Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 04:01 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,800,610 times

Advertisements

100 Greatest Guitar Solos - Tablature for the greatest guitar solos of all time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 04:04 PM

Is he SRV or Hendrix? No, but he's damn good indeed! Especially that ^ Estranged SOLO. WOWZA!!! That blows me away every single time!

Old 05-26-2011, 04:13 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,145,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post

#6 on what. If you quote a source please provide link. I noticed you didn't have issue with either John or Tom.

Other rock/blues Guitarists I'd put above Slash.

Johnny Lang
Eric Johnson
Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Old 05-26-2011, 04:15 PM

You know you got it down when the song opens in a solo. It's also a multi-piece solo that continues throughout the song. That's a Rock player playing the Blues to the trained ears! Look at the vid that matches when he comes out of the ocean and is reminiscent of SRV's Couldn't Stand The Weather. Cool as hell, and jaw dropping!

YouTube - ‪Guns N' Roses - Estranged‬‏

Old 05-26-2011, 04:17 PM

Solos do not a great guitar player make. Sure it's a factor as are song writing and innovation.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
#6 on what. If you quote a source please provide link. I noticed you didn't have issue with either John or Tom.

Other rock/blues Guitarists I'd put above Slash.

Johnny Lang
Eric Johnson
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
The link is above. Those players I'd put them slightly above but they ain't The Red Hot Chili Peppers and we're talking about GNR and ROCK here!

Old 05-26-2011, 04:28 PM

824 posts, read 1,179,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Rock albums released since Appetite that are better:

All of the Tool albums.
All of the Rage Against the Machine albums. (except Renegades)
Jane's Addiction - Nothing Shocking & Ritual De Lo Habitual
Faith No More - The Real Thing
Nirvana - Nevermind & In Utero
RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magic, Mothers Milk, By The Way, Californication & Stadium Arcadium.
Pearl Jam - 10 & Vs
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
All the Foo Fighters albums
All the Queens of the Stone Age albums
Korn - Follow The Leader
All of the Incubus albums (other than S.C.I.E.N.C.E.)
All the Audioslave albums
All of The Black Keys albums (THE REAL BEST AMERICAN ROCK BAND)

Don't get me wrong GnR were a good band. Good not great. Appetite was a huge album. But for me it just doesn't hold up. I think for me it was too much like the hair metal that was prevalent at the time of it's release and I loathe hair metal.
Except those bands with the exception of a few truly suck, GNR Kills them all and they were against the hair metal too.

and nevermind and nirvana were the most overrated medicore band in music history, they set the stage for another genre even worse than hair metal

NU METAL!
and it sucks.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
Except those bands with the exception of a few truly suck, GNR Kills them all and they were against the hair metal too.

and nevermind and nirvana were the most overrated medicore band in music history, they set the stage for another genre even worse than hair metal

NU METAL!
and it sucks.
Well, all I'm saying is Tom isn't Slash either. I like to listen to RATM as a newer alternative to MY CLASSIC ROCK but he isn't Slash or GNR. If you've ever picked up a guitar, anyone would know that!

YouTube - ‪Rage Against The Machine - Bombtrack‬‏

Old 05-26-2011, 04:50 PM

Of course, if basic guitar skills are your THANG, have at it! Hey, at least they are classic and knew they couldn't play the solos. It's got a harmonica in to fill. Something the newer stuff doesn't have!

YouTube - ‪The Romantics - What I Like About You (original version)‬‏

Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post

NU METAL!
and it sucks.

What's great about music is we can both have our own opinions. And my opinion is that your opinion sucks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music