Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:45 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Another officer tried to order us to do something that would severely damage the ship's engines. We all refused to obey his order. He threatened to bring us up on charges but we still refused to obey his order.
That's just smart seamanship in my book!

Thanks for the stories; I find them enlightening. The regular enlisted man just doesn't get enough respect, but without him the whole military would grind to a halt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 05:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I spend a lot of time wearing binoculars, for birdwatching. It is impossible to see anything in binoculars if you hold them in one hand.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:05 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Also, am a tech/IT guy by trade. I see so much wrong in movies I can't keep track, lol. Most of it can be put off to entertainment but some of it is so bad it ruins my ability to enjoy the movie.
I've been in IT since 1982.
  • Vast boards with blinking lights went out in about 1975. Ditto the round reel drives - we switched to cartridges around 1988, followed by robotic tape mounts.
  • Nowadays, everything is encased in blank mental boxes. It's hard to differentiate between the mainframe and disk storage.
  • The people. *sheesh* Not dweebs with horn rim glasses and pocket protectors, and not intense super brainoids. Walk into the average data center and you'll see regular schmoes dressed in Dockers and casual clothes. Us night shifters (who actually oversee the major amount of processing) will be really dressed down - jeans and sweatshirts.
At one data center an advertising flyer was to be created, touting our services. We regular people were shooed out of the room, our stations were then staffed with agency models. Now, they did look the part: chiseled features, designer glasses, pressed suits and shiny shoes - they stared intently into the screens like they were counting down to a missile liftoff. We were standing in the background hissing and catcalling as the pictures were being taken until a manager came around and told us to scram until the photo shoot was done

Old 05-09-2009, 05:49 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Just a couple of general points-

Why are cars always absolutely clean?

Why can't they set a chessboard up correctly?

I'm at a Stately Home where they filmed The Young Victoria last year.

Historical inaccuracies abound, but that is mainly artistic licence.

One blooper was to have a Rennie Mackintosh cushion in one of the shots. He was born in the 1860s and the film was set around 1837. Just a small point.

However they also filmed part of Barry Lyndon there back in the 1970s, the director being Stanley Kubrick.

There is one scene where, if you look closely, there is a car in the background. Interesting as it's set in the 18th Century.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I've always lived in a house with real people living in it. Not like movie set kitchens, where the dining table and all counter tops are cleared off and all the dishes are washed and none left to dry in the drainage rack and there no pots and pans on the stove top. The only kitchen faux pas that ever occurs is somebody drinks milk right out of the carton.

Oh, have you ever noticed that every movie has a funeral scene in it?

And the driver drives the whole way looking at the passenger he is talking to, with only occasional glances out the windshield.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:31 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've always lived in a house with real people living in it. Not like movie set kitchens, where the dining table and all counter tops are cleared off and all the dishes are washed and none left to dry in the drainage rack and there no pots and pans on the stove top. The only kitchen faux pas that ever occurs is somebody drinks milk right out of the carton.
One of my friend's houses was always very clean and orderly, and it always reminded me of a movie set. The kitchen was pristine and no dishes were ever seen on the counter or in the sink or drainage rack. I always found it weird.

Also, for now, I only work in retail. But if I tried to get away with a portion of the things retail workers in the movies do or say I'd probably be fired in a heartbeat, and my boss is pretty laid back and lets us get away with a lot of stuff we shouldn't do as it is.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:42 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
I'm a part time computer geek/graphics engineer. I always laugh in movies when they take a digital image that his horribly low resolution (grainy) and 'enhance' it to crystal clear quality. You can't 'enhance' information that doesn't exist.

Also, having been raised by a geologist, the physical and earth science in movies can be laughingly bad. At some point you have to say "it's just a movie" or you won't be able to enjoy the flick.

How come whenever someone uses a computer in the movies, they are always expert typists and never have to delete or retype any letters? Their "google search" always hits on the first try.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:44 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I don´t know of any movies about railroad workers.
How about "Emperor of the North" with Earnest Borgnine and Lee Marvin?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:57 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
They don't make many movies about non-profit fundraisers, but in another life I was a newspaper reporter and movies and TV shows are loaded with exaggerations. A few films do a good job of depicting journalists' day-to-day jobs, but journalists in non-journalism movies are usually depicted as National Enquirer barking stereotypes.

I think only once or twice in my career did I phyiscally chase after a news source ... in heels.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puru View Post
One of my friend's houses was always very clean and orderly, and it always reminded me of a movie set. The kitchen was pristine and no dishes were ever seen on the counter or in the sink or drainage rack. I always found it weird.
My mom's house is like that -- looks like nobody lives in it. It's a Norwegian thing, most of 'em keep house like that!!

[eyeing biology experiments in my kitchen] It's obvious that I'm only half Norwegian.

People with money who can afford live-in maids also have houses like that, tho... I worked in Hollyweird for several years and sometimes on location in some fancy house. They look fake even from the inside -- you'd swear no one ever set foot in there, but people live in 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies