Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2024, 07:33 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,204,657 times

Advertisements

Amidst such poor reviews we decided to watch Unfrosted last night and while it was a bit corny and definitely silly we enjoyed it. The movie was during the timeframe of my childhood so it was fun to see the relatable references of that time period that were shown in a sort of Forrest Gump sort of way and the cameo appearances were also a treat.

It used to be the movies like it’s a Mad, Mad, World and others like it that were silly and corny entertained movie goers but I guess with animation and special effects now plain old silly or corny movies just don’t cut it.

Again I am a Seinfeld nut and Unfrosted takes place during my childhood so I enjoyed the content, but be warned it is definitely both silly and corny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 04:16 PM

28,715 posts, read 18,900,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Amidst such poor reviews we decided to watch Unfrosted last night and while it was a bit corny and definitely silly we enjoyed it. The movie was during the timeframe of my childhood so it was fun to see the relatable references of that time period that were shown in a sort of Forrest Gump sort of way and the cameo appearances were also a treat.

It used to be the movies like it’s a Mad, Mad, World and others like it that were silly and corny entertained movie goers but I guess with animation and special effects now plain old silly or corny movies just don’t cut it.

Again I am a Seinfeld nut and Unfrosted takes place during my childhood so I enjoyed the content, but be warned it is definitely both silly and corny.
It's definitely aimed at Boomers and XGen...a bit more at Boomers because we can remember live mascots.

It's a totally silly movie, slightly satirical. I wonder how they got trademark approval. Is that they parody is significant enough to give them such broad "fair use"...or is "any publicity is good publicity" that strong an incentive for the cereal makers?

It was kind of fun to see how many ways they could poke holes in the cereal companies...but an intelligent movie it certain is not. Is it better than "The Kentucky Fried Movie?" I'd say it is.

The cameos and impersonations were fun, especially the brief tie-in to very popular television series about big business in the 1960s.

It's really kind of a very, very long SNL skit, including actors who would be in such skits.

Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM

5,021 posts, read 10,735,263 times
I enjoyed it. I think that some of it was clever (like using the Space Race to parody a competition to produce a non-cereal breakfast option) and that some of the performances (like Bill Burr’s cameo as JFK) were excellent. Amy Schumer and Melissa McCarthy were wasted: you could tell that this film was written by and for male comedians.

I actually think it would have been better if Seinfeld had directed but not starred in the film; he just isn’t a good actor, and his brand of comedy is no longer relevant.

Old Today, 05:55 AM

22,957 posts, read 28,383,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I actually think it would have been better if Seinfeld had directed but not starred in the film; he just isn’t a good actor, and his brand of comedy is no longer relevant.
I don't disagree. Jerry Seinfeld is really good and really talented at one thing: Being Jerry Seinfeld. But that is about the limit of his range.

Old Today, 07:32 PM

5,021 posts, read 10,735,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't disagree. Jerry Seinfeld is really good and really talented at one thing: Being Jerry Seinfeld. But that is about the limit of his range.
I agree. I’ve tried to watch a couple of his specials recently and found that I was bored and tired of his schtick. I find that he rarely discusses current events in his stand-up—it’s this sort of benign, generic, vanilla humor that just isn’t current. So, no surprise that he made a corny, silly film that is set in the 1960’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies