Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 10:04 AM

864 posts, read 790,951 times

Advertisements

T2, Speed, Die Hard, Independence Day, Jurassic Park....all really good

Also Indiana Jones 1 & 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2021, 10:46 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,645,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
True. But I also liked T2, TRUE LIES, ALIENS, and THE ABYSS.
But do you still watch them? I don't. I burned out on T2, and I don't feel an overwhelming need to watch Aliens over and over like some people. No desire to watch True Lies and The Abyss (haven't seen them in decades).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
TI did manage to watch all of AVATAR. Didn't like it. It's FERN GULLY with machine guns.
I watched it once, when it was new in the theater. That was it. No need to repeat.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:14 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,107,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
But do you still watch them? I don't. I burned out on T2, and I don't feel an overwhelming need to watch Aliens over and over like some people. No desire to watch True Lies and The Abyss (haven't seen them in decades).

I watched it once, when it was new in the theater. That was it. No need to repeat.
I suppose it is what we see in them of whether or not we rewatch them and for that, it may not be because they are action flicks but for some other reason.

As a teen, I watched "The Spy Who Loved Me" over and over again. As a young adult, it was "The Wrath of Khan" (what they showed in the theatre, not the pitsy director's cut). There were just elements in the flick that pulled me back.

These days, I have so many movies to watch, 1 a day, I rarely have the time to rewatch one. If I do rewatch, it's the "second showing" for the day. Of those above, certainly T2 and Aliens are possibilities but not so much The Abyss (wrong political message and not enough "De Marco" ) and not that much an attraction to "True Lies"........except for the scene of "Ms. Curtis" hanging from the helicopter. Not so much for what shown on the screen but rather for what the stunt woman who did the scene said....that she wanted to do it nude........

..........it's what we see in the flick, what we take away from it, that holds it dear to us.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:17 AM

22,956 posts, read 28,379,500 times
Quote:
But do you still watch them?
Regularly? No.

Occasionally? Yes. I'll rewatch them once a year or so. When the mood hits me.

Old 10-18-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I suppose it is what we see in them of whether or not we rewatch them and for that, it may not be because they are action flicks but for some other reason.

As a teen, I watched "The Spy Who Loved Me" over and over again. As a young adult, it was "The Wrath of Khan" (what they showed in the theatre, not the pitsy director's cut). There were just elements in the flick that pulled me back.

These days, I have so many movies to watch, 1 a day, I rarely have the time to rewatch one. If I do rewatch, it's the "second showing" for the day. Of those above, certainly T2 and Aliens are possibilities but not so much The Abyss (wrong political message and not enough "De Marco" ) and not that much an attraction to "True Lies"........except for the scene of "Ms. Curtis" hanging from the helicopter. Not so much for what shown on the screen but rather for what the stunt woman who did the scene said....that she wanted to do it nude........

..........it's what we see in the flick, what we take away from it, that holds it dear to us.
The Wrath of Khan has unbelievable staying power. It's one of the best and most quotable SF action films of the last century, and I do regard it as a better film than The Empire Strikes Back (some will probably pass out when they read that).

The problem with TWoK isn't the movie itself, but its direct sequel, which restores the franchise's most beloved character in the most unbelievable way. I'd rather they brought Spock back via time travel or an alternate universe (which is exactly what they did in the most recent movies).

I'd rather watch The Spy Who Loved Me than True Lies, any time. I tired of Cameron's style of filmmaking.

Old 10-18-2021, 12:21 PM

22,956 posts, read 28,379,500 times
Quote:
The Wrath of Khan has unbelievable staying power. It's one of the best and most quotable SF action films of the last century.
Yup. I'm not ashamed to admit I shed a tear in the theater when Spock died.

ST: TWoK remains not only the best Star Trek story ever filmed, it is also the best version of Moby Dick ever filmed. An unmatched classic.

Old 10-18-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Then there is The Junkman
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084184...=nm_ov_bio_lk3
also with action galore......but a movie should have something in the dialogue for otherwise, one might be tempted to go through all the action on fast play.......
"Toby" Halicki! To his credit, he got started fairly young by rolling capital over from his real estate earnings into a production company.

Quote:
.such as with the Andy Sidaris flicks (ie, The Dallas Connection). Even the sleekest, fastest car with the most overblown blonde at the wheel can only go so far.
Sidaris' movies catered to a very specific, surface level demographic: babes in various states of undress, weapons and fast cars — in no specific order. He never deviated from that formula.

Old 10-18-2021, 12:39 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,107,823 times
Quote:
The Wrath of Khan has unbelievable staying power. It's one of the best and most quotable SF action films of the last century, and I do regard it as a better film than The Empire Strikes Back (some will probably pass out when they read that).

The problem with TWoK isn't the movie itself, but its direct sequel, which restores the franchise's most beloved character in the most unbelievable way. I'd rather they brought Spock back via time travel or an alternate universe (which is exactly what they did in the most recent movies).

I'd rather watch The Spy Who Loved Me than True Lies, any time. I tired of Cameron's style of filmmaking.
Well, as I said, it depends on what we take from it.

TESB was my semester (1st undergrad) start up flick for many years, that and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. The Americana in Austin was showing it forever (much to their unfortunate demise). I don't recall what it was that made it my Fall semester start up movie, though. In Buck Rogers, it was when High Flying Buck, still on the drugs, tells Kane why don't they land together and Kane says, no, go ahead, we will be along in a few days. There must have been some element like that in TESB.

As it is, I rewatch TESB more often than TWOK. Maybe the space tactics are better, maybe because one has to like Admiral Pfiet and Captain Needa.......maybe because the TWOK I have in the library is the director's cut......GOD, I HOPE NOT!

As far as TSFS goes, it was okay but........I love the irony when the shields failed on the Enterprise. That is......Scotty: The automation center is overloaded. I didn't expect you to take us into combat, you know!"

Excuse me? Mr. Scott, how long have your been serving with Kirk? You should always expect him to take you into combat!

And where is the Federation getting its photon torpedoes from? They should have split the Bird of prey seam to seam, atomized it with direct hits, not just spun it around........

......but other than that........

In a way, True Lies is a little bit like "In Like Flint", a spy who knows everything perfectly, but another thing is that I have a fantasy around TSWLM.......I don't with True Lies. In the former, I'm Major Catherine Tiffany Cartright, US Army Corps of Engineers...CIA, and a blonde........only to be revealed when Stromberg nets us all in the tanker as Aja Tamara Savannah (all Russian pronounciations) for it wasn't just two nuclear submarines that went missing but also my secret organization's attack boat, submarine Seagull, a super Skipjack design with a fusion reactor system. Nutshell wise.

Of course......a Lotus only holds two people so I don't get to be in all the scenes.

As I said, what we take personally from films.......
Quote:
........Sidaris' movies catered to a very specific, surface level demographic: babes in various states of undress, guns and fast cars — in no specific order. He never deviated from that formula.
Indeed he doesn't.

I got into "Girls, Guns and G-Strings" because I needed to authenticate my copy of Picasso Trigger, but after watching the 3rd one, got my fill and put it on hold for my espionage night. I mean, even The Doll Squad has more to the screen than those flicks.

On a related note of spy vixens playing second fiddle to the male secret agent who saves them, this is one of the things I love about the Matt Helm flick, "The Ambushers". Actress Janice Rule rated it as the worse flick she had ever done but it does have its points in that here was a female secret agent who is put into harm's way at least twice........and saves herself! She works out her own plan to take revenge on the enemy spy master who tortured her and eventually offs him when other plans fail, and does eventually take care of the prize.......with a nod to Dean Martin.

For the 60s, it is a very powerful Woman Power movie.....if one sees that way.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 10-18-2021 at 12:51 PM..

Old 10-18-2021, 01:02 PM

1,711 posts, read 794,223 times
Predator, and Rambo First Blood

Old 10-18-2021, 01:12 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,178,334 times
Plenty out there, blurring sci-fi with "action."

Couple ground-breakers:

The Matrix (1999)
Terminator II (1991)
Aliens (1986)
Predator (1987)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies