Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 05:34 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Watched Phantom of the Opera Movie last evening, and I tell you true, in the beginning, when that chandelier, goes up and the music starts to play....Wow, I still get chills.

Gerald Butler, is fantastic....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJHMMrVgd-I

bought back some very fond memories from the year, 1999.
Remember Me?

Last edited by cremebrulee; 12-05-2018 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 05:56 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
I saw the stage show in London back in 1986. To be sat in a theatre, and hear that music played 'live' in front of you, gave me the shivers.

The film looked beautiful, but I thought Gerard Butler was a terrible Phantom. If the film could have been made 15 years earlier, with Michael Crawford playing the Phantom, it would have been a great movie.

I saw Crawford play the role a number of times, in London and New York City. Nobody ever played the part as well as he did.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:29 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The film looked beautiful, but I thought Gerard Butler was a terrible Phantom. If the film could have been made 15 years earlier, with Michael Crawford playing the Phantom, it would have been a great movie.

I saw Crawford play the role a number of times, in London and New York City. Nobody ever played the part as well as he did.
I'll take Ramin Karimloo or Colm Wilkinson over Crawford any day.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I saw the stage show in London back in 1986. To be sat in a theatre, and hear that music played 'live' in front of you, gave me the shivers.

My friend and I were just talking about her being in London, and she wanted to go see it but didn't...she says to this day she kicks herself. LOL

You and my girlfriend both felt the same way about the movie, me, I loved it...

I saw it twice in NYC, but now forget who played the Phantom....

Remember seeing a black and white version of it when I was a kid and was so intrigued by the Phantom...where he lived...though at the time, didn't understand it very well....but still loved it.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:05 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'll take Ramin Karimloo or Colm Wilkinson over Crawford any day.
I never saw them playing the part. I did see Dave Willetts play the Phantom in Manchester, and Anthony Crivello in Las Vegas. You need to have seen Michael Crawford play the part to understand why I think he was the best, and would have made a wonderful film Phantom.

Sadly, he was too old by the time the film was made. In London, and NYC, Michael reduced the audience to tears. I didn't see that happen with Willetts or Crivello.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:58 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
I never saw them playing the part. I did see Dave Willetts play the Phantom in Manchester, and Anthony Crivello in Las Vegas. You need to have seen Michael Crawford play the part to understand why I think he was the best, and would have made a wonderful film Phantom.
I've seen him. I'm just not a fan. At all. I'm also not a fan of Brightman (she actually grates on my nerves). Not a popular opinion, but that's okay. I own it.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:04 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
I love the movie version, but I was unmoved by Gerard Butler's portrayal.

I saw the Phantom at the Magestic in 2010. Although I thought that this particular cast wasn’t very good, there’s nothing like seeing a musical live.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:23 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
I wasn't into a Gerard Butler Phantom, either. I mean, I like Gerard Butler okay-- even half of his face is better than many with a whole face, lol-- but not in this. His voice is clearly more suited to rock music, which isn't suited to the Phantom. And he was way too young-- for someone supposed to be a contemporary of Mme. Giry, he probably shouldn't look closer in age to her daughter than to her.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:54 AM

Thank you for all your comments....

Old 12-06-2018, 05:09 AM

Thank you for all your comments....

I suppose for me, it was all about the premise of the show, movie....and there have been many adaptions, but loved the movie with Gerald Butler...and his voice....

When I was little, remember watching the old movie version, believe it was black and white and was so intrigued, by the show...for me, it symbolized the phantom as a sort of good guy void of social skills, not a deformed face...his face didn't frighten me...I felt sorry for him, sorry for all he had missed and lost in his childhood, and wondered how anyone could treat a child like that? The phantom as a child, made me feel safe, while watching that movie....I don't know who the actor and actresses were in the movie...but the phantom for me, wasn't a bad person...just so void of love and affection.... But the movie, show, left a soul ridden image of how cruel and thoughtless humans can be....at the time I was very young...but made me feel sad for him...and sad for those who didn't understand him.

When I became an adult, and graduated to the New York Broadway show, (saw it twice), and could go again and again....
cannot explain in words what the song the organ plays as the Chandelier moves from the dirty floor to it's rightful place in the Opera House.....those Organ notes (the Overture) all work together so well, and send chills up and down my whole being....I am a loss for words....so beautifully composed and expressed....which for a moment, takes me to a place of great joy and happiness....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe68oZ5SkqY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6KFmLeN5xk

Last edited by cremebrulee; 12-06-2018 at 05:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies