Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 11:58 AM

411 posts, read 904,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
1. REM

2. CCR

3. The Velvet Underground

4. Guided By Voices

5. The Doors

6. Love

7. Wilco

8. The Allman Brothers I will be fair even though not a huge fan. I recognize their talent.

9. The Grateful Dead

10. The Drive By Truckers

I will not budge on Phish and DMB. Absolute crappola! forgot the Replacements and Husker Du. Also the Original Sins from Bethlehem.
your list is way too nitchy. We are talking about greatest ROCK bands. The grateful dead? Love? Guided by Voices? The Velvet underground. Yes Ok we understand you have a somewhat refined pallet but you aren't listing rock bands. Besides if you want to be cool, and it seems that you really do, then you should learn about and listen to Steve Kilbey and/ or the Church. Guided by voices??? Hipster fans of the late 90's and early 2000's like them but to say greatest rock band ever? c'mon man. Your list hardly rocks at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 11:59 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,561,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning OTF View Post
Everybody knows Slash is a Guitar Hero III star. Look it Mkpunk.....even has a emoticon........
Guitar Hero III FTW!!!

Old 02-10-2014, 12:02 PM

411 posts, read 904,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
What is REAL rock?

Is Pantera not A REAL rock band?

Tool?

Mastodon?

All three of those bands GNR couldn't even come close to in lyrical content or musicianship.

Also there's

The Black Keys
The Deftones
Wolfmother
Them Crooked Vultures

You can argue on the merits of these groups vs. GNR but to say these great bands aren't REAL rock is ludicrous.

The Black Keys.... Not as cool and hip as you think. They suck.

The deftones..... Great band. Not really rock. More alternative. Definitely not mainstream rock. Tool is also alternative. a little to weird to just be rock. Pantera is thrash.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:22 PM

38,931 posts, read 24,038,229 times
I don't know why we can't just say punk, metal and alternative is rock? The issue is hard rock is not classic rock and glam metal/hair band based any more and has more alternative, southern and post-grunge roots. It's all rock n roll to me, they just took different avenues and there is a lot of crossover between genres more so now than ever with all the fusion genres think of deathcore (death metal and metalcore), metalcore (metal and punk), electronicore (electronic rock and metalcore), nu-metal (rep, thrash, grunge and industrial.) It all came from the same grandfather anyway.

Back on topic, as I've said, there have been a LOT of great bands since Guns but none had the true impact Guns did. Guns stripped down the hair band image and led to more similar bands like Skid Row and really made the industry more accessible to the Nirvanas and Soundgardens of the world.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:21 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,052,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
your list is way too nitchy. We are talking about greatest ROCK bands. The grateful dead? Love? Guided by Voices? The Velvet underground. Yes Ok we understand you have a somewhat refined pallet but you aren't listing rock bands. Besides if you want to be cool, and it seems that you really do, then you should learn about and listen to Steve Kilbey and/ or the Church. Guided by voices??? Hipster fans of the late 90's and early 2000's like them but to say greatest rock band ever? c'mon man. Your list hardly rocks at all.
I completely disagree, that may be the best list I've ever seen. Those are all absolutely fantastic bands and are part of a small group of bands in my regular rotation (with the exception of guided by voices, I've never heard them). My tope 10 list would be

1.The Band
2.The Grateful Dead
3.Little Feat
4.Neil Young & Crazy Horse
5.Allman Brothers
6.Pink Floyd
7.Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
8.Blind Faith (short lived I know, but such a perfect band)
9.My Morning Jacket
10.Tom Petty with or without the heartbreakers (his solo works are better imo)

Old 02-12-2014, 10:50 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,157,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
The Black Keys.... Not as cool and hip as you think. They suck.

The deftones..... Great band. Not really rock. More alternative. Definitely not mainstream rock. Tool is also alternative. a little to weird to just be rock. Pantera is thrash.

Thanks for the pigeonholing lesson. You are the genre master.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Thanks for the pigeonholing lesson. You are the genre master.
That annoys me. Why can't people be open to music. I use to be closed musically but then found out about so many acts that I either liked in passing or didn't get when I was younger...

Old 02-18-2014, 06:54 PM

824 posts, read 1,181,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't know why we can't just say punk, metal and alternative is rock? The issue is hard rock is not classic rock and glam metal/hair band based any more and has more alternative, southern and post-grunge roots. It's all rock n roll to me, they just took different avenues and there is a lot of crossover between genres more so now than ever with all the fusion genres think of deathcore (death metal and metalcore), metalcore (metal and punk), electronicore (electronic rock and metalcore), nu-metal (rep, thrash, grunge and industrial.) It all came from the same grandfather anyway.

Back on topic, as I've said, there have been a LOT of great bands since Guns but none had the true impact Guns did. Guns stripped down the hair band image and led to more similar bands like Skid Row and really made the industry more accessible to the Nirvanas and Soundgardens of the world.
Got that right.

even though sadly grunge also set the stage for nu metal, emo, pop punk and metalcore.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
Got that right.

even though sadly grunge also set the stage for nu metal, emo, pop punk and metalcore.
Grunge has no influential ties to three out of the four metal sub-genres you listed. Metalcore is a fusion of metal and hardcore and even melodic death metal and no ties to grunge at all. Pop Punk was made accessible thanks to grunge taking off but I wouldn't blame grunge and alternative music for it, it's like Guns stripping down glam metal and opening the doors to dirty no-nonsense rock which includes the grunge movement. Emo as we know it, has tired to hardcore and pop punk, no grunge in there but again grunge and alternative music open the doors for it. Nu metal, by all means is warranted because there was considerable influence on it as much as thrash and rap. If you went fit post-grunge and alternative metal, I wouldn't disagree about those either. However, grunge shouldn't be blamed for emo, pop punk and metalcore at all.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:27 PM

824 posts, read 1,181,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Grunge has no influential ties to three out of the four metal sub-genres you listed. Metalcore is a fusion of metal and hardcore and even melodic death metal and no ties to grunge at all. Pop Punk was made accessible thanks to grunge taking off but I wouldn't blame grunge and alternative music for it, it's like Guns stripping down glam metal and opening the doors to dirty no-nonsense rock which includes the grunge movement. Emo as we know it, has tired to hardcore and pop punk, no grunge in there but again grunge and alternative music open the doors for it. Nu metal, by all means is warranted because there was considerable influence on it as much as thrash and rap. If you went fit post-grunge and alternative metal, I wouldn't disagree about those either. However, grunge shouldn't be blamed for emo, pop punk and metalcore at all.
Really, all of those genres are influenced by grunge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music