Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 05:35 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,557,165 times

Advertisements

Icons Unearthed:The Simpsons (2022)

Six part documentary on The Simpsons..
From its creation, and early creators thru 30+ years of staff changes, and ratings ups & downs. Some good insights from writers and producers.
Entertaining nostalgia, but went long.. probably could've streamlined the series down to 4 episodes, but maybe they were trying to specifically fill a larger slot(?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2023, 04:34 AM

The Fall of Minneapolis (2023)

New doc on the media's sins of omission in the death of George Floyd. I think a lot of these omissions are already known now.. but this documentary puts it all in chronological order. And gives voice to a lot of the cops and family members involved in trying to police Minneapolis during their riots etc.
My one complaint is the slow pacing & pauses (I assume to let revelations sink in?)

It's available for free on its own Fall of Minneapolis website, and YouTube and some other small video hosts..

Old 01-26-2024, 10:21 AM

Evils Surrounding Elvis (2023)

A documentary that I thought (based on the title) would be a sympathetic portrayal of Elvis. But this is a pretty blunt testimony from Elvis' friends, regarding Elvis's sins and struggles. Elvis's temper, being a bad husband, Elvis introducing his inner circle to prescription drug misuse. I was kinda surprised by the presentation, even tho there was a lot of blunt honesty from people who knew him best.
Another strange aspect, its release date is 2023, and it's getting a recent push from Roku. But the age of the friends, the film quality, and the cars they're driving; it's apparent this was filmed about 25 years ago. Wonder why it sat unreleased for so long.. or if it's some kind of repackage.

Anyone else streamed this ?

Old 01-30-2024, 01:04 PM

1,863 posts, read 840,136 times
history channel last weekend had the series about ford motor company

Old 03-01-2024, 10:42 AM

The Columbine Massacre: In the Killers Minds (2016)

Documentary featuring a lot of interviews with teachers, students, and parents who were present at, or personally affected by the 1999 Columbine shootings.

It's a French documentary, so some of their English vocabulary is a little off.. but they did some good journalism here. And the killings & emotion are still pretty fresh. Freevee has this doc listed as a 2016 release, but the doc's credits list its release as 2007. And to be honest based on the appearance of the students, film quality, and computers in the background etc.. it looks like some of these clips were filmed even earlier (maybe 2004, etc). About an hour long, streaming free on Freevee.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:16 PM

12,039 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Music fans may enjoy "Twenty Feet From Stardom" a documentary about the people who make their living singing backup for the famous singers.

I'd always wondered about the woman who sang the powerful backup to the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter." Her name is Merry Clayton and she is included in this film telling an amusing anecdote about how she came to work with them.

https://tubitv.com/movies/100013791/...t-from-stardom

Old 03-08-2024, 09:41 AM

12,039 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Last night I watched "Some Kind of Heaven," a documentary about The Villages retirement community in Florida.

https://www.hulu.com/movie/dbb0e05a-...0-624ec21e35bd

It contrasted the lives of those who fit in and are happy there with the lives of a few people who have problems which aren't compatible with the lifestyle.

I guess the message was that this "Disneyland for adults" won't make everyone happy but my thought was that there are genuine living problems that can't be satisfied by a change of scenery anywhere.

It's less of an indictment of The Villages and more of a confirmation that some people's realities are not so easily overlooked.

Old 03-20-2024, 09:37 AM

Fresh Meat: Jeffrey Dahmer (2021. Tubi)

There's been so many recent docs & podcasts on Dahmer, that I think we're now moving in to the Dahmer expanded universe. This documentary is as much about Damer's killer, and fellow inmates, as Dahmer himself.
It profiles the inmate who killed Dahmer, and interviews a man who had earlier attempted to kill Dahmer behind bars.
Also interviews Dahmer's pastor from his time in prison. The movie does cover the facts of Dahmer's crimes, but I think it assumes its audience already knows most of 'em, since this is more of a niche subject: Dahmer's final years as a prisoner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies