Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:22 PM

37,659 posts, read 46,099,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Danny Boyle can now justifiably be called a master storyteller in my opinion.
See this movie!
I did!!! It was just incredible! What an enlightening, fascinating, feel-good movie. I don't know when I have seen one that I enjoyed this much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:53 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,184,849 times
I thought the movie was fantastic. I really liked it.

It really was very thought provoking, which added to its appeal to me. I was just sitting there stupified and very on the edge of my seat. I hadn't read any reviews or spoilers, I just had heard good word of mouth and wanted to check it out. I am glad I did.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,753,546 times
Slumdog millionnaire, eh?

Perhaps their dirty poverty is worth some forgiveness and respect, people.
For Claudian-civilized barbarians can grow a few centuries old, bugger with the Franks, the mehmets and the Pope, say, Henry Huit wanting to shag every wench outside westminster abbey, issue an illustrious daughter to float merchants across the world map, set east india companies up, indulge in extortion, perpetrate holocausts, loot slumdog money all the way back to missus-brown-land, bulk-financing an empire whose sun finally set behind Roosevelt's armchair.

Someday the stovetop sooters will have to settle for a truce:

"Hola teapot, bugger me, the kettle, thou art as black as me."

"I'm gonna level with you, bro, call me barbarian billionnaire"

"Awesome, can I get the kohinoor diamond back?"

"My language back, first!"

"Truce!"

"Truce!"

Old 01-27-2009, 08:18 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,474,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
OK here goes...
Your review hardly focused on the film itself at all. You did point out a few technical issues that you saw as flawed and I think that you made some possibly valid points, albeit ones that did not detract from the film very much and you didn't go into any detail in them (i.e. this was horrible, that could have been done better, etc.). Finally, you ended your review with an off-topic political statement.
I suggest leaving the film reviews to those who actually care about films. Rant about politics in a different forum.
Say what you want, but my review had more substance than any of the gibberish that was posted in this thread before my original post. It still stands that this was a slightly above average film with numerous plot-holes. I'll admit the movie was visually brilliant and that the child actors were amazing, but there's just to many things a discerning eye can pick apart about this movie.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:50 PM

71 posts, read 208,492 times
Agreed with the overrated camp. Enjoyable and a few interesting themes, but most of its pleasures were found in its visuals and editing, which were amazing. Also, extremely good child acting. However, it just didn't do enough intellectually to really get me. It did get at the emotions pretty effectively, and like I said, it was gloriously imagined. However, between this, Benjamin Button, and Frost/Nixon in the best picture category (and I did enjoy them all), I am totally convinced The Dark Knight and Wall-E both got snubbed by the Oscars. The year's best films belonged to the summer, IMO.

But, I certainly do recommend this film. Just temper expectations.

EDIT: Ha, sorry Tyler Jax. Didn't mean to pretty much repeat you verbatim. Should read the threads!

Old 01-28-2009, 04:52 PM

71 posts, read 208,492 times
What did everybody get out of the film thematically, BTW? To me, the strongest message and source of tension was the idea that globalization doesn't allow for interaction between impoverished and the capacity for knowledge. There was also definitely something going on with luck/chance/destiny that I haven't totally gotten at yet.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:49 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,474,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Spoiler alert ...

I wasn't surprised at the poverty as much so I was disturbed by the intolerance towards slum dwellers. The whole police interrogation scene was bizarre. If that happened in most other countries, there'd be an outcry. In the movie, if it's the way it really is there, it was as if, ho hum, that's what happens if you're one of them. You must be a cheat, a liar, scum, if you're one of them. Which explained why he didn't pick B. From his life experiences, he knew people were pr***s and not to trust anybody. Sad.

I really liked the movie.
The Mumbai police, despite being corrupt, are actually a lot more professional in reality(they don't make random death threats or torture folks). The film did accurately display the dissonance b/w the haves and have nots in Indian society. Most Westerners couldn't ever dream of fully understanding the dynamics of Indian society, so I won't bother delving into it.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:27 PM

26,238 posts, read 49,123,150 times
I loved the movie for it telling a story in such a fascinating way.

Having grown up poor, the deeper meaning for me is that we must have a lot more birth control in this world. Without huge teeming masses of hungry people, the scrap heap of human labor will dry up, at which time working will pay a living wage and provide a life of basic dignity. I'm 60, and will not see this in my lifetime, but I'm hopeful.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,542 times
Glad to see a few of you enjoyed this movie as much as me. Unfortunately I have to respectfully disagree with the overrated camp because this is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. At [url]www.movieset.com[/url], they've covered the film's production from development to distribution and think it's cool to see an arty movie get so much attention. Visit the sitelet for behind the scenes interviews with director Danny Boyle, and actors Dev Patel, Freida Pinto, screenwriter Simon Beaufoy and producer Christian Colson. Check out our on set footage of the cast and crew as they shoot the film including some B-roll footage i have never seen before. We also have production stills and all the latest news items from the show at [url]www.movieset.com[/url]

Old 02-07-2009, 01:32 PM

181 posts, read 599,049 times
this movie was so unique and i had never seen anything like it.. The sequence of events, storyline, plot, ending... Overall it was such a good movie, without a doubt one of the best movies i have ever seen. It really kept me on the edge of my seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies