Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 09:01 PM

37,313 posts, read 59,984,996 times

Advertisements

Haven’t read the book but my daughter’s book club did. She flew to Dallas this weekend to see the movie with her friends (she lives in FL) for girls’ weekend
I found an article about the author of the book that suggested she very possibly was involved in the murder of poacher in Africa earlier in her life—and asked my daughter if she knew about that—
She hadn’t paid too much attention to it
And apparently there is something similar in the book although that is set in the US

And that is one reason the author was not making any tours related to book or movie—
And CoVid is still around and she is over 65 I think so maybe more vulnerable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 07:38 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,717,604 times
My wife and I saw the movie a few days ago and really enjoyed it. Saw the previews at a pervious movie and it looked interesting.

Noticed the critics rated it very low....34% I believe....but I've learned to basically ignore the "professional" critics when making my movie choices. Actual audience reviews, by normal people, rated it at 96%.

I think the critics are looking for more edgy social justice stuff....NOT what I go to a movie for.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:14 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,984,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
My wife and I saw the movie a few days ago and really enjoyed it. Saw the previews at a pervious movie and it looked interesting.

Noticed the critics rated it very low....34% I believe....but I've learned to basically ignore the "professional" critics when making my movie choices. Actual audience reviews, by normal people, rated it at 96%.

I think the critics are looking for more edgy social justice stuff....NOT what I go to a movie for.
I think part of the critical response is tied to what they view as illegal/immoral act the writer was part of in Africa and her use of a similar event in her book
They think she compromised her artistic integrity and don’t want to see her rewarded so give negative reviews

But haven’t read book or seen movie
Just my take after reading couple of articles about the author

Old 07-25-2022, 10:31 AM

187 posts, read 115,819 times
Girlfriend read the book and made me go with her to see the movie. It wasn't necessarily bad but what I found so far-fetched was her entire family just leaving her without ever coming back to check on her. Seriously? Even though her brother finally did come back, why in the world did you wait so long to attempt contact?

These kids were also really young just leaving home like they did. Where in the hell did they go at such a young age? Why didn't any of them bring their sister with them?

Also not a single actor had a southern accent nor even attempted to fake one. If they did I didn't hear it and I grew up and currently live in NC. There might of been a southern phrase here and there but that was about it. "Marsh-girl" and her two love interests were practically super models which I found really bizarre. Also the two guys looked almost identical to me and at first I thought they were the same actor.

Idk I guess I just find romantic movies to be way over-the-top at times but I guess that's why people love them. I'm not a romantic movie guy but I did enjoy the notebook and think it is the better movie of the two.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler5874 View Post
Girlfriend read the book and made me go with her to see the movie. It wasn't necessarily bad but what I found so far-fetched was her entire family just leaving her without ever coming back to check on her. Seriously? Even though her brother finally did come back, why in the world did you wait so long to attempt contact?

These kids were also really young just leaving home like they did. Where in the hell did they go at such a young age? Why didn't any of them bring their sister with them?

Also not a single actor had a southern accent nor even attempted to fake one. If they did I didn't hear it and I grew up and currently live in NC. There might of been a southern phrase here and there but that was about it. "Marsh-girl" and her two love interests were practically super models which I found really bizarre. Also the two guys looked almost identical to me and at first I thought they were the same actor.

Idk I guess I just find romantic movies to be way over-the-top at times but I guess that's why people love them. I'm not a romantic movie guy but I did enjoy the notebook and think it is the better movie of the two.
The thing I found hardest to believe is how clean everyone always was.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:42 PM

6,886 posts, read 11,265,148 times
Smile I dragged my husband to see this....

Did not read the book.

Both of us really enjoyed the movie.

He's a Taylor Swift fan; I am a Reese Witherspoon fan.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:48 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,361,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The book was really good. Newsflash, by the way - the author of the book was just brought in for questioning regarding a murder that took place in Africa about thirty years ago!
I enjoyed the book and the ending was quite unexpected. However, thinking back on it now, I should have expected it. I will say no more.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I enjoyed the book and the ending was quite unexpected. However, thinking back on it now, I should have expected it. I will say no more.
\

I felt the same way!

Old 11-20-2022, 04:29 PM

21,495 posts, read 10,615,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ok so I went with my movie buff friend to the matinee to see this today. I thought it was very well done. It stuck closely to the book, which I liked (I read the book too). It seemed to drag a little but in a part or two but there was a lot to unpack in the story line so I felt like it was warranted. It is definitely more of a chick flick than a Marvel franchise movie, but I was surprised to see that the theater was full and nearly half the audience were men. This was at 1 pm. I think it doesn't hurt that 1) the book was popular and 2) it's over 100 degrees and sunny sunny sunny (and still still still) in NE Texas.

It was terrific to go into a cool, dark theater and watch a good movie!

I saw a few familiar actors but it wasn't star studded to my knowledge.

Reese Witherspoon is one of the producers. Taylor Swift wrote and performed the theme song. The person who wrote the screen play also wrote the screenplay for Beasts of the Southern Wild, which I liked a lot as well.

Not a FABULOUS movie in my opinion, but a solid one. Worth watching. Your thoughts?
I saw this on Netflix, and of course read the book a couple of years ago. I thought the movie was very good. The cinematography was stunning. If they aren’t at least nominated for cinematography then the Oscars are stupid. It was a beautiful movie. I hope more people see it.

Old 11-20-2022, 04:33 PM

21,495 posts, read 10,615,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The ending was exactly the same as the book ending. It did not disappoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies