Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:19 AM

956 posts, read 3,002,675 times

Advertisements

I heard that it's a very violent film and that I should not see it, so naturally I had to see it. It's actually not too particularly violent. Not a bad film. Not the best I've ever seen, but certainly more entertaining than most mainstream cheesoids Hollywood is vomiting out these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 02:53 AM

161 posts, read 370,663 times
true... they don't make 'em like they used to...
Hell, Tarantino doesn't even make 'em like he used to...

Old 12-01-2008, 04:27 AM

465 posts, read 1,417,870 times
I remember resorvoir dogs being pretty violent. Maybe you just heard about it so much that theres no way it could have lived up to the hype for you.
It's definately worth seeing at least once though.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
I heard that it's a very violent film and that I should not see it, so naturally I had to see it. It's actually not too particularly violent. Not a bad film. Not the best I've ever seen, but certainly more entertaining than most mainstream cheesoids Hollywood is vomiting out these days.
I didnt think that it was overly violent. Considering the subject matter and plot of the film, they could have really taken the violence to another level but they didnt. The dialog in that film is fantastic. Utterly fantastic. Many cinema schools in the universities study that because it was so expertly written.

The scene at the coffee shop was outstanding. Nothing but conversation but it was classic.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:55 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Violent, yes. Good but not great movie. Tarantino was still learning when he made it, and it shows.

Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown are GREAT movies. Classics. Kill Bill, Vol. 1 is really good. Vol. 2 achieved greatness.

I'd be very curious to see what his work would be like if he'd lay off the drugs and booze.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:10 PM

The casting was done particularly well too. The leader of the gang (Joe?), the psychotic Mr. Blonde, the straight man Mr. White, the cynical Mr. Pink, all well cast -- I guess the casting director was more interested in getting it right rather than trying to shoehorn a big Hollywood name into it and getting the Ben Affleck effect.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:07 AM

221 posts, read 519,815 times
Quote:
The casting was done particularly well too. The leader of the gang (Joe?), the psychotic Mr. Blonde, the straight man Mr. White, the cynical Mr. Pink, all well cast -- I guess the casting director was more interested in getting it right rather than trying to shoehorn a big Hollywood name into it and getting the Ben Affleck effect.
Casting is one of the best aspects of Tarantino's films. Instead of going for the most obvious typecasting or whoever is more popular, Tarantino nearly always gets whoever is right for the part. An exception to this would be casting himself in different roles. Tarantino is a horrible actor. At least he makes up for it with his writing and directing.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:27 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Wow, if that brutal scene with the cop isn't "particularly violent", then you've been watching too many "Saw" movies !!

Very good movie. I'd rank it well ahead of Jackie Brown, and just a smidge behind Pulp Fiction.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Wow, if that brutal scene with the cop isn't "particularly violent", then you've been watching too many "Saw" movies !!

Very good movie. I'd rank it well ahead of Jackie Brown, and just a smidge behind Pulp Fiction.
Well, in the version I saw, the camera pans away to the left when the cop's ear is cut off. You only see it afterward, when Mr. Blonde is talking into it. Is that what you saw too?

Old 12-02-2008, 11:01 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,702,727 times
Kill Bill 1&2 and Pulp Fiction I think are his best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies