when De Niro, Pacino, and Pesci were a lot younger. Surprised they didn't need walkers or a travel nurse onsite for this film. And Scorsese took a note from Marvel and Disney's page by using the CGI/digital face mapping technology they use to make actors look younger. He used quite a bit on Pacino and you can notice it instantly. So he should be thanking Marvel if anything.

Last edited by DK736; 10-15-2019 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-15-2019, 11:57 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,761,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
I can see you've still chosen to ignore my response to End Game/Marvel movies having more than just sadness as an emotion. And Stark died because he chose to sacrifice himself, knowing it was the only way they'd win once and for all. Yeah, they were in a war with the bad guys, but his choice led to his death. (Hence Dr. Strange and how he saw into the future that there was only one outcome where they'd emerge victorious)
Yes, the MCU has all the depth of a Nancy Drew novel. Actually, I'm not sure why I'm insulting Nancy Drew novels. They have much better storylines.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, the MCU has all the depth of a Nancy Drew novel. Actually, I'm not sure why I'm insulting Nancy Drew novels. They have much better storylines.

Whatever. Let's see how well The Irishman does. Ray Romano is the only interesting thing about that movie.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Agreed.

Which is why I think that the response of "It's a super hero movie! What do you expect?" any time someone points out pretty big weaknesses in the genre is cop out. I get it that these are super hero movies, not Aeschylus or Chekov. That's still no excuse for weak writing and downright idiot plots.

Quote:
Aim high. That's all I'm asking. I don't care what the genre is. Make the absolute best movie possible. Anything less is a waste of our time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies