Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 09:28 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times

Advertisements

watched a memento of her career; amazing. It was before my time but I wish I lived in my Mom's era- Nat King Cole music- the 40's and 50's. It seemed an innocent time in America then.

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 05:19 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,674 times
Default Bette Davis

Can't help it, I love Bette Davis. Her roles in "THE LETTER", "LITTLE FOXES" were so perfect. In fact I loved all her films from about 1935 to 1955. Then she became a total caricature. I think the opening scene in "THE LETTER" where she blows away her lover is totally wonderful. I often watch it just to see her doing it!!!

And I think I must be the only person in the world who thought Joan Crawford did the better job in "BABY JANE"....

Old 04-06-2007, 06:05 PM

Yes- The Letter was great. They dont make films like that (trite- but true) did you ever see "The Blue Gardenia"- with Ann Baxter? I love TCM - movies from that era were so well- done and effective!

sunny

Old 04-07-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Yes- The Letter was great. They dont make films like that (trite- but true) did you ever see "The Blue Gardenia"- with Ann Baxter? I love TCM - movies from that era were so well- done and effective!

sunny
Yes... Saw it, also loved Ann Baxter. Got two of my favorites, Ann Baxter AND Bette Davis, in "All About Eve", in my estimation the last great Davis film. From then on she was pretty strange...

Old 04-07-2007, 11:17 AM

Yes- well she lived to her 80's I believe? Such a great talent- NO one can compare. We only have a handful of great talents today- I hate the new celeb/trash magazine culture. I cant think of a great actor on screen we have now- maybe Hopkins- Jane Fonda- wow- I cant even really think of ANY female actress I like today, who seems talented. (Lauren Bacall-in "Birth"? lol).

Old 04-08-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Ann Baxter

Did anyone know that Ann Baxter wrote an autobiography (Can't recall its title...) that was very, very good. Extremely well-written, about her marriage to an Australian and subsequent move to downunder and life there. She was quite a lady... died so young, as many of the great ones did.

But you're right... Bette was unsurpassed! Next time anyone watches one of Bette's older movies, watch what she does with her left hand when she has a long speech... (Clenches and unclenches... Must have been something to help her memorize? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies