Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2017, 12:21 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,074,874 times

Advertisements

Out of these two movies adapted from 80s cartoons for kids, which do you think was the better adaptation.

SPOILERS

TMNT had a good main plot with the turtles, and the backstory with Splinter and Shredder I felt. But the subplots with the police chief, and April being fired, then re-hired, I felt didn't really go anywhere, or add anything. I also felt that Shredder and the foot clan could have had more ambitious criminal plans, when all they were doing were stealing electronics mostly it seemed.

With Transformers, I like a lot of the moments in the movie, but I felt that it could have been more about the transformers, and they are pushed into the background by the human characters.

The Transformers are also hard to watch in the sense of how their faces are animated, as there is so much design in their faces, that it's hard actually see their faces, if that makes sense. The turtles had facial expressions that were much easier to read.

I also felt that the movie had too many goodlooking women in the movie, to the point of where it was really obvious, and felt forced. I guess I can be okay with that in The Fast and the Furious, but for some reason it bothered me in a Transformers movie. Is that a double standard for me?

They are both kind of good, kind of not, but I think I would have to give the slight edge to TMNT. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 04:13 PM

10,491 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Hard to compare both. I'm more of a TMNT fan than a Transformers fan, so that in itself would automatically be my favorite. Only thing that really held back TMNT was that it was coming from at the time, a sticky gooey kids cartoon, and because of that, they were forced to keep it PG (too bad it wasn't PG-13, I would imagine the fights would be even more kickass) But I also thought TMNT flowed better as a story. Everyone came in as an organic piece, and all had their roles.

Transformers was awesome in the action department, but I felt there were too many characters, and it could have been slimmed down some. I also would have preferred it if Sam just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, instead of being connected to the Transformers from his grandfather.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:26 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,833 times
The 1990 Turtles movie is ripped from the pages of the comics (there are websites that matched comic panels with scenes from the movie). It only has a few references from the cartoon, and the action wasn't bloody/graphic like the comic. It's easily one of the most accurate comic-to-film adaptations before the modern deluge.

I watched the Transformers cartoon when I was little, and I didn't like the 2007 movie at all. It didn't resemble the cartoon, and the camera angles and close-ups made the movie indecipherable (also, the color grading made every fair-skinned actor look orange). The 3rd Transformers was based on episodes of the 80s cartoon, and it's the only movie in the series that I thought was decent.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:20 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,985,952 times
Of course it was TMNT and it’s not close. Michael Bay was terrible with awful casting and relying on CHI. Turtles was much better written and acted. I’ll take a man in a turtle suit over fake transformers cgi any day.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Hard to compare both. I'm more of a TMNT fan than a Transformers fan, so that in itself would automatically be my favorite. Only thing that really held back TMNT was that it was coming from at the time, a sticky gooey kids cartoon, and because of that, they were forced to keep it PG (too bad it wasn't PG-13, I would imagine the fights would be even more kickass) But I also thought TMNT flowed better as a story. Everyone came in as an organic piece, and all had their roles.

Transformers was awesome in the action department, but I felt there were too many characters, and it could have been slimmed down some. I also would have preferred it if Sam just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, instead of being connected to the Transformers from his grandfather.
Even if TMNT is PG, it still feels more like a PG-13 movie to me, than Transformers does. The only part of Transformers that feels PG-13 for me, was the masturbation conversation. But TMNT has a more gritty PG-13 feel to it in other ways even though it's PG, doesn't it?

Old 03-16-2018, 07:10 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
LOL. Somewhere in this house, we still have the videocassette of the 1990 TMNT, from when our kids were little. They loved that movie, and I thought it was clever. Saw only one of the others and stopped half way through; it was awful.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:15 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
To me, neither translated well as a movie. They both were much better as comics or cartoons (I felt the same way about GI Joe), but if I had to pick, I think TMNT was done better. Overall, I think TMNT pulled off a better movie.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Michael Bay movies are for folks with low IQs and just wanna blow stuff up scenes. None of the TF movies make any sense regardless if it were TF or Gremlins. Didn't matter who the characters were he butchered the stories and characters regardless. Last one was even more nonsensical.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:08 PM

Well I think Michael Bay had two good movies which were The Rock, and The Island. The Rock especially, had a screenplay that was just as intelligent of an action movie, as say, Die Hard or something like that. So he managed to knock it out of the park that time I would say.

After watching TMNT again, I would say that it's better than the first Transformers, and both movies were better than the first GI Joe movie, which I thought was just a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies