Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 01:06 PM

824 posts, read 1,181,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Kurt HATED Axl and Slash! The feeling was mutual I would bet money on! Everything Kurt stood for..Axl and Slash were against. The same for Kurt. The three didn't like each other. Not one little bit! You can still catch the genius of Slash in Velvet Revolver, a band comprised of Stone Temple Pilots and Guns N Roses. Check these vids. There are a lot of familiar faces in there. Slash also does session work. Here is a Lenny Kravitz smash hit that Slash helped make it what it is. The guy kicks a-s-s. There is no doubt about it. Also the real reason GNR broke up is because of the ownership rights to the band. Who actually owned them? Both Axl and Slash claim it's the other one. They both deny it. A stupidass reason to end a SUPERIOR band like them.

YouTube - Lenny Kravitz - Always On The Run(High Quality)

YouTube - Velvet Revolver - Slither

YouTube - Velvet Revolver - Fall To Pieces
You tell em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 01:18 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,807,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
You tell em.
Well, picking the ONE bum song they did to trash the band is a kick in the nuts! LMAO What about the other 40 or so??? Yesterday my friend... yesterday! You probably won't see another band like this again until the "hate your parents" crowd stifles it a bit and realizes they DON'T have the raw talent of the former.

YouTube - Guns N' Roses - Yesterdays (HQ Video)

Old 05-14-2011, 01:21 PM

37 posts, read 69,256 times
The only problem with GNR was axl rose. He turned out to be a real tool. Great in the 80's and early 90's.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:38 PM

824 posts, read 1,181,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybaroo1 View Post
The only problem with GNR was axl rose. He turned out to be a real tool. Great in the 80's and early 90's.
But still one hell of a great singer and songwriter.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:58 PM

I always tip my hat to Lenny for having a sensible mind and GREAT taste in musicians. He picked Slash, Mick and Hendrix. I suppose they all suck too? He saw what was coming and even wrote a song about it. I like how he uses a Jimi/Prince kind of look and feel as well. Are Gonna Go My Way has Hendrix riffs in it.... NOT KURTS!

YouTube - Lenny Kravitz - Rock N Roll Is Dead

YouTube - Lenny Kravitz - Are you gonna go my way

YouTube - mick jagger & lenny kravitz god give me everything i want

YouTube - Lenny Kravitz - Always On The Run(High Quality)

Old 05-14-2011, 02:00 PM

37 posts, read 69,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
But still one hell of a great singer and songwriter.

Absolutely. Just mental.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:27 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,443,781 times
Well, you guys are both wrong. In 94 or so Slash wrote a bunch of new material for the next GNR album but Axl didn't like it because he wanted the band to go in a more "alternative rock" direction much like every other hard rock band from the 80's was doing during the mid 90's. Slash took offense to it, they began feuding, Slash quit and Axl bought the rights to the name AFTER slash got the boot. That happened in 1996 if I remember correctly.

And the GNR vs. Nirvana feud began because GNR asked Nirvana to go on tour with them but they declined. Axl even used to sport a Nirvana hat on a regular basis. Probably because he knew that his genre of music was dying a slow painful death and he had to latch on to the "next big thing"

Then when Nirvana decided that they didn't want to have anything to do with GNR, and especially Axl Rose, Axl decided to burn the hat...

YouTube - Axl Rose burning Nirvana cap / Axl Rose Queimando Bone do Nirvana

Old 05-14-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Well, you guys are both wrong. In 94 or so Slash wrote a bunch of new material for the next GNR album but Axl didn't like it because he wanted the band to go in a more "alternative rock" direction much like every other hard rock band from the 80's was doing during the mid 90's. Slash took offense to it, they began feuding, Slash quit and Axl bought the rights to the name AFTER slash got the boot. That happened in 1996 if I remember correctly.

And the GNR vs. Nirvana feud began because GNR asked Nirvana to go on tour with them but they declined. Axl even used to sport a Nirvana hat on a regular basis. Probably because he knew that his genre of music was dying a slow painful death and he had to latch on to the "next big thing"

Then when Nirvana decided that they didn't want to have anything to do with GNR, and especially Axl Rose, Axl decided to burn the hat...

YouTube - Axl Rose burning Nirvana cap / Axl Rose Queimando Bone do Nirvana
Being the guitar EXPERT he is, I can see why he didn't want to go Punk or Grunge. When you can play like that, it would be a shame to throw it away in favor of three to four power chord material. The absence of SOLOS is a crime as well. He can play with the best of them. Even today in his modern stuff, it's still in there. Listen to that Velvet Revolver Fall To Pieces. That Les Paul is crying and pouring it's heart out without any words. The guy is a full blown EXPERT!

Old 05-14-2011, 03:51 PM

Maybe it's just me but that KIND^ of guitar playing give me goosebumps!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:08 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,816,489 times
music is a matter of taste and opinion. no sense in arguing over who is "better" as if it was a fact.

that said, i agree with the opinion that GnR is orders of magnitude better than grunge, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc. Nothing in the 1980's or 1990's can touch GnR in my opinion. You have to go back to the 70's, and 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music