Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of Hip Hop do you like?
East Coast Hip Hop 4 44.44%
West Coast Hip Hop 4 44.44%
Southern Hip Hop 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:07 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,709,867 times

Advertisements

Do you like Southern Hip Hop, East Coast, or West coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 01:30 AM

711 posts, read 1,145,156 times
East Coast.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 AM

19,736 posts, read 20,292,914 times
I like it all. Just depends on the year!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:34 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,709,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
East Coast.
Me too. I feel that East Coast Hip Hop is more lyrical. I mean West Coast Hip Hop is lyrical too, but I like the rhythm of the East Coast Hip Hop more.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:20 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Out of the three listed, I like West Coast better. D.O.C, Tupac, Snoop, Cypress Hill, Digital Underground. I love the lyrical and hardcore content of West Coast Rap.

But honestly I love Chicago style rap the most. Common and Lupe Fiasco are the most creative rappers out there.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:41 PM

711 posts, read 1,145,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Me too. I feel that East Coast Hip Hop is more lyrical. I mean West Coast Hip Hop is lyrical too, but I like the rhythm of the East Coast Hip Hop more.
Yeah East Coast have gritty, raw lyrics, better beats, better dj's, hip hop started on the east, more quality, legendary status, etc. etc. But what it comes down to is that the East is filled with cats that had a rough life and started rapping to bring them out of their situation.

I always think that west coast hip hop is more mellow and chilled. Their music is good too.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:44 PM

19,736 posts, read 20,292,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post

I always think that west coast hip hop is more mellow and chilled.

I LOVE the G FUNK ERA!!!!

Old 01-15-2011, 01:52 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,651,678 times
I like the Dirty South from the early/mid 90s. I wrote a blog about this but on the totem pole it's DF/GM/OK before all:

Black Ice

I like the stuff from the North too. I'll put the Midwest 3rd and the West Coast 4th.

The strip club stuff coming out of Atlanta (which is my city) is just the product of dudes hustling (the underground stuff should be next up).

Old 01-15-2011, 02:27 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,105,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Do you like Southern Hip Hop, East Coast, or West coast?
I like the kind of Hip Hop I can't hear.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:44 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,717,412 times
Here we go again

I like both because I was born and raised on the West Coast in the Bay in Frisco, but I also was partially raised on the East Coast in Maryland and I still live there. The East Coast are the originators of Hip Hop and they will always have that title. But I chose West Coast Hip hop because Hip Hop and the culture are EVERYWHERE in California. For instance, where I live on the East Coast in Maryland barely has any contribution to Hip Hop. There aren't any classic Hip Hop records out of DC or Baltimore past or present. Whereas, almost every hood in every city in Cali has produced dozens of albums and rappers that are highly respected up and down the West Coast, the Mid-West and many parts of the South.

However, I've noticed that East Coast Hip Hop heads are very uneducated about West Coast Hip Hop, in general, because the vast majority of Cali rap has always been an underground independent movement. Most East Coast rap fans know as much about West Coast Hip Hop as a Whiteboy in Maine. They are familiar with Dr. Dre, Snoop and NWA. These groups were great and historical, but not as half as revolutionary as many non-West Coast natives would like to believe. There are literally hundreds of highly-influential West Coast rappers and albums the average East Coast Hip Hop fan has not heard. But, not all of these records are classic and not all of these rappers were great. At the same time, West Coast Hip Hop fans are well aware of the all the great music that has come out of NYC because we are studious of the game and it has been hammered into our heads by all the heavily-biased media outlets based, where else but, in NYC.

For instance, I'm from the Bay. The first rap records to come out of the West Coast were from the Bay Area. These early records were different from anything coming out of New York. In the early to mid 80's, Too $hort pioneered smoothed out pimp rap. This sound would go one to influence and define not only the laid-back smooth sound of West Coast Hip Hop, but Mid West and Down South Hip Hop as well. Too $hort was yelling "bichez ain't sh*t" & "bitoch!" and sampling P-Funk in the 80's years and years before Dre dropped The Chronic. The Bay Area Mobb Music sound, that is often overlooked by ignorant East Coast natives, single handedly influenced the popular L.A. G-Funk sound which non-West Coasters are so familiar with.

Hip Hop in America: A Regional Guide ... - Google Books

Songs and albums like this went on to influence the rap scene on the entire West Coast as well as the Midwest and the South.

Ultimately, I appreciate both West and East Coast Hip Hop because I lived in both places and understand the vibe of life. NYC natives wearing bubble gooses, skullies and Timbs in three feet of snow aren't going to understand laid-back bass-heavy records about macking, pimping and riding in perpetual sunshine in candy painted old schools with gold Daytons. Similarly, the average West Coast native doesn't understand the raw stripped-down, skeletal, seasonal depressive, freezing cold sounds of Mobb Deep and Black Moon songs.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 01-15-2011 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music