Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:26 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,251,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The real question that needs to be asked is if Guns 'N Roses was such a great and important band, why didn't more bands try to imitate their sound over the last 20 years? It's not like there weren't non-grunge bands in the late 1980s/early 1990s who didn't influence music in the following years; IMO both Metallica (1980s/early 1990s era) and Pantera (Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power era) had a strong influence on a good chunk of the heavy rock music that came after them. Why didn't Guns 'N Roses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
They had the 60's + 70's sound and greatness that their predecessors had. It's very hard to have the song writing skills along with the musicianship, especially "that" type of guitar playing. Name a Grunge player that can play like that? How about a Pop Tart from '11? I'd say Joe Bonamassa and KWS can play like that. It's not easy and it can't be faked. Why don't they try to imitate them? They have the same mentality as some in this thread. The 60's and 70's style and flare sucks and the new stuff is where it is at. That's fine if they like that kind of music but they should at least know what the hell they are talking about! So why??? Why they ask? They aren't that GOOD!
Hmm, considering that 1960s/1970s era classic rock was imitated by many, many bands (good, bad, and indifferent) before Guns 'N Roses and a few after (like the Black Crowes), I suspect the answer above is a little suspect.

Incidentally, I agree with the post above this one - Led Zeppelin was miles better than Guns 'N Roses (though they weren't an American band and they were before Guns 'N Roses).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 01:07 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,776,244 times
led zeppelin and GnR were both doing their rendition of the blues. another thing they have in common is attitude... if rock music was just about talent, we'd be listening to Beethoven.

my gut reaction is that led zeppelin was a groundbreaking band because they were so incredibly talented. but they sound so much like chicago blues, it's hard for me to call them original, when so many of their best songs are covers. Plus, a lot of Led Zeppelin's later, non-blues songs are complete garbage. Their last few albums are painful to sit through.

with GnR i can't think of a band who sounded like them before, or since. i'm not sure what it is that makes them different, and better, to my ear.

Last edited by le roi; 05-16-2011 at 01:27 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 02:24 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,439,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
They had the 60's + 70's sound and greatness that their predecessors had. It's very hard to have the song writing skills along with the musicianship, especially "that" type of guitar playing. Name a Grunge player that can play like that? How about a Pop Tart from '11? I'd say Joe Bonamassa and KWS can play like that. It's not easy and it can't be faked. Why don't they try to imitate them? They have the same mentality as some in this thread. The 60's and 70's style and flare sucks and the new stuff is where it is at. That's fine if they like that kind of music but they should at least know what the hell they are talking about! So why??? Why they ask? They aren't that GOOD!
There were plenty of bands with great guitar players that are/were just plain awful (Winger, Warrant, Dokken, Stryper, Poison, White Lion, Slaughter, etc....). Just because a band has a superstar musician doesn't necessarily mean they are good. People like grunge, indie, noise rock, punk, lo-fi, etc... because it tends to lack some annoying poser d-bag trying to whip out 40 notes per second which, believe it or not, is nothing but an extreme annoyance to many rock music fans.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,776,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
There were plenty of bands with great guitar players that are/were just plain awful (Winger, Warrant, Dokken, Stryper, Poison, White Lion, Slaughter, etc....).

i've never listened to a few of those bands, but winger, warrant, and poison in particular do not have a guitarist the caliber of slash.

i just don't get your opinion -- i never thought of GnR as one of those bands where the goal was to crank out as many guitar notes as possible.

Last edited by le roi; 05-16-2011 at 02:45 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 03:43 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,800,468 times
3:46 on is where it gets serious. WHOA!!!! Please tell me you all feel that?
YouTube - Best Solos of Slash in Guns N' Roses

Last edited by Midnight Rambler; 05-16-2011 at 04:35 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i've never listened to a few of those bands, but winger, warrant, and poison in particular do not have a guitarist the caliber of slash.

i just don't get your opinion -- i never thought of GnR as one of those bands where the goal was to crank out as many guitar notes as possible.
You got it man! +1 I'm pulling my hair out in this thread! LOL Excuses...excuses....excuses....excuses!!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:43 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,531,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
with GnR i can't think of a band who sounded like them before
Really?! Have you ever listened to Aerosmith's "Rocks" album? Tell me that GnR didn't build their sound off of this song:

YouTube - Aerosmith- Nobody's Fault

Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Really?! Have you ever listened to Aerosmith's "Rocks" album? Tell me that GnR didn't build their sound off of this song:

YouTube - Aerosmith- Nobody's Fault
Nah, I'd say more like Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, The Beatles, Van Halen (yes Slash is a EVH fan) and others.

YouTube - Guns N' Roses- Whole Lotta Rosie (London,1987.06.28)

Old 05-16-2011, 10:06 PM

Ah, here we go, three more!

YouTube - Guns N' Roses-Live and Let Die W/Lyrics

YouTube - Zakk Wylde & Slash - Voodoo Child

YouTube - Sympathy For The Devil by Guns N' Roses

Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 PM

Found it!

YouTube - EVH 5150 III - A Conversation in Tone with Eddie Van Halen | Part 1 | Farm TV News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music