Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Saw Soylent Green on DVD last night. I had seen it when it originally came out. The movie (starring Charton Heston, Leigh-Taylor Young, Edward G Robinson, Chuck Connors) was released in 1973 and takes place in 2022. If you lived through the 70s, or studied it, or even saw your parents photos, you probably think like I do --- that it was one of the most cringeworthy decades for fashion and hair. So it is with great sadness that I announce to you that in 2022, white men will be walking around in John Lennon caps and neckerchiefs and something similar to polyester leisure suits and black men will have large sideburns and afros you could pitch a tent in.

The cars will be strangely familiar...but only if you had one or look at history books and station wagons. Thankfully, one of the characters chose to die with the safe choice of classical music playing and did not pick something funky or I could tell you what the music will be like. Everyone will ride stationary bikes but not because of Obamacare but because they have to pedal fast to generate electricity for their single lightbulb. New York City will have 40 million people, the cops will be on the take, you will have roommates or you will be sleeping on stairways. Rich men will live in hooker apartment complexes meaning "the girl" comes with the apartment. And it looks like there is hope for religion, yet, but mostly the church as a place to sleep or confess. In an obvious choice to go retro, in 2022, computer games will be blue screen games with white chompers and only really rich people will have one.

Oh yeah, and the vegetarians will eventually have their way...sort of. There won't be any meat, but the government handout will be something called soylent (you knew that soy stuff would get you eventually) green...which is actually dead people in the form of green crackers or as I like to call it, the environmentalist's ultimate going green.

My question: What OLD movies have you seen fairly recently about what is now our near future where they either got the "future" really wrong or pretty much right?

Last edited by LauraC; 07-18-2010 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 03:44 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
According to the Planet of the Apes films, a plague was supposed to have wiped out all cats and dogs many years ago, and I should have my own personal servant chimpanzee right now. I feel so cheated!

Old 07-19-2010, 03:44 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Westworld. I watched it a month or so ago for the first time and really liked it, along with it's cheesy 70's vibe.

Then I played "Red Dead Redemption" right after. I couldn't help but wonder why 70's folks couldn't see that computer virtual reality is so much easier, safer and profitable to pull off than a computer run robotic "virtual" reality, and therefore more probable in the future.

Sadly, there is no robotic sex on Xbox, however. Or maybe I'm just playing the wrong games...

Old 07-20-2010, 12:32 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,324,826 times
2001: A Space Odyssey. Released in 1968.As measured and bleak as the technology seemed at the time, it was a work of strange optimism. The movie nailed the feel of space travel, and its eventual commercialization, in a way that still resonates today.2001's prediction that one day flying to an orbital space station would require zero training or preperation is gradually coming true.Artificial Intelligence however has been a major disappointment.Until more efficient propulsion systems can be developed, none of the spaceward jaunts in the film are possible.Also videophones are not in high demand now and probably never will be.If getting to the fourth rock from the sun seems like the biggest challange of the century imagine planning a trip to Jupiter.
Hal says I am putting myself to the fullest possible use,which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:04 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Saw Soylent Green on DVD last night. I had seen it when it originally came out. The movie (starring Charton Heston, Leigh-Taylor Young, Edward G Robinson, Chuck Connors) was released in 1973 and takes place in 2022. If you lived through the 70s, or studied it, or even saw your parents photos, you probably think like I do --- that it was one of the most cringeworthy decades for fashion and hair. So it is with great sadness that I announce to you that in 2022, white men will be walking around in John Lennon caps and neckerchiefs and something similar to polyester leisure suits and black men will have large sideburns and afros you could pitch a tent in.

The cars will be strangely familiar...but only if you had one or look at history books and station wagons. Thankfully, one of the characters chose to die with the safe choice of classical music playing and did not pick something funky or I could tell you what the music will be like. Everyone will ride stationary bikes but not because of Obamacare but because they have to pedal fast to generate electricity for their single lightbulb. New York City will have 40 million people, the cops will be on the take, you will have roommates or you will be sleeping on stairways. Rich men will live in hooker apartment complexes meaning "the girl" comes with the apartment. And it looks like there is hope for religion, yet, but mostly the church as a place to sleep or confess. In an obvious choice to go retro, in 2022, computer games will be blue screen games with white chompers and only really rich people will have one.

Oh yeah, and the vegetarians will eventually have their way...sort of. There won't be any meat, but the government handout will be something called soylent (you knew that soy stuff would get you eventually) green...which is actually dead people in the form of green crackers or as I like to call it, the environmentalist's ultimate going green.

My question: What OLD movies have you seen fairly recently about what is now our near future where they either got the "future" really wrong or pretty much right?

You're a funny woman...This is this second post of yours this week that I read and laughed while reading it

Old 07-20-2010, 12:39 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
"Back to the Future II" (1989) is set in 2015 and it predicted rehydrating ovens that can cook a tiny pizza into a full size pizza in 5 seconds, videoconferencing, full length motion pictures in 3D, hoverboards, flying cars, freeways in the sky, leashes that can walk a dog by itself, television you can wear over your eyes like eyeglasses, a weather service that can actually control weather not just predict it, and Miami winning the World Series.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:52 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

YouTube - Things To Come Trailer (1936)

YouTube - Metropolis (restoration trailer) (1927)

I love METROPOLIS but I think it was a wee bit off.....optimistic though.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:05 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
"1984". The British black and white movie released in 1955. Featuring Edmund O'Brien as Winston Smith. This movie stuck to the original Orwell novel.
Oddly enough, this movie is not available anywhere neither video nor DVD. Someone bought the copyright and buried the movie. Heaven forbid that anyone would see it today, there are too many parallels. Unlike most movies about the future this one does not deal with futuristic gimmicks, but with the political and social situation.
If anyone saw this version, consider yourselves lucky.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

YouTube - 1984 by George Orwell / Nineteen Eighty-Four / Film Movie

Old 07-21-2010, 08:35 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
Sleeper: the Orgasmatron does not yet exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies