Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 05:05 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times

Advertisements

If they don't have John Travolta introducing Idina Menzel ... well that would just be an opportunity missed!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 06:42 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I would as well. I thought it was very original, taut, and engrossing, while making social commentary at the same time.

The 'major' nominations...to me...are Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Adapted Screenplay.

Right after the nominations come out, I look at them to determine which films cover the nominations in those eight categories (which can fluctuate between 40-45.....all categories = 5, except Best Picture is anywhere between 5-10). This year, 17 films cover the 44 nominations.

I then start looking at theater showtimes, DVD release dates, etc. to determine how I will see the films that are available.

Very, very early Tuesday morning (Jan. 14th) I heard that the nominations were out (released on Jan. 13), and within a couple of hours I had an initial plan, and I hadn't seen any of the seventeen.

By the end of Monday night (Jan. 20th) I'd seen 15 of the 17....9 in a theater, 3 on DVD from Redbox, and 3 on Netflix.

I haven't seen Cynthia Erivo as Harriet Tubman, and I haven't seen Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers. Fortunately, Harriet comes out on DVD on January 28th, and A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood comes out on iTunes on February 4th.....both before the February 9th awards show. For those who live in the DFW area, or LA or NYC, both Harriet and A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood are playing in those areas in at least one theater through at least tomorrow night Jan. 22nd.

Best Picture

1. Parasite
2. The Irishman
3/4/5. All three ----to me---equal in quality, each in their own way---so no particular order.............Little Women, Jojo Rabbit, and 1917.
6. Ford vs. Ferrari
7. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
8. Marriage Story
9. Joker

I enjoyed all of them, except the Joker, and I usually like films that some consider controversial, and I've liked most of the films that have originated from characters from 'Batman'.

Best Actress

Of the four of the five I've seen so far, it's neck and neck between Charlize Theron as Megyn Kelly, and Renee Zellweger as Judy Garland. IMO, both just nailed each role. If I had to give a slight edge, it would probably be to Charlize Theron. Number three would be Saoirse Ronan in Little Women, and number four would be Scarlett Johansson in Marriage Story. Re the one performance I've yet to see.....some reviewers think Cynthia Erivo gave the top performance as Harriet Tubman in Harriet .

Best Supporting Actress

1. Scarlett Johansson in Jojo Rabbit
2. Florence Pugh in Little Women (IMO, she's a close second...these top two performances are elevated above the others)
3. Laura Dern in Marriage Story
4. Margot Robbie in Bombshell
5. Kathy Bates in Richard Jewell

Best Director

1. Bong Joon-Ho for Parasite
2. Martin Scorsese for The Irishman
3. Sam Mendes for 1917
4. Quentin Tarantino for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
5. Todd Phillips for Joker

Best Actor

1. Adam Driver for Marriage Story
2. Jonathan Pryce for The Two Popes
3. Joaquin Phoenix for Joker
4. Antonio Banderas for Pain and Glory
5. Leonardo DiCaprio for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

IMO, both Driver's part and Pryce's part each required a certain subtlety to absolutely ace and, IMO both nailed those rolls. Parts like how The Joker was written for the film....I think if you have the chops (and Phoenix does...IMO, he was fantastic in 'Her', in 'Walk The Line', etc) that part wasn't as difficult for him to nail.

Best Supporting Actor

so far....

1. Joe Pesci in The Irishman
2. Anthony Hopkins in The Two Popes
3. Al Pacino in The Irishman
4. Brad Pitt in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

and Tom Hanks in A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood will rank....????? We'll see.

Best Original Screenplay

1. Parasite
2. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
3. Knives Out
4. 1917
5. Marriage Story

Best Adapted Screenplay

1. The Irishman
2. Jojo Rabbit
3. The Two Popes
4. Little Women
5. Joker

I purchased 'A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood' on iTunes earlier today (it's not available for rental for a few more days).

Tom Hanks nailed it. But I still thought Joe Pesci's performance was #1.

This category was the first one awarded and, as expected, Brad Pitt won (SMH).

I like Brad pitt as much as the next person...I just thought this performance of his ranked #5 out of the 5 nominated.

.......On a more positive note (IMO), the second 'major' (to me) award has been awarded for Best Original Screenplay......and Parasite won !!!!!

Old 02-09-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I purchased 'A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood' on iTunes earlier today (it's not available for rental for a few more days).

Tom Hanks nailed it. But I still thought Joe Pesci's performance was #1.

This category was the first one awarded and, as expected, Brad Pitt won (SMH).

I like Brad pitt as much as the next person...I just thought this performance of his ranked #5 out of the 5 nominated.

.......On a more positive note (IMO), the second 'major' (to me) award has been awarded for Best Original Screenplay......and Parasite won !!!!!

And now Best Adapted Screenplay has been announced...and Jojo Rabbit won.

I thought it was a solid second, but I thought The Irishman was so well written...which I think is sometimes harder for a very long piece.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:06 PM

Per the announcer, Best Supporting Actress is coming up in the next segment.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:25 PM

I don't think Laura Dern should have won (and I'm a huge Laura Dern fan), but I thought what she said about her parents (both Oscar nominated actors as well) was very touching.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I don't think Laura Dern should have won (and I'm a huge Laura Dern fan), but I thought what she said about her parents (both Oscar nominated actors as well) was very touching.
Agreed on both counts!

Old 02-09-2020, 08:29 PM

I may be wrong, but I thing winning Best International Feature Film isn't a good omen for Parasite re possibly winning Best Picture.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:55 PM

Love it! Bong Joon-ho wins Best Director for Parasite.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I thing winning Best International Feature Film isn't a good omen for Parasite re possibly winning Best Picture.
Who knows? Parasite definitely seems to be the Academy darling this year!

Old 02-09-2020, 09:25 PM

Congratulations, to Renee Zellweger. I still think Cynthia Erivo should have won, but if it couldn't be her, I'm glad it fell to one of my next two choices (Renee and Charlize) who I thought were neck and neck until I saw Cynthia Erivo's performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies