Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 03:57 AM

199 posts, read 65,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't know. The whole "Disney Princess" thing is definitely a brand that Disney fosters. https://princess.disney.com/

Nothing wrong with that. Lots of little girls love princesses. I just wish that Disney would occasionally do something different with the trope (make the princess the villain for once?) or even do an occasional non-princess movie. Pixar still does, but Disney seems to be stuck in princess mode. Just look at their most recent releases.

ENCANTO. Another princess movie.
RAYA AND THE LAST DRAGON. Princess movie.
FROZEN II. Princesses movie.
RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET. Hey, a non-princess movie!
MOANA. Princess movie.

So 80% of their most recent releases are princess flicks. I can't believe that isn't on purpose.

So those are not the most recent releases. You're right about some of them but Moana was 2016 and Ralph Breaks the Internet was 2018. Here's a site to help you out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ms_(2020-2029))

But the most recent releases are Encanto, Jungle Cruise, Cruella, Raya and the Last Dragon, Mulan, One and Only Ivan, and Artemis Fowl. I did not include Original Disney+ programming, Pixar or other owned Disney properties.

However, I see what you're saying about Disney princesses which that doesn't bother me necessarily. I have a problem with making everything live action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 05:40 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquacannon View Post
But the most recent releases are Encanto, Jungle Cruise, Cruella, Raya and the Last Dragon, Mulan, One and Only Ivan, and Artemis Fowl.
Fair point because I wasn't clear. I'm talking about their animated releases. So JUNGLE CRUISE and CRUELLA and the MULAN remake and ONE AND ONLY IVAN aren't in the equation. And I confess I hadn't realized ARTEMIS FOWL was a movie. My kids read those books ages ago and liked them.

When it comes to their major animated film releases, the "Disney princess" is still a brand very much fostered by the studio. And again, nothing wrong with that. I just wish they'd occasionally do a little something different with it.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:09 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,651,870 times
I saw this the other day against my better judgement because Lin Manuel's politics has forever poisoned his work for me. I decided to see it anyway with my family because I wanted to support Wilmer Valderrama (who is a huge supporter of our troops), the crew who made the film, the diversity represented, the latin motif, and themes of family and love. It was a beautiful film visually and musically and well written. The only problem I feel is that there wasn't a real dramatic arc. I was waiting for that deeper intense turn of events where you don't know if the characters will get themselves out of the mud and the antagonist to appear and shake things up. It wasn't there. There wasn't an antagonist at all actually. It was a lighter-than-usual film for Disney.

Last edited by allenk893; 12-08-2021 at 10:56 AM..

Old 12-08-2021, 04:23 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
I thought the drama was intense enough. There wasn't a particular villain, no, but the stakes were high.

They gave us a protagonist we could sympathize with, then showed how deeply she cared for her home and her family...then they threatened to take from her that which she loved the most.

There are plenty of good stories that don't do more than that and lack a particular villain. Pixar's "Inside Out," for instance. Most romances and romantic comedies. "To Kill a Mockingbird" didn't have a specific villain, nor did "Twelve Angry Men." Nor did "West Side Story."

Old 12-18-2021, 11:13 PM

3,880 posts, read 1,814,280 times
I took my daughter last night to see Encanto and was really disappointed. The music was unmemorable, the story-line too unrealistic and the nicest character in the film, the whole family shunned.... because he had a vision of their future that nobody liked.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:10 PM

11,662 posts, read 12,759,012 times
I didn't like it. I don't like Lin Emanuel Miranda's music as a composer. It all sounds the same. Even the arrangements sound the same, although I know he is not responsible for the musical arrangements. He can't write decent melodic lines. There are vibrant colors which are appealing and the usual cutesy Disney animals. The plot was weak. It seemed so self-absorbed, my family, my family, my family. What about the villagers? Does their existence depend on the glory of this powerful family?

I think this film was written so that it can be developed into a stage musical like Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Lion King, and all of the others.

Old 12-26-2021, 02:50 AM

199 posts, read 65,184 times
I really liked this movie!! Great music, great characters, and message. I liked that it was about family and trying to bring them together. Personally, I'd give it 4 stars but I could see how some viewers don't resonate with it. My only knock is I wish some characters got more screen time, but seeing as it's Disney animation, that's pretty hard to do with the runtime. My favorite character was Antonio for example and he was really only in the beginning. Likewise, the story acts as if Bruno would be this huge plotline for the movie and he wasn't, so they could've flushed his arc out a bit more.

Overall, it was a fun time and though it was unrealistic I think the morals, soundtracks, and bright colors outweigh everything else. Sometimes you don't need a main villain (Abuela technically is) and this movie focuses on a girl's feelings/placement within her family as well as overcoming obstacles for acceptance and reunion.

Also, I liked this better than Luca & Raya and the Last Dragon

Old 12-26-2021, 02:41 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
Saw this over the holiday. It was okay. Not great. Despite some beautiful animation and great performances from the lead voice actors, two big things kept me from really enjoying it.

One, the music was poorly integrated into the story. In a good musical, the songs advance the plot or develop character. The songs in ENCANTO did neither. In ENCANTO, the story would explain something about the world or the plot or the character, then a song would come along and repeat everything we had just learned. It added nothing. Totally redundant. And the music was not that great. Not one song stuck in my head ten seconds after it ended.

Two, I'm not quite sure what the movie was trying to say. At first I thought the story was saying: A life devoted to serving others only makes you miserable. Live for yourself. It's all about you! And I thought: That's really ugly. But no, they pulled back from that a bit in the last fifteen minutes. Then they had a very weird scene near the end that made me think: Okay, now the story is saying it is the job of good peasants to support their aristocracy in times of need. But no, because nothing else in the entire movie led up to that. The scene literally came out of nowhere for no reason. But then, the ending seemed to say that people are more than what they do. We are valuable just for being us. Okay, that's a nice sentiment with some truth to it, but the first two-thirds of the movie didn't build on it very well.

So ENCANTO is not a bad movie. It's a popcorn flick. Not great. Not terrible. Mediocre.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:41 PM

21,380 posts, read 7,987,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquacannon View Post
I really liked this movie!! Great music, great characters, and message. I liked that it was about family and trying to bring them together. Personally, I'd give it 4 stars but I could see how some viewers don't resonate with it. My only knock is I wish some characters got more screen time, but seeing as it's Disney animation, that's pretty hard to do with the runtime. My favorite character was Antonio for example and he was really only in the beginning. Likewise, the story acts as if Bruno would be this huge plotline for the movie and he wasn't, so they could've flushed his arc out a bit more.

Overall, it was a fun time and though it was unrealistic I think the morals, soundtracks, and bright colors outweigh everything else. Sometimes you don't need a main villain (Abuela technically is) and this movie focuses on a girl's feelings/placement within her family as well as overcoming obstacles for acceptance and reunion.

Also, I liked this better than Luca & Raya and the Last Dragon
Like the princesses issues, Disney does not like portraying male characters as main characters or as good characters.

Princess/females are always good, male characters are foolish, incompetent, dumb, etc.

I cannot remember the last time an animated Disney movie had a positive male main character.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:22 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Saw this over the holiday. It was okay. Not great. Despite some beautiful animation and great performances from the lead voice actors, two big things kept me from really enjoying it.

One, the music was poorly integrated into the story. In a good musical, the songs advance the plot or develop character. The songs in ENCANTO did neither. In ENCANTO, the story would explain something about the world or the plot or the character, then a song would come along and repeat everything we had just learned. It added nothing. Totally redundant. And the music was not that great. Not one song stuck in my head ten seconds after it ended.

Two, I'm not quite sure what the movie was trying to say. At first I thought the story was saying: A life devoted to serving others only makes you miserable. Live for yourself. It's all about you! And I thought: That's really ugly. But no, they pulled back from that a bit in the last fifteen minutes. Then they had a very weird scene near the end that made me think: Okay, now the story is saying it is the job of good peasants to support their aristocracy in times of need. But no, because nothing else in the entire movie led up to that. The scene literally came out of nowhere for no reason. But then, the ending seemed to say that people are more than what they do. We are valuable just for being us. Okay, that's a nice sentiment with some truth to it, but the first two-thirds of the movie didn't build on it very well.

So ENCANTO is not a bad movie. It's a popcorn flick. Not great. Not terrible. Mediocre.
I don't believe there is a particular generalized human message intended to be gotten from it. It's a story about those particular characters. A lot of Disney animations are nothing more than stories about those particular characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies