Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times

Advertisements

I recently posted about a scene from "Nashville" in the "most disturbing movies" thread, and thought I might start a thread on the movie here. I think I'm going to try to start some threads that are specific to a movie, instead of the "which movie....?" type.

I first saw Nashville during its original run and I enjoyed it immensely. Typical of Altman that it had some big names, some that would become big and some that should have but didn't. There was a bit of controversy about the movie at the time because of the question, "why did he shoot the singer?", when, as Altman pointed out the bigger question is, "why shoot anyone?".

I had always liked Lilly Tomlin but really fell in love with her (despite her character's flaws) in "Nashville". I guess really I mean I fell in lust with her physical appearance. Conversely I never cared for Shelly Duval or Geraldine Chaplin either before or after this movie.

I don't think it was the first, but probably pretty close to the first movie for both Scott Glenn and Jeff Goldblum.

The two things that always stuck with me (besides watching Lilly while David Carradine sings-just beautiful) are the scene that I discussed in the other thread about Ronee Blakely having the complete mental breakdown when trying to sing at a county fair, and the fact that I would like to return to the time referred to by "Hal Phillip Walker" ("replacement party) candidate for President asked about, "when Christmas smelled like oranges".

Great movie.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 09:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Golfgod, I already felt like you were a simpatico guy.
But now you post about one of my all-time favorite movies!
I've *always* loved Nashville, from the first time I saw it when I was all of 18 years old. Altman was a real maverick director--he went his own way, followed his own vision. I loved the tapestries he wove.
I sort of grew up with Nashville. The first aspect I remember really enjoying was Keith Carradine, singing "I'm Easy."
Every time I watch it, it seems as though some other layer is revealed to me; some new little quirk shows up, or another telling line is spoken.
I loved Henry Gibson's smarmy character, Haven Hamilton.
And yes, both Scott Glenn and Jeff Goldblum are very young indeed.
It don't worry me
It don't worry me...

Old 12-08-2008, 10:14 AM

Haven; "Y'all take it easy now, This isn't Dallas, this is Nashville! They can't do this to us here in Nashville! Let's show them what we're made of. Come on everybody, sing! Somebody sing!"

Joan Tewkesbury (writer) doesn't have a lot of writing credits to her name, but she sure could forsee the 2008 election in that line; "we love America here in the red states", could have been taken from "Nashville".

BWP, I know what you mean about peeling away another layer each time you watch it. A lot of Altman's work, "M*A*S*H" particularly is like that. I guess "Nashville", "M*A*S*H" and "Gosford Park' are his biggest commercial hits, but "McCabe and Mrs. Miller", "California Split" and "The Long Goodbye" are all worth a look.

golfgod

Old 12-08-2008, 12:55 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Haven; "Y'all take it easy now, This isn't Dallas, this is Nashville! They can't do this to us here in Nashville! Let's show them what we're made of. Come on everybody, sing! Somebody sing!"
That was golden.
Quote:
but "McCabe and Mrs. Miller", "California Split" and "The Long Goodbye" are all worth a look.
I turned my sons on to The Long Goodbye while they were here; they've seen McCabe and Mrs. Miller too, which has had a bit of a renaissance among the younger generation.
I need to get them to see California Split.
We're big Elliot Gould fans.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I just watched "Nashvile" for the first time a couple of months ago. The thing that struck me about it was that the funniest actor in the cast (Lily Tomlin) played the 'straight man", the part of the only character who was not at least eccentric if not deranged. The picture was a little bit too off-the-wall for me, and Tomlin was the only character in the film that I would have liked to have known personally.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:07 AM

Well jtur, all I can say is, let it kind of cook in the background of your mind for 6 months to a year and then watch it again. As BWP said, each time you watch it more and more layers reveal themselves.

You're right about Lilly Tomlin, the only sane one in the movie. Definitely one of the most talented actresses/comediennes/live peroformers of my generation. I don't know if she still performs it or not (she'll be 70 next year), but if you ever get a chance to see "In Search Of Signs Of Intelligent Life In The Universe", LIVE it is worth the price of admission. I've never seen the movie but the physicality of the one woman show is amazing. I saw it live in '01, so she would have been 62, I don't think I could do that work out!

"The Late Show" is another good movie of hers. Since I was a huge Art Carney fan since the days of "The Honeymooners". Other than that her only memorable movie role (to me) was "Nine To Five".

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies