Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:04 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times

Advertisements

When Is The Last Time Hollywood Made A Socially Critical Movie?

Most movies, critical of society, are foreign films, such as:
1984 (the British version from 1955)
Fahrenheit 451
The Stranger
Can you think of any Hollywood movies which toss slight jabs at the Status Quo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 11:09 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,306 times
Bulworth (1998) comes to mind, and I might want to see it again, especially with what's going on in national politics today. I enjoyed the film.

Bulworth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Bulworth - Trailer (High Quality)

Old 07-27-2009, 11:13 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,475,290 times
Wag the Dog perhaps?
Rendition?
Stop-Loss?

I think the problem nowadays is that people don't really want to see these kinds of movies as they make them uncomfortable (gods forbid we should actually have to think while we're watching a movie) and so they bomb at the box-office. And with money being the over-riding concern in Hollywood it's very hard for film-makers to get these kinds of movies made any more.

And talking of British films, one coming out soon that may be fun to watch is In The Loop - an apparently hilarious satire on what happens when a US president and a UK prime minister (naming no names ) decide it's time for another war

Old 07-27-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Wag the Dog perhaps?
Rendition?
Stop-Loss?

I think the problem nowadays is that people don't really want to see these kinds of movies as they make them uncomfortable (gods forbid we should actually have to think while we're watching a movie) and so they bomb at the box-office. And with money being the over-riding concern in Hollywood it's very hard for film-makers to get these kinds of movies made any more.

And talking of British films, one coming out soon that may be fun to watch is In The Loop - an apparently hilarious satire on what happens when a US president and a UK prime minister (naming no names ) decide it's time for another war
Good post! You are probably right about a lack of interest for movies that provoke any thoughts. The sad part is that surely there must be some very talented writers in America with terrific ideas for films, but will never have their ideas presented in a film. Same for creative directors and actors.
I haven't seen the movies you mentioned, because Hollywood productions rarely interest me. I think I've seen about 5 Hollywood movies in the last 15 years. The last one I can recall is Oliver Stone's "The Doors". Since several years I prefer French and Italian movies.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:40 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Crash - 2004

Oscar Winner Best Picture
Oscar Winner Best Original Screenplay
Oscar Winner Best Editing

Old 07-27-2009, 11:59 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,727,398 times
Bruno

Old 07-27-2009, 12:04 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,357,374 times
Crash, of course, but also: Brokeback Mountain, Little Miss Sunshine; Juno. . . I'm sure there are others, can't think of them at the moment, and of course, plenty of (non-hollywood) like "The girl in the Cafe", The boy in the striped pajamas, etc.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Crash - 2004

Oscar Winner Best Picture
Oscar Winner Best Original Screenplay
Oscar Winner Best Editing
I don't keep up with Oscar awards. The name "Crash" says nothing to me. Judging by the title it sounds like an action movie.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,080 times
The OP wrote;
Quote:
I don't keep up with Oscar awards. The name "Crash" says nothing to me. Judging by the title it sounds like an action movie.
But you're the one who started the thread, shouldn't you have had some idea first, done some research?

The OP also wrote;
Quote:
I think I've seen about 5 Hollywood movies in the last 15 years.
Then you are missing some really good, even "socially critical" movies, including some of the following;

"In America", the Irish immigrant experience in America.
"Hustle And Flow", the southern, Black rapper experience.
"Hotel Rwanda", genocide in Rwanda.
"Wall-E", on conservation and recycling.
"What's Cooking", the immigrant experience in LA.
"Shattered Glass", what happens when the "news" isn't.

Try some of these, you might enjoy them, more than "The Doors" anyway.

golfgod

Old 07-28-2009, 04:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Some very nice choices so far, especially Shattered Glass.
I own What's Cooking, and watch it every Thanksgiving.

I think Borat was a huge jab at arrogant, self-absorbed Americans.

Sunshine State has a strong message about what thoughtless development does to our land.
However, I'm not sure John Sayles (who has made other films that address sensitive American issues) can really be considered Hollywood.

These are documentaries, not dramas, but they were fairly mainstream ones.

An Inconvenient Truth

The Fog of War

Supersize Me

Farenheit 9/11 and Sicko
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies