Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,225 times

Advertisements

The Internet isn't helping me with this. In the old classic movie "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye, there is a scene where Danny Kaye's love interest talks about them getting engaged. As she scoots closer to him and he backs away more and more, she talks about her positive qualities and he says "Yeah, but I feel the same way about my cocker spaniel!" (Or something close to that. I don't feel like rewinding the movie right now to get the exact words.)

If you look and listen carefully, you will see that this is an overdub. Does anyone know what he originally said... what the original line was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 19,895 times
Just watched it with my wife muted a few hundred times. The line is,"Sure, but I DON'T feel the same way about getting married". Watch with audio muted to confirm.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 11,485 times
I’ve been searching all over for this answer as well. Not only is Kaye mouthing different words, the sound of Kaye’s voice totally changes when it is dubbed. One can hardly tell it is actually Kaye’s voice at all doing the dubbing it is so different.
If that was indeed what was really said, why in the world did they feel the need to dub over those lines??? What was wrong with him saying that?? They should have left it alone and not dubbed over it at all!! It was an innocent enough line.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:12 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmack_98 View Post
Just watched it with my wife muted a few hundred times. The line is,"Sure, but I DON'T feel the same way about getting married". Watch with audio muted to confirm.
I know this poster will probably not see this, but I sure would like to know how he muted his wife! That could come in handy.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:40 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile My dad's favorite movie

Great memories of watching this as I was growing up. I cry every year.

I'll have to listen more carefully the next time!

Old 01-14-2019, 07:46 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheedreems View Post
I’ve been searching all over for this answer as well. Not only is Kaye mouthing different words, the sound of Kaye’s voice totally changes when it is dubbed. One can hardly tell it is actually Kaye’s voice at all doing the dubbing it is so different.
If that was indeed what was really said, why in the world did they feel the need to dub over those lines??? What was wrong with him saying that?? They should have left it alone and not dubbed over it at all!! It was an innocent enough line.
It could have been one of those post-production decisions. Someone thought the line needed to be changed and Kaye wasn't available to dub in the new dialog.

There are always little mistakes in the script that make it onto the film that aren't caught until very late in the post-production process. Sometimes the mistakes don't make much of a difference, sometimes they do.

And there are always a person or two working in post-production who make mistakes, too.

Back in the day, that dubbing was very hard to accomplish so seamlessly as to be invisible, even if Kaye did the over-dub. Back then, a small bit of film that ended up on the cutting room floor by mistake couldn't be repaired. Altering the sound track was just as difficult.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 10,558 times
There is a line later in which Phil says something like "she's far superior to my cocker spaniel." That line would be odd without the earlier reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies