Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:02 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,467,865 times

Advertisements

Is the south still on top of hip hop because as of lately i have not been hearing any type of top sales coming from southern artist lately.

Also another question i have is why do people lump the south as 1 when it comes to being on top when in reality i have never heard a top artist come from no parts of south Carolina, Alabama, Arkansas , north Carolina etc etc?

as for as south goes the only cities that were putting in work were Atlanta, Miami , new Orleans, and Houston texas.

So is the status of the south now in hip hop overrated? especially with soulja boy and his 13,000 sales in a week hit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 08:15 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,725,839 times
I think with every region of the country its a mixed bag. Not everything that comes outta NYC is hot or classic. Not everything that comes outta the Bay or L.A. is hot or classic. Same thing with the South. Gucci Mane, Wacka, Soulja Boy, OJ da Juiceman are pretty weak, in my opinion. However, T.I. has put out a lot of good music. You can't go wrong with UGK (or Bun B by extension) either. Curren$y and J. Cole are also two down South artists who manage to put out fire on a consistent basis.

I think being "on top" of Hip Hop is overrated to begin with. Being "on top" in 2011 is corny. The only people eating up the trash music on the airwaves are kids in the 'burbs, fools from the hood with room temperature IQ's and spandex jean wearing 12-19 year old kids. Most radio rappers from the South have no message in their music anyway. It's all the same formula over and over again (i.e. "make it rain" strip club songs/trick off your money at the club tracks, "This proves I'm a real Blood/Crip" songs and videos, sissified p*ssy whipped love ballads, instructional dance songs etc.)

I'm from the Bay and our movement has always been underground and independent. Because of this, our artists are still producing good music while everyone on TV is trying to appeal to the masses. The funny things is that many independent Bay Area artists make more money than TV rappers who sign bad record deals just to koon it up on TV and the radio:

Your Favorite Rapper is Poor: The 360 Deal Edition - Refined Hype

Also, 99% of rappers from the Bay aren't allowed to pick up on bootsie industry trends like studio Blooding and Cripping because our music is for the streets and by the streets.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 03-13-2011 at 08:40 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,465,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Is the south still on top of hip hop because as of lately i have not been hearing any type of top sales coming from southern artist lately.
Hip Hop as a whole isn't having tons of sales.

Quote:
Also another question i have is why do people lump the south as 1 when it comes to being on top when in reality i have never heard a top artist come from no parts of south Carolina, Alabama, Arkansas , north Carolina etc etc?
NC - Troop 41, J Cole, Petey Pablo, Little Brother
Bama - Yelawolf, Rich Boy

Old 03-14-2011, 04:42 PM

115 posts, read 243,907 times
The south has a lot of rap artist out right now receiving heavy rotation and spins on radio, but that does not mean the south on top of hip hop. Each region has their time to shine.

Quote:
as for as south goes the only cities that were putting in work were Atlanta, Miami , new Orleans, and Houston texas.
You forgot about Memphis.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:43 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,344,425 times
The south's reign is coming to an end. I can feel it. The only question that remains is "Who's got next?"

Old 03-20-2011, 05:58 PM

303 posts, read 605,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
The south's reign is coming to an end. I can feel it. The only question that remains is "Who's got next?"
Hmmm good question

I'll say either the Midwest OR places you don't hear about often or have a small rap scene (North Dakota, Maine, Iowa, Arizona, Idaho, other states) lol don't laugh. I mean theres rappers all over Youtube from different states that might be hot from those states or places we never hear about. There could be another Eminem in Maine or another Jadakiss in Iowa lol you never know

Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideWunda View Post
Hmmm good question

I'll say either the Midwest OR places you don't hear about often or have a small rap scene (North Dakota, Maine, Iowa, Arizona, Idaho, other states) lol don't laugh. I mean theres rappers all over Youtube from different states that might be hot from those states or places we never hear about. There could be another Eminem in Maine or another Jadakiss in Iowa lol you never know
Honestly, I want to see who is coming out the Pacific Northwest(seattle, portland) !

Old 03-20-2011, 10:17 PM

303 posts, read 605,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Honestly, I want to see who is coming out the Pacific Northwest(seattle, portland) !
Only person I know about out there is Sir Mix-a-lot lol

Old 03-24-2011, 08:57 AM

492 posts, read 1,032,147 times
The southern region is still leading the current culture of hip hop, regardless of sales. Being on top is not about record sales, its about the influence you have on the culture of hip hop. So no I dont think its overrated. Like for example, notice how a lot of people have more of a southern slang/dialect now when rapping or talking? Regardless of what region theyre from. Notice how majority of the popular music has a southern sound to it. That just goes to show the south's influence on the rap game has been dominant over the last decade plus. Remember when everyone was trying to sound and rap like they were from NYC.

But no one region is selling huge amounts of records at this point either. I think the south still has a hold on hip hop at this point though because of the versatility and staying true them. (You have trap rap, hip hop/underground acts, dance/club acts). And as long as the south keeps a stronghold on the club scene than it wont have to worry about fading away. Outside of a few R&B acts, the only music you hear in the club is southern.

The real question is whats up with the other regions Like NYC or the West. NYC has really lost alot of its star power and luster. (outside of Jay, Puff, 50) NYC use to be so dominant that its crazy how things have changed.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM

492 posts, read 1,032,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post

So is the status of the south now in hip hop overrated? especially with soulja boy and his 13,000 sales in a week hit?
The south is inclusive, thats why its mentioned as a whole. There are small differences here and there but the culture is pretty strong and relative throughout. The cities you mentioned as the ones putting in work cover just about every region of the south as a whole. (And those are not the only cities that have put in work for the south)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music