Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 08:16 AM

22,964 posts, read 28,406,916 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 08:30 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,007,904 times
Okay, I watched the trailer, and I'll try to keep an open mind. But I have a hard time visualizing Valley Girl without Deborah Foreman, one of the most charming and beautiful young actresses to come out of the 80s.

Remember Deborah Foreman in My Chauffeur? Quite.Simply.Stunning.

--

Old 04-17-2020, 08:38 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,368,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Okay, I watched the trailer, and I'll try to keep an open mind. But I have a hard time visualizing Valley Girl without Deborah Foreman, one of the most charming and beautiful young actresses to come out of the 80s.

Remember Deborah Foreman in My Chauffeur? Quite.Simply.Stunning.

--
I have a hard time visualizing it without the young Nicolas Cage. It was the movie that launched him, and you can almost cut through the thick air of dangerous bad-boy sexuality emanating from the screen.

The original worked not just because of the actors, but it was relevant culturally to that time. Not sure how well it will go over with younger folks today.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:46 AM

I liked the original quite a lot. This remake, despite having some really good actors, looks a bit too DISNEY for me. You can see a story in there, but then everyone has to start singing and dancing for no reason.

And c'mon. If you're gonna use classic '80s pop songs, then use the classic '80s pop songs. Don't use bland, crappy covers.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:46 AM

1,142 posts, read 582,775 times
What drives me nuts is this show was funny due to the mocking of teenage girls talking like Valley Girls

Now we have young and old men and women talking like Valley Girls.

"Like" is in every other sentence. Grrr...

I'm surprised tubular and gag me with a spoon isn't included in our dumbed-down vocabulary of today

I loved the movie though. I was a Freshman in high school and have watched it 4-5x since.

Not sure how they are going to re-create it since it's a completely different time now. A guy (nick cage) jumping into a bathroom window hiding in the shower to talk to a girl who enters putting on her makeup could be construed as stalking. Pair that with him following her around when she's out at the mall, on a date at the theatre, sleeping all night on her lawn and you've got more of what makes a thriller nowadays vs a comedy. We'll see. Maybe Moon Zappa will make a guest appearance or play the mother or grandmother in this film. Too bad her Dad Frank Zappa is dead now.

Last edited by SaraR.; 04-17-2020 at 08:56 AM..

Old 04-17-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
What drives me nuts is this show was funny due to the mocking of teenage girls talking like Valley Girls

Now we have well grown men and women talking like Valley Girls. "Like" is in every other sentence. I'm surprised tubular and gag me with a spoon isn't included in our dumbed-down vocabulary of today

I loved the movie. I was a Freshman in high school and have watched it a few times since.

Not sure how they are going to re-create it, it's a completely different time now. A guy jumping into a bathroom window while a girl puts on make-up hiding in the shower would be construed as stalking nowadays. Pair that with him following her around when she's out at the mall, on a date at the theatre, and you've got more of what is a thriller nowadays vs a comedy.

I guess it’s relevant because it seems everyone and their grandma uptalks now. Including so-called media experts and academics. Like, omg. Gag me with a spoon.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:52 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,182,039 times
Ugh that's painful.

The original at least felt authentic. The club scene was huge then, and Nicolas Cage didn't feel like a poser. The girls didn't come across like costumed 80s re-enactors.

I love Alicia Silverstone, but Frederic Forrest and Colleen Camp as Julie's parents. Amazing!

I could barely make it through the trailer. No way will I make it through the movie.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Ugh that's painful.

The original at least felt authentic. The club scene was huge then, and Nicolas Cage didn't feel like a poser. The girls didn't come across like costumed 80s re-enactors.

I love Alicia Silverstone, but Frederic Forrest and Colleen Camp as Julie's parents. Amazing!

I could barely make it through the trailer. No way will I make it through the movie.
I was living in the Midwest then and remember when the national news broadcasted this unique phenomenon coming out of CA called Valley Girls with their unique way of speaking.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:26 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,653,512 times
No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

NO.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies