Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 10:47 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's another complex story. And down here in Texas I know some "Tejanos"--Mexicans whose families were here when the land was still Mexico--and they have a whole different story.
Ditto. A member of my family married a *Spanish man who can trace his family back 300 years in what is now New Mexico. When the bride's mom (meaning well but coming across as more than a little racist) asked him, "What sort of Mexican are you?" He replied, "The kind that's been here 300 years longer than you." He said it with a smile, but it was a great point.

It's why in the Southwest when I run into white folks complaining of immigrants and saying, "They need to go back where they came from," the proper reply is, "Okay. Would you like me to help you pack?"

*NOTE: Where I grew up, people whose heritage was from Mexico called themselves "Mexican." But people who spoke Spanish and whose ancestry had been in the area for centuries usually referred to themselves as "Spanish." Why? I honestly don't know. Someone should write a paper on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2024, 08:21 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Ditto. A member of my family married a *Spanish man who can trace his family back 300 years in what is now New Mexico. When the bride's mom (meaning well but coming across as more than a little racist) asked him, "What sort of Mexican are you?" He replied, "The kind that's been here 300 years longer than you." He said it with a smile, but it was a great point.

It's why in the Southwest when I run into white folks complaining of immigrants and saying, "They need to go back where they came from," the proper reply is, "Okay. Would you like me to help you pack?"

*NOTE: Where I grew up, people whose heritage was from Mexico called themselves "Mexican." But people who spoke Spanish and whose ancestry had been in the area for centuries usually referred to themselves as "Spanish." Why? I honestly don't know. Someone should write a paper on that.

In a movie about race relations. Perhaps although the Spanish and Portuguese Europeans mixed with the indigenous population and acknowledged their children as their own more so than Anglo colonist breeding slaves there remains the class distinctions. Spanish being from Spain, with that culture intact but in Mexico , no matter how many generations have passed or how much of the Native Americans DNA got mixed in

Old 03-24-2024, 01:55 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

In a movie about race relations. Perhaps although the Spanish and Portuguese Europeans mixed with the indigenous population and acknowledged their children as their own more so than Anglo colonist breeding slaves there remains the class distinctions. Spanish being from Spain, with that culture intact but in Mexico , no matter how many generations have passed or how much of the Native Americans DNA got mixed in
There was a smattering of white slave owners who did, to some extent, accept their mixed children as their own. Society being as it was, those slave owners would send those children away, generally to the north for education and new lives, but continue to provide financial support. That's part of the history of a few HBCUs.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:43 PM

5,102 posts, read 2,047,097 times
That movie is dumped from theaters from what I saw on that vlog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSTNhuhL7kw

We could said it menaged to outdone Ghostbusters 2016.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
That movie is dumped from theaters from what I saw on that vlog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSTNhuhL7kw

We could said it menaged to outdone Ghostbusters 2016.
Actually, "The average theatrical window for films released from May through June will end up more than 40 days — a significant increase compared to January-April, when the theatrical window fell to an average of 30 days." For a relatively low budget film, this doesn't seem that unusual.

And by the way, "Audiences polled by PostTrak gave the film a 70% overall positive score, with 51% saying they would definitely recommend it."

Old 04-10-2024, 10:50 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,227,253 times
What a bomb!

$2.4Million after 3 weeks

28% approval on Rotten Tomatoes

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/202...and-24m-intake

Old 04-10-2024, 06:26 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Actually, "The average theatrical window for films released from May through June will end up more than 40 days — a significant increase compared to January-April, when the theatrical window fell to an average of 30 days." For a relatively low budget film, this doesn't seem that unusual.

And by the way, "Audiences polled by PostTrak gave the film a 70% overall positive score, with 51% saying they would definitely recommend it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
What a bomb!

$2.4Million after 3 weeks

28% approval on Rotten Tomatoes

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/202...and-24m-intake
Clearly they found their audience...it's just a lot smaller than they probably hoped.

Old 04-11-2024, 11:43 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Clearly they found their audience...it's just a lot smaller than they probably hoped.
I haven't seen it yet...just gonna wait for streaming. But my impression from what I've read is that a lot of people just don't "get" the film. I can understand that. There are movies I watch and occasionally will walk away thinking, literally, "I just don't get it". And it would seem to me that this film is very likely one that a lot of people just don't get. And I think you're right...their audience was probably a lot small than they thought it would be. Maybe it should have been a Netflix (or similar) limited series, rather than a movie theater type release.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies