Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 02:03 AM

49 posts, read 71,807 times

Advertisements

What are your opinions on concept albums vs. standard/conventional albums. Do you feel that a unifying idea tends to hurt/help the quality of the actual songs across an album, or not at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 04:44 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,782,493 times
I think concept albums is where the term "AOR(album oriented rock) came from. One might associate a song instead with the album it came from. Taking a lesser known artist like Dan Fogelberg, for example, his finest and most popular album "The Innocent Age" was an autobiographical concept album about the realities of growing up, from the cradle to the grave.

The fact that 4 hits came from it (Same Old Lang Syne, Hard To Say, Leader Of The Band" and "Run For the Roses") was considered kind of unusual back in the day because 2 disc concept albums usually were not known for their hit singles

When I hear Ebony and Ivory by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder, I always associate it with the album it came from which was about struggle(Tug Of War) rather than the AM radio hit status it had

weren't bands like Genesis and Supertramp releasing concept albums in the 70's until they started putting out more cookie cutter pop formats (ie spaces in between the songs)?

Old 12-04-2010, 09:43 AM

4,418 posts, read 9,169,368 times
The Decemberist have revived the concept album formula with 2009's Hazards Of Love. They have a new album coming out in 11, but I do not believe it is a concept album. Neutral Milk Hotel also made a concept album in 1997 called Aeroplanes Oer The Sea. This album is undisputably one of the top 20 best albums of the rock/pop era! Many say that NMH influenced the Decemberist which I agree with.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:25 PM

894 posts, read 2,323,527 times
I like concept albulms and the idea of a story being told over the length of an albulm set to music. I just wouldn't want a band to do it for every single record. A good exmple would be Dream Theater's "Metropolis". I think Coheed and Cambria also do this too.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:39 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,114,940 times
Well hell, guys, you can't talk about concept albums without mentioning this gem, which is for my money, the Best Concept Album Ever Recorded. And the movie was pretty good too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHKHQoAb0uU

Old 12-04-2010, 06:01 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,124,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Well hell, guys, you can't talk about concept albums without mentioning this gem, which is for my money, the Best Concept Album Ever Recorded. And the movie was pretty good too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHKHQoAb0uU
I agree with drummer boy the Wall is my favorite concept album as well,l but right behind the Wall and my 2nd favorite concept album is Quadrophenia

Here's "the Real me" with a Keith Moon tribute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Or4QGI80Y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music