Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:44 PM

21 posts, read 42,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
so, maybe it would have been better if i had titled the thread, "Why I Dont Like A Lot of Old Movies".
Now I know a lot of people that just don't like black & white movies. I don't agree with them, and I can't fully understand why, but at least it's something I can accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:25 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,384 times
in my case it has nothing to do with technology, special effects, profanity; it is simply the delivery when it comes to the acting and the dialogue.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
I am glad the OP brought this up. I, too, can't stand most older movies due to the exact reasons the OP listed here (well, especially the parts about dialogues delivery/intonation, and facial expression).

I recently watched 'The Robe' on DVD because my husband (who loves old movies) made me watch it with him. Good grief, I couldn't even enjoy the story because everything looked and sounded so fake, from the facial expression (Richard Burton's wooden expression throughout the movie was downright confusing), the acting (the guy who played Ceasar was completely over the top), to the stilted dialogues. This from a movie that supposedly won a lot of awards. Don't even get me started with Shirley Temple's oscar for playing a cute kid over and over again. If I ever pick a black & white movie by choice, it will most likely be a comedy because at least then I can laugh out loud since some of Laurel & Hardy's or Marx brothers' comedies are indeed funny.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
in my case it has nothing to do with technology, special effects, profanity; it is simply the delivery when it comes to the acting and the dialogue.
You can see a profound difference in the foreign films from the same period.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
If I ever pick a black & white movie by choice, it will most likely be a comedy because at least then I can laugh out loud since some of Laurel & Hardy's or Marx brothers' comedies are indeed funny.
two of my favorites .... but don't leave out W.C. Fields - Ambrose Wolfinger would be disappointed.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:59 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
The actors of that era developed their craft in the theater. That is why you see a more animated and dramatic style of acting and dialogue. In the theater you must project your voice and emotions with exaggerated delivery. That carried over into film until the mid to late 50's. I like the old movies myself. I'm more into the 60's and 70's films than the earlier stuff, but I have a strong appreciation for Mongomery Clift, Humphrey Bogart, George Raft, Judy Holiday, William Holden, etc.

For some examples of movies that may be more to your taste try Lifeboat, 12 Angry Men, Stalag 17, The Caine Mutiny, or The Young Lions.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The actors of that era developed their craft in the theater. That is why you see a more animated and dramatic style of acting and dialogue. In the theater you must project your voice and emotions with exaggerated delivery. That carried over into film until the mid to late 50's. I like the old movies myself. I'm more into the 60's and 70's films than the earlier stuff, but I have a strong appreciation for Mongomery Clift, Humphrey Bogart, George Raft, Judy Holiday, William Holden, etc.

For some examples of movies that may be more to your taste try Lifeboat, 12 Angry Men, Stalag 17, The Caine Mutiny, or The Young Lions.
that's been brought up, and it is a good point. i didnt think of that before, but now it is understood. so, i guess it would be fair to say that i prefer movies made after they evolved from this theatrical style of delivery.

i will check out those movies you listed if i see them on TV. i actually have seen Twelve Angry Men. it was a very long time ago, but i remember that it wasnt bad. the only thing i remember having a problem with was that the "tough kid" who was on trial couldnt have looked more sweet and innocent.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I am glad the OP brought this up. I, too, can't stand most older movies due to the exact reasons the OP listed here (well, especially the parts about dialogues delivery/intonation, and facial expression).

I recently watched 'The Robe' on DVD because my husband (who loves old movies) made me watch it with him. Good grief, I couldn't even enjoy the story because everything looked and sounded so fake, from the facial expression (Richard Burton's wooden expression throughout the movie was downright confusing), the acting (the guy who played Ceasar was completely over the top), to the stilted dialogues. This from a movie that supposedly won a lot of awards. Don't even get me started with Shirley Temple's oscar for playing a cute kid over and over again. If I ever pick a black & white movie by choice, it will most likely be a comedy because at least then I can laugh out loud since some of Laurel & Hardy's or Marx brothers' comedies are indeed funny.
how dare you! youre obviously some kinda Fast and Furious watchin' moron.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:51 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,503 times
Tokyo Drift was the bomb.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:13 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Interesting points of view. I've seen a TON of movies, both old and new. First, did people actually talk like was portrayed in some of the old movies? Obviously, some of them didn't, but in others the speech patterns are really fairly close. It can be difficult for younger people to understand how stilted and prudish people were. They grew up in an era of blue laws, going to church at least once a week, and rigid social structures. Feelings WERE often hidden from public view. The fuss about Rhett saying "Frankly, my dear I don't give a damm." would never had occurred if the word damm was spoken in average polite society. Read Shakespeare and recognize that a lot of that stilted dialog was actually common Elizabethan English. Styles of speech change almost as much as fashion. Isn't that groovy man? Knarly, dude? Excellent, Bill?

Early films also tended to build the words from the plot-line upwards, rather than being stream-of-consciousness or more loosely woven. Film cost money, many features were short, and the minimum number of words and actions to get the story told were often the main criteria.

The influence of German cinema and the German atmospheric techniques built more depth into a lot of films. Sound itself required certain concessions of early filmmakers.

Ultimately, it is a craft and artform. The stylizations of particular directors, actors, and studios can be compared to those of various types of paintings. Some folks hate Grandma Moses paintings, some don't care for Impressionists. Those feelings are certainly valid, but understand that they often change over time. A film that you love now, you may grow to hate. The reverse is true as well.

Part of the change comes from study and appreciation for what was done within the context of the time and pressures on the director, cast, and crew. Appreciation doesn't always mean liking, what it does mean is a greater understanding and respect. What you or I might like or hate at a particular time is best seen as opinion based on an unsteady base of emotion. What we appreciate, and the reasons for that, can be more important in conveying to others what is good or bad about a movie, or any other artform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies