Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 03:29 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Rocky goes broke and has to move back to the neighborhood. Enter Tommy Gunn.

I'm the only person I know of that likes this one. Literally I have never met anyone else who liked it.

Does anyone on here?
I saw that in the local theatre. I thought it was great. To me, it seemed like Stallone and his cast had matured on sound effects and climatic scene shots.

A few years before that film, I was also in HS wrestling. There were wrestlers from Oklahoma who acted much like Tommy Gunn did - kind of southern, elitist, and violent but vulnerable at the same time. Gunn is from that part of the country, so his character seemed real to me. The media was trying to explore some claim that he was related to John Wayne.

They had an MMA scene for the fight at the end, so it wasn't traditional boxing. The one harsh fact was the scene showing Rocky's brain damage from a neurologist who advised him to stop boxing. So, the film had realism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 07:54 AM

518 posts, read 401,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caj727 View Post
Rocky Balboa was outstanding. And probably doesn’t get made if not for the atrocity of Rocky 5. Stallone readily admitted it himself and how sad it would have been to end the Rocky series on that note and what a catastrophe Rocky 5 was. And never mind the ridiculous story lines, the acting was awful all-around and the final cut obviously hastily sewn together.

Rocky Balboa, albeit the idea of him coming back in the ring in his 50s and sticking toe-to-toe with a current heavyweight champion is far-fetched, was well-scripted, well-acted, and thoughtful on different levels. It’s one of the very best sports movies all-time and nearly as inspirational as the original Rocky.
What about Creed I or II? Did you like those movies?

Old 10-18-2020, 09:54 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,656 times
I only saw them once but my memory is that Rocky Balboa sucked and Creed I was the worst piece of **** I've ever seen.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:12 AM

1,149 posts, read 451,434 times
Quote:
I only saw them once but my memory is that Rocky Balboa sucked and Creed I was the worst piece of **** I've ever seen.
Wow. On all accounts.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
What about Creed I or II? Did you like those movies?
Creed was excellent. Stallone was at his best. Behind the camera and on camera. Michael Jordan was stellar. Haven’t seen the second Creed. Honestly, I had forgotten there had been a sequel made.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Wow. On all accounts.
Crede is where rocky gets cancer and they really outside his hospital on four wheelers right?

If so, yes, it made me want to vomit.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Crede is where rocky gets cancer and they really outside his hospital on four wheelers right?

If so, yes, it made me want to vomit.
Umm, okay. I don’t know what you found so outlandish about it in the context of a Rocky-related boxing movie.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:58 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
Quote:
But you like Rocky V...

Old 10-19-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Umm, okay. I don’t know what you found so outlandish about it in the context of a Rocky-related boxing movie.
Not outlandish, just dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies